• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

*OFFICIAL* 2008 Triple Bypass Thread

mfit

Hey Guys I'm new to the Rising Sun forums. But after looking @ some of your profiles. I know some of you. Guess I am a rock stacker:bowdown::bowdown:

yea yea

Anyways..... I am in the glenwood springs area. I was up in the pearl pass area a few weeks back and there is still tons of snow up that way. I will be making another trip mid July and I will report.

I would really like to run this trail with all of you guys but I will be @ an event in Payson AZ that weekend. If it happens to be a weekend or 2 later. I would like to join you guys.

Last year I ran the FJ team thru those trails. What a blast!! One of my fav. places in CO.

:thumb:

more info. on Triple Bypass run

I just joined and wanted to ask, any reason why a 99 4runner 4x4 with 31's shouldn't go? Also, anything else the club requires me to bring other than personal items? (dues, fees, anything other than my own food and camping gear?)
Look forward to it!

Nick Davis
Flagstaff, AZ:thumb::thumb::thumb:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Any updates on dates for this one? right now I have it marked as Aug 16th and am planning some travel around it..

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I just joined and wanted to ask, any reason why a 99 4runner 4x4 with 31's shouldn't go? Also, anything else the club requires me to bring other than personal items? (dues, fees, anything other than my own food and camping gear?) Look forward to it!
Nick Davis
Flagstaff, AZ:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Hey Nick, did you just join the club or the forum? Either way I guess, no need to bring anything more than you need for regular camping (fee is pretty cheap at campground BTW). If you've attended a meeting or an event with Rising Sun and want to join during this event then bring an application and $50, and we'll discuss it over a fire and dutch oven cooking... ;)

I don't think there's any reason your truck will not do fine on this trail, only one tricky section on a rocky shelf road, but with good spotting and careful driving it should be fine.

Marco, all I know is that the snow is melting pretty fast up there, so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Tincup Pass was still blocked this past weekend by 60-80 yards of snow, though, so ???

Safest thing to do would be to keep that weekend and the following two or three weekends open; I have a feeling the window of accessing Pearl Pass this year is going to be very narrow...

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Go to plan "B"

I just spoke with my Crested Butte contact regarding the road conditions on Pearl Pass. It doesn't look good, and Scofield Pass isn't doing any better. He said that they got 45 feet of snow this year. Although the passes may be melted on all the sunny spots, we are not able to drive to the pass due to what he calls the deep snow plugs, typically in low lying places, that will get in our way. He said both passes have a bunch of snow plugs. On the south side of Scofield, on the sunny side, too, the snow plug was 200 feet deep earlier this year and it's 70 feet deep today. Similar conditions exist on Pearl. It is his opinion that this will be the year that the two passes will not open. There's not enough time to melt the snow before new snow begins to fall. Time to go to plan B, but I'm not sure what plan B is. To be continued.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
I just spoke with my Crested Butte contact regarding the road conditions on Pearl Pass. It doesn't look good, and Scofield Pass isn't doing any better. He said that they got 45 feet of snow this year. Although the passes may be melted on all the sunny spots, we are not able to drive to the pass due to what he calls the deep snow plugs, typically in low lying places, that will get in our way. He said both passes have a bunch of snow plugs. On the south side of Scofield, on the sunny side, too, the snow plug was 200 feet deep earlier this year and it's 70 feet deep today. Similar conditions exist on Pearl. It is his opinion that this will be the year that the two passes will not open. There's not enough time to melt the snow before new snow begins to fall. Time to go to plan B, but I'm not sure what plan B is. To be continued.

What about Williams Pass?

capen4

tbp

groucho
would the dodge make it ok on this one?
were going to be in the mountains that weekend and thought it might bea good run to catch.

Convert

Hard Core 4+

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
The Romers are interested in doing this one, waiting on Plan B

rover67

Rising Sun Member
do we think plan "b" will fall on the same weekend?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Good question. Maybe pushing to September would help?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Good question. Maybe pushing to September would help?

That's when it will start snowing again up there. ;)

TBP Sept. 2006:

94369992_oq4r4-M.jpg

94374116_k5Z9W-M.jpg

94374919_nS9kx-M-1.jpg

94375767_SCnZm-M.jpg

94387037_2x4Mr-M.jpg

94388657_CpU7c-M.jpg

94390628_gNMfR-M-1.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
yes, You pretty much need to camp sat night min since wheeling sat is long. Friday people roll in at all hours depending on when they get off work. One year I pulled into camp at 11 or so friday night after working then picking up a crib and putting it together for the wife etc.

Last year I got up and left denver at 6 and caught them on the Trail. I was familiar with the trail and my ability to wheel alone til I caught up with them though. This was one of my biggest factors for getting Ham enabled.

If it's your first time I recommend rolling into camp at a decent hour on friday evening since the run usually starts at 8 sharp and staying sat night.:thumb:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
From the information I am able to gather, it appears that all three passes are currently closed. Bushduck's confirms this. Let's give it until Monday, let some weekend wheeling take place. At that time, I'll call my Crested Butte contact again, plus, Bushduck's web site information might be updated, too. I don't think moving this trip into September is a good plan since it will start snowing on those passes by then. In addition, our Ouray trip is two weeks after the current TBP trip date of August 16th. Two back to back trips that far from Denver would be tough.

With all the wheeling, quad, or dirt bike traffic on these passes, especially on weekends, let's revisit trail conditions on Monday and take it from there.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
sounds good, let us know :)

man, the passes seem impenetrable...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Is that from the Aspen side I'm guessing?