• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So here it is. I hope that this can be another of the many exciting and fun trips Rising Sun Does this summer.

Just for and idea of what this trip has been like in the past:

A quick paced run over 3 mountain passes in one day. Typically run the third weekend in August due to snowpack levels limiting travel. (This will not be the case this year, as the 3rd weekend in Aug is the TLCA Rally). It is usually at least an overnight, but early birds could be at trailhead if a one day run is desired. Head out on friday after work, camp overnight, do the run then head home.

Typically the pass choices have included--
Pearl Pass
Taylor Pass
Schofield Pass
Italian Creek Pass (alternate)

Pass choice depends on snowpack, pass choice gives two very different routes with equally great scenery and challenge.

Starting/camping/lodging points have been:
Dorchester Campground in Taylor Park, over Cottonwood Pass, just west of Buena Vista.
OR
Crested Butte.

Some cool visiting points are the town of Ashcroft between Pearl and Taylor Passes, and Taylor Lake, just below Taylor Pass. This has always been a fun trip, and I don't ever remember the same things happening twice.

Please post interest and ideas for dates, keeping in mind the earlier it is attempted, the more likelyhood of being blocked by snow. Final dates probably will be set based on interest and availability of dates.

Nathaniel.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I could be in if it's the weekend after the rally.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Tbp

I called my contact in Crested Butte yesterday to check on snow levels and depths. She said the snow is very deep in the trees at low elevations due to above average snowpack last winter. Most all roads leading up to the high country are impassable. When I asked about getting over Pearl Pass anytime soon, she laughed and said the snow was too deep to even get close. It looks like trip dates for the TBP this year will be tentative, as usual, but probably the 2nd half of August. The TBP trip date will have to take into consideration the RS Rally and our daughter's August 19 wedding. The trip leaves Crested Butte at 8:00 AM sharp, takes us over, in order, Pearl Pass to Ashcroft, over Taylor Pass down into Taylor Park, then over Italian Creek Pass with its pucker power shelf road, down into Crested Butte. The trip officially ends at the pub in CB with a cold brew pop. I'll continue to check snow conditions and report back here.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bruce Miller said:
I called my contact in Crested Butte yesterday to check on snow levels and depths. She said the snow is very deep in the trees at low elevations due to above average snowpack last winter. Most all roads leading up to the high country are impassable. When I asked about getting over Pearl Pass anytime soon, she laughed and said the snow was too deep to even get close. It looks like trip dates for the TBP this year will be tentative, as usual, but probably the 2nd half of August. The TBP trip date will have to take into consideration the RS Rally and our daughter's August 19 wedding. The trip leaves Crested Butte at 8:00 AM sharp, takes us over, in order, Pearl Pass to Ashcroft, over Taylor Pass down into Taylor Park, then over Italian Creek Pass with its pucker power shelf road, down into Crested Butte. The trip officially ends at the pub in CB with a cold brew pop. I'll continue to check snow conditions and report back here.

I wanna go.....its an awesome trip! Timing will be everything!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Now that I have the 80 built, I'd love to go on this run. Our summer schedule is packed -- but Labor Day weekend might be a good option for us.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
I heard the owners of the Idlespur brewery in the Butte sold and it's going to be a clothing store now. That's really sucks. I was camping on Italian Creek last weekend and we only made it 3/4 of the way up to the first pass on the Italian trail. Huge snows up there this year.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I've run it the weekend after Labor Day. :eek: :D

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Date for TBP

<EDIT>"Saturday, September 9th. The meeting place will be the Dorchester Campground at 8:00 AM that Saturday morning. Dorchester Campground is on the north side of Taylor Park and the Taylor Reservoir."<EDIT>

We realize there is a conflict with the Jenny Creek work session, but as of last Sunday, Pearl Pass is still blocked due to snow, we can't go too late into September, due to new snow, and our daughter's wedding is August 19th.

Historically, the TBP has been the 3rd Saturday of August. We can't do Labor Day weekend since we are wheeling in Ouray that weekend.

Please post if you are planning on going so we can look for you in Dorchesterthat Saturday morning.

Admin edit old date and meeting place to new sept 9th date and meeting place

Last edited by a moderator:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I would love to make this trip but I am too involved with the Jenny Creek project.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bruce Miller said:
We realize there is a conflict with the Jenny Creek work session, but as of last Sunday, Pearl Pass is still blocked due to snow, we can't go too late into September, due to new snow, and our daughter's wedding is August 19th.

Historically, the TBP has been the 3rd Saturday of August. We can't do Labor Day weekend since we are wheeling in Ouray that weekend.

Please post if you are planning on going so we can look for you in Crested Butte that Saturday morning.

I hope this does not compete for volunteers for the Jenny Creek project. It is a major opportunity for the club; I really tried to shoehorn it in a time that worked for the club.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
TBP Proposed Date Change

Due to the amount of interest in the Jenny Creek project and in the Triple Bypass trip, we can change the trip date to Saturday, September 9th. It doesn't matter which date we go, we're happy to make this trip on the date most popular with club members.

The down side to September 9th is, if you were planning joining us in Ouray, then you're doing two runs back to back.

In order to determine which date, we will go with the majority. We will start another thread with a poll. Vote for your choice of dates.

For the poll, go here:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1784

wesintl

RS Moderator
Do you think Pearl will be open the 9th? Or can you not do that before the wedding?

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
August 9th is a Wednesday. It was made perfectly clear to me by the boss that I am not wheeling in the few weeks just prior to the wedding.

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Bruce Miller said:
Due to the amount of interest in the Jenny Creek project and in the Triple Bypass trip, we can change the trip date to Saturday, September 9th. It doesn't matter which date we go, we're happy to make this trip on the date most popular with club members.

The down side to September 9th is, if you were planning joining us in Ouray, then you're doing two runs back to back.

In order to determine which date, we will go with the majority. We will start another thread with a poll. Vote for your choice of dates.

For the poll, go here:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1784

Just wanted to point out that if you do either date 8-26 or 9-9 and the ouray trip you are doing back to back weekends.

Bruce, I'm in for both ouray and bypass (doesn't matter which day for the bypass run). Will most likely camp in ouray at the amphitheater campground (about 1 mi south of town).

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bruce Miller said:
Due to the amount of interest in the Jenny Creek project and in the Triple Bypass trip, we can change the trip date to Saturday, September 9th.
THANKYOU, Bruce!:thumb:
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.
Very cool.:cheers:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
3 hours. That's how long we figure the drive is from the intersection of C-470 and Highway 285 to Crested Butte. That's driving Highway 285 to Buena Vista, then driving over Cottonwood Pass and down into Taylor Park, around the dam, and down the Taylor River to Forest Service road #813, the cutoff to Jack's Cabin, then from Jack's Cabin up Highway 135 2 miles into CB.

Since the brew pub in CB has been sold and is closed, we are thinking of changing the starting/finishing point to the Dorchester Campground area which is on the north side of Taylor Park. We then 4 wheel over Italian Creek Pass towards Crested Butte, then over Pearl Pass to Ashcroft then over Taylor Pass to the Dorchester Campground area. This area is loaded with group camping spots and out of the fee area like Dorchester.

So, if you're thinking the Triple Bypass is far from home, it's possible to wake early in your Denver home, drive to the start point by 8:00 AM, make the run and be back home by 9:00 PM. If we camp in Taylor Park near Dorchester, the drive is shortened by about 1/2 hour.

Driving up Friday after work and camping might make be a little more enjoyable. We'll have a group campfire, sit out under the stars and tell wheeling stories.

Hope to see you at this, the 7th annual Triple Bypass.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
As a result of the poll, this year's 7th annual TBP trip will be on Saturday, September 9th. The meeting place will be the Dorchester Campground at 8:00 AM that Saturday morning. Dorchester Campground is on the north side of Taylor Park and the Taylor Reservoir.

We think the fastest route to Dorchester from Denver is Highway 285 to Buena Vista, then out of Buena Vista over Cottonwood Pass and down into Taylor Park. Where the Cottonwood Pass road dead ends at Taylor Reservoir, turn right or north and drive to Dorchester Campground. We think this trip will take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I've added it to the calendar.

gosh. I'd really love to do schofield. I'll see if I can do it fri or maybe sunday.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Triple Bypass is added to our calander. Really looking forward to this run.
Dan