• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Train Trip 2022

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I'm good with option 1 but will go in on option 2 if we need the #s. I do need to check with the wife to see if she can make it. Her nursing schedule is always switching so makes it hard to say she's in. So for now just put down 1....Thx.

Trail Bum

Rising Sun Member
I'm good for option one also. I'm not sure if Jenny can attend so put us down for one.

Planner1

Rising Sun Member
We have another couple joining us from Santa Fe. They will not ride the train.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Dang, great to see all this excitement. Sorry for not checking in on my own thread.

As for the train ride, I'm open for whatever the group decides.

:beer::beer:

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
I found this clip of Bryan Cranston doing a reading of Blood Meridian for the state of New Mexico. 90 seconds. Pretty epic reading and scenery. This could be a trailer for the train trip.

Last edited:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
We're going to bow out...We have a good friend who's cancer has relapsed, and want to go visit instead.

Enjoy the weekend folks!!

bh4rnnr

I'm still in for this trip but don't know if it'll be just me or wife too. I or we will want to ride the train.

Look forward to having you guys along!

We're going to bow out...We have a good friend who's cancer has relapsed, and want to go visit instead.

Enjoy the weekend folks!!

Bummer Kurt! But glad your able to get to spend some time with you friend.

If it's not too late, count me in +1

Got you on the list!

bh4rnnr

Alright all,

@DanS was kind enough to get a group reservation set for our train ride on the 11th June- A Saturday.

Here's the info you'll need to tell them when booking your ticket: Antonito 8:30 am bus departure to Chama. Return to Antonito by train from Chama. When booking your ticket, ask to be seated with "Daniel Silbaugh".

This will be a full (awesome) day train ride.

I will update original post with this info.

Getting excited for the trip!

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Hey folks as Perry noted the reservation is started!

They are doing it a little different than previous years.

You want to call the railroad (1-888-286-2737) and book the
All Aboard Antonito Excursion B/A/C 11-Jun-22
8:30 AM from Antonito

Just tell them you know me (Daniel Silbaugh) and ask to be seated in the same car.

The railroad will then put us all together!

For anyone not familiar, that will mean that on Saturday, June 11 we will get to Antonito at 8AM, and ride a bus that leaves Antonito at 8:30 to Chama. We will then ride the train from Chama to Antonito and be returned to our trucks around 4:30PM, and back to the campsite around 5 that night. Lunch is provided by the railroad with the cost of your ticket.

Dan

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Quick note: Currently the Carson NF (which the C&TS partly operates, and where we plan to camp) is closed for fire danger.

The railroad is still figuring out what this will mean. I’m keeping my tickets, and will reschedule if need be once the C&TS knows more.

Dan

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
What does this mean for our standard campsite near Sublette?

Edit: found this info. Looks like CO side is still “normal”, NM side has a fireworks, explosives, sparks restriction.

EA46FC7D-CBE9-40A9-9B91-420310FBEEBC.jpeg

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
In looking to see about if the C&TS has announced any plans for the fire restrictions, I did notice that out of Antonito on the 11th there is a dinner special being pulled by #168. It goes Antotnito to Cumbres, dinner at Cumbres and then my guess is 168 pulls the train to Chama and folks either go to Chama or Antonito by bus. Something else we can chase if we wanted to on Saturday.