• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Train Trip 2022

DanS

Rising Sun Member
In looking to see about if the C&TS has announced any plans for the fire restrictions, I did notice that out of Antonito on the 11th there is a dinner special being pulled by #168. It goes Antotnito to Cumbres, dinner at Cumbres and then my guess is 168 pulls the train to Chama and folks either go to Chama or Antonito by bus. Something else we can chase if we wanted to on Saturday.
Oh, you noticed that too? Some evening pictures of 168 westbound? Yes please. ;)

I understand the railroad was scheduled to meet with the USFS officials today. So I'm guessing another couple days before we learn more.

Dan

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Hey folks as Perry noted the reservation is started!

They are doing it a little different than previous years.

You want to call the railroad (1-888-286-2737) and book the
All Aboard Antonito Excursion B/A/C 11-Jun-22
8:30 AM from Antonito

Just tell them you know me (Daniel Silbaugh) and ask to be seated in the same car.

The railroad will then put us all together!

For anyone not familiar, that will mean that on Saturday, June 11 we will get to Antonito at 8AM, and ride a bus that leaves Antonito at 8:30 to Chama. We will then ride the train from Chama to Antonito and be returned to our trucks around 4:30PM, and back to the campsite around 5 that night. Lunch is provided by the railroad with the cost of your ticket.

Dan
I just booked a ticket. For someone reason I’m not getting the usual notifications when this thread is updated. If you guys make any last minute changes, can someone give me a call? 443-223-9025. Looking forward to this!

Note: 24 tickets left as of this post, though I’m not sure which train cars they’re in…

Last edited:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Alright all,

This is hard for me to do, but with the current conditions and how dry things are for New Mexico right now ( was hopping they'd get some moisture from this last storm), feel it best to hold off on this run. I just don't feel right having a big group down there during these extreme conditions.

Currently, Carson National Forest is closed till at least mid July. The C&TS operates through a big chunk of Carson NF.

Unless @DanS and @Groucho hear anything that makes it a go, feel it best to wait for better conditions.

@DanielChase , sorry to post this right after you got a ticket.

I might be jumping the guns a bit to early on this since there isn't news from the railroad and happy to here others thoughts. But as stated,I just don't feel right leading a big group during these bad conditions.

:beer::beer:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Alright all,

This is hard for me to do, but with the current conditions and how dry things are for New Mexico right now ( was hopping they'd get some moisture from this last storm), feel it best to hold off on this run. I just don't feel right having a big group down there during these extreme conditions.

Currently, Carson National Forest is closed till at least mid July. The C&TS operates through a big chunk of Carson NF.

Unless @DanS and @Groucho hear anything that makes it a go, feel it best to wait for better conditions.

@DanielChase , sorry to post this right after you got a ticket.

I might be jumping the guns a bit to early on this since there isn't news from the railroad and happy to here others thoughts. But as stated,I just don't feel right leading a big group during these bad conditions.

I understand! While we could forgo a fire, we would still be riding the train spewing cinders! Would you imagine pushing the run a few weeks to see if it improves, or shoot for a fall run potentially?

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Ok. We are out than. We look forward to the ghost town run.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
IIRC They will honor tickets at later dates.

My guess is that they’ll have to run the water tank car and extra fire patrol but they won’t shut down. But that’s a guess.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
IIRC They will honor tickets at later dates.

My guess is that they’ll have to run the water tank car and extra fire patrol but they won’t shut down. But that’s a guess.

My guess is that the railroad will figure out mitigation measures to allow the railroad to run. But there's be no chasing available, and camping would be right out.

I'm still waiting for the railroad to publish a plan, but I'm with Perry--this probably just isn't the time to go camping up there. Could be rain, but not terribly likely at this point for the early season.

The railroad has always moved tickets to later dates without an issue too.

Dan

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yup. Except for the damage due to fire at Lobato trestle several years back, I don’t remember the last time they were shut down completely for fire concerns. Plus, with the conversion of 489 to oil (not something I prefer as I love shoveling coal) the move to minimize those impacts will come even more. The D&SNGRR is doing it, and I get it—you won’t be able to insure or keep operating when every other year you’re paying for damages due to cinders starting fires.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
DSNGRR also bought a couple of diesels out of AK and hauled them down here for high fire danger. Two steam engines arrived in silverton today though.

6E09173D-5848-4201-94C9-EE72662F1D86.jpeg

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Another consideration…

I’m wondering if this accelerates thoughts of rescheduling.
The air assets being put on that fire are wild. A 10 and an 87 out of ABQ, plus two Avros from DRO, and a handful of SEATS and helicopters.

The USFS has not granted the C&TS a waiver to enter the Carson (which would be necessary for the lunch service as Osier), but did grant a waiver for the contractors working on the dining hall and it’s fire suppression system.

The C&TS commission has a meeting June 1, with the sole agenda item to approve a revised operating schedule. The Friends of the C&TS cancelled a scheduled special train for June 17, and then there’s the Menkhaven fire…. My money is on delaying or significantly altering the schedule in June. The railroads president has stated that the monsoon forecast looks pretty good.

Either way, I don’t see there being good (or any) access for what we want to do: hang out with cruiser friends and ride and chase the train. We might be able to ride (emphasis on might) but virtually nothing else of interest to a cruiser club IMHO, so bagging the trip is the best call. It’ll be there later, and we can go then too.

@Corbet the D&SNGs move to convert a bunch of steam locomotives to oil, and acquire those Dl535s from theWhite Pass is looking pretty brilliant to me right now. The C&TS has only converted one locomotive (489) to oil, which will seriously limit their ability to operate due to fire danger, even if the forest were opened. As much as I love coal fired steam locomotives (there’s an art to firing, as @Groucho can attest) it’s going to be a bigger and bigger issue as time goes on.

Dan

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thread jack, but @Corbet is showing No. 480 and 482, which the D&SNG had already owned. In fact 482 was once owned by C&TS and traded to D&SNG in the 90s.

Both 482 and 480 were converted to burn oil last year, so good to see them back!

In case someone's just scrolling through, they are not the old Alaskan WP&YR locomotives, which are diesel-electric like Dan says. These are cool in a different, mid-century modern funky way. Digging it.

I kinda hope they keep the original paint but I assume they'll get the red/orange like Motive 1201 and 1202. I'm thinking the 6-axle DL535s MLWs should be better than the 4-axle MP2000NG Motives in the mountains.

wpy2.jpg

IMG_20201115_220321_929.jpg

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
@DaveInDenver So far they have kept the green/yellow.

@DanS DSNGRR effort to convert to waste oil started before the 416 fire but now they definitely have more pressure to do more. They also bought the 4 white pass locomotives before the fire but did not get them delivered and running prior. It’s my understanding that they have two running from the four “parts” rigs. That was their goal.

Our article from Durango Magazine.
139846F2-4E7B-4636-B34F-A651BF41F749.jpeg

Last edited:

DanS

Rising Sun Member
@DaveInDenver So far they have kept the green/yellow.

@DanS DSNGRR effort to convert to waste oil started before the 416 fire but now they definitely have more pressure to do more. They also bought the 4 white pass locomotives before the fire but did not get them delivered and running prior. It’s my understanding that they have two running from the four “parts” rigs. That was their goal.

Our article from Durango Magazine.
View attachment 104539
One (107) is keeping the green/yellow livery. The others are in red/yellow. I think both look great.

I believe there are now 3 running, two regularly. Sure beats those ugly old GP40/MP2000 things IMHO.

Dan

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Another consideration…

I’m wondering if this accelerates thoughts of rescheduling.

The air assets being put on that fire are wild. A 10 and an 87 out of ABQ, plus two Avros from DRO, and a handful of SEATS and helicopters.

The USFS has not granted the C&TS a waiver to enter the Carson (which would be necessary for the lunch service as Osier), but did grant a waiver for the contractors working on the dining hall and it’s fire suppression system.

The C&TS commission has a meeting June 1, with the sole agenda item to approve a revised operating schedule. The Friends of the C&TS cancelled a scheduled special train for June 17, and then there’s the Menkhaven fire…. My money is on delaying or significantly altering the schedule in June. The railroads president has stated that the monsoon forecast looks pretty good.

Either way, I don’t see there being good (or any) access for what we want to do: hang out with cruiser friends and ride and chase the train. We might be able to ride (emphasis on might) but virtually nothing else of interest to a cruiser club IMHO, so bagging the trip is the best call. It’ll be there later, and we can go then too.

@Corbet the D&SNGs move to convert a bunch of steam locomotives to oil, and acquire those Dl535s from theWhite Pass is looking pretty brilliant to me right now. The C&TS has only converted one locomotive (489) to oil, which will seriously limit their ability to operate due to fire danger, even if the forest were opened. As much as I love coal fired steam locomotives (there’s an art to firing, as @Groucho can attest) it’s going to be a bigger and bigger issue as time goes on.

Dan

I just received a phone call from the railroad, and they have to reschedule our trip.

Sadly,

I definitely feel it's best we hold off/cancel the run right now.

If things look better and the C&TS is able to adjust there schedule as conditions hopefully improve, we'll take a look at doing the trip then, otherwise, we'll come back next year and make it an awesome one!

Been looking forward to this years run:confused:.