• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Train Trip 2022

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Cool video from this February of the Cumbres Toltec train with a steam rotary snow clearing setup.

Cant wait to watch the whole 39 minutes!

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Cool video from this February of the Cumbres Toltec train with a steam rotary snow clearing setup.

Just a quick note: That’s from Feb 28/Mar 1, 2020, not this year.

That was supposed to kick off the railroad’s 50th anniversary year, but about a week after this is when everything ground to a halt. So the “other festivities” were pushed back to last year. Namely the Victorian Iron Horse Roundup, which went off in late August, 2021. Which was amazing. Eureka and Glenbrook visited from CA/NV, and RGS20 even came down from the CRRM.

But as cool as the VIHR was, the 2020 rotary was cooler. And even having been there, some of these videos do a good job capturing the sounds of all that. Truly the most amazing mechanical cacophony I’ve ever heard (and I get to hear a DC-6 a couple times a month usually)!

Dan

DanS

Rising Sun Member
OK folks!

There is train trip news!

Decisions to be made about riding the train, and stuff!

We need a firm count on who is interested, and in what option--No Later than April 3, 2022.

We will ride the train on Saturday, June 11. That is opening day of the C&TS this year, and the plan is to chase it Sunday and Sunday morning so people can hop back to the front range relatively easily. But we have a couple options for riding on Saturday, largely dependent upon how many people want to join in, and at what cost. A reminder, you are also more than welcome to chase the train on Saturday instead of riding, that's absolutely fine too. I have volunteered to hang back and do a photo hike/chase on Saturday if enough people would prefer that to riding the train. So here's the options:

1. Everybody buy coach tickets, in a group. This is the least expensive option ($135 per adult)
  2. Caboose! We can charter a caboose, but space is highly limited to 10 people comfortably. ($300 per adult)
  3. Caboose plus Deluxe Car tickets for a few people (caboose $300 each and Deluxe car $195 each).

We can filter in and out of the caboose if we do option 3, so everybody gets a chance to ride in the cupola, and of course the open car is available for everyone. If the weather is nice I'm guessing most people will spend most of the time in the open car.

I know $300 is a lot for a day, but it's something pretty special, which is why I inquired about it from the Railroad. I've ridden about every way possible, and the caboose is by far the best views (aside from the open car) and it's kind of nice to have a private car on the end of the train so we don't have to feel like we are imposing cruiser chat on anybody else. But they are all great ways to ride. I've ridden the whole way in the open car (aside from waiting for the conductor to check tickets) and that's a pretty close second too.

To recap: please respond here, which option you prefer, or if you prefer to not ride the train on Saturday at all, no later than April 3. I told Abigail that I'd get her an answer that next week.

Looking forward to it!

Dan

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
I will not be able to make a decision whether if I can or not by that time frame. Result of Medical determination and Rx pending. Sucks

3rdGen4R

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
What other medical needs are going on with this group ;) Cheapest option for us most likely is what we would go for.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
What other medical needs are going on with this group ;) Cheapest option for us most likely is what we would go for.
we are all just getting old. Soon we will be discussion ADA compliant backcountry camping spots.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
option 1

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Still uncertain if we will put this trip in stone. We have an upcoming event we committed to and have yet to hear the date. That said, Carolyn and I will only hang out and chase for the weekend if we attend...no train for us...

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
I will not be able to make a decision whether if I can or not by that time frame. Result of Medical determination and Rx pending. Sucks
Edited for whining.

Last edited:

Planner1

Rising Sun Member
We are in. If there are enough for the Caboose, we will support that, otherwise option 1. We are reaching out to a couple other folks who maybe interested as well.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I'm gonna have to skip this trip this year. Logistically just not going to work I'm afraid.