• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Tire talk

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
How is the highway noise between the Ridge Grappler and the Maxis tires? l’m running Terra Grapplers on my FZJ80 daily driver and really like them, but Nitto has discontinued them. I’m also interested on opinions on the Falken Wildpeaks. I do a fair amount of cross country driving so noise and comfort takes priority. Thanks for any advice!
I would say the highway noise is low and manageable. The Maxxis site has a few customer reviews on this topic https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/razr-at/. The Nitto Ridge Grappler was about as loud as these Razr ATs so I wouldn't rank one above the other but the Razr do outperform the Ridge Grapplers in the snow and ice by a long shot.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I ran IROCKS when we first got here. They sucked in the mountains. Ran Holy Cross w/ a decent sized group. Everyone on IROCKS had a hell of a time at the Tippy Tree obstacle. Everyone else walked it. Same for Carnage Canyon in BV. The waterfall w/ the IROCKS sucked.
Good to know. Did you run radials or the bias ply version?
:ROFLMAO: Sorry Dom, but this just shows your are truly a full size blazer guy at heart still!!! Those tires are so ugly they belong on a chevy!!!

‘Merica
View attachment 116018

...kidding, sort of.
I am a product of my environment, growing up with monster trucks, mud racing, tractor pulls and tuff truck racing had a profound impact on me as a child.:dunno:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
@DomOfTheDead, I can see all those tires being great for clay and silt (swamps, deciduous forests with a lot of leaf detritus) but out here and in moab (fine to course grain sands up to cobbles and boulder size rocks as well as sandstone slabs and igneous and metamorphic slabs) I think they will falter. In my opinion, a tire with more surface area and tighter lug pattern will excel at holding to the surface of slabs better than a lug that will flex and chunk. They will also stay on top of sandy surfaces better instead of digging down into the sands. Where people with KO2s were crawling up the slick rock sandstone in Moab, I was chirping and slipping with my KM2s and 3s.
As far as snow, the big lug tires will perform gray at chewing through heavier snow and drifts like paddle wheels. If there is a crust thick enough to hold up a truck, those will likely break through and you will be fighting axle and frame drag. Just my 2 cents.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
@DomOfTheDead, I can see all those tires being great for clay and silt (swamps, deciduous forests with a lot of leaf detritus) but out here and in moab (fine to course grain sands up to cobbles and boulder size rocks as well as sandstone slabs and igneous and metamorphic slabs) I think they will falter. In my opinion, a tire with more surface area and tighter lug pattern will excel at holding to the surface of slabs better than a lug that will flex and chunk. They will also stay on top of sandy surfaces better instead of digging down into the sands. Where people with KO2s were crawling up the slick rock sandstone in Moab, I was chirping and slipping with my KM2s and 3s.
As far as snow, the big lug tires will perform gray at chewing through heavier snow and drifts like paddle wheels. If there is a crust thick enough to hold up a truck, those will likely break through and you will be fighting axle and frame drag. Just my 2 cents.
Well said and I do agree with this. However, in my experience, a high void ratio tire with wider footprint does work well with heavier trucks and suits my driving style. The tsl/sx i had in the past worked well in moab and locally too. Crusty snow is tough to find traction no matter what.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I have become obsessed with the Baja Boss MT on the 80. They surprisingly are reasonable on the highway and unstoppable on dirt. Also the first true MT I have owned. They are wearing great.

Next vehicle will get a set of Razr Maxis MT to try out.

I also still think the Duratrac is the best on road / off road / winter tire available. Change my mind. I have had many sets and only one puncture which was 100% driver error. I dont blame the tire since I also ruined the rim, spindle, and tire rod when it failed.

Last edited:

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
The 16.5" wide Pitbulls have worked well on my 4runner for years, but only if I let all the air out of them. (4psi) All my mates have moved to stickies, though, and are wearing me out. Time to upgrade...

Mark

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I’m a BFG fella however no tyre talk would be worth the printing on a white wall without a what what for the Falken Wildpeak. I went this way last time to shake things up. I’ve found the hype mostly true. Good AT perirmance, good on snow, good wear. I will say that 4 years on that they do seem to be suffering from the same reduction in snow the KO does. Is it the tread gets harder as it wears or the dry climate? I dunno. But even now I’d call them still as good as a new KO in snow. Just not amaze balls anymore.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned General Tires. I had a set of red label Grabbers on my Raptor that I was pretty happy with, and now a set of X3 Grabbers on the Cruiser. I was a BFG-only guy before, AT's / MT's, and the MT's got wicket noisy as they wore and the AT's were not quite aggressive enough.

Anyway, had the X3's on for ~4 years now and am still happy with them. Slightly more road noise, but they are due for a rotation.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
My name is Adam and I like tires. I like the color, I like the smell, I love the marks they leave behind!

I am on my 1st set of KM3s and love them. They are overkill for the "mud" here in Colorado. Good in the snow, sketchy on hard pack snow or ice. 60k+ miles out of my last 3 sets of KM2s so waiting to see how these go. Great in clay and silt mud, pretty good on slickrock but leave something to be desired. Great in sand. Good road manners and stopping in wet conditions.

Bought some Michelin cross climates for the wife's RX and drove them in snow and rain covered roads, sheeting water on pavement rain, at 85 mph. These things are amazing! Pricey but 60k warranty so should have longevity. The way these clear the rain, slush and stick to the snow was mindblowing!

I have Toyo open country A/T on the work truck and these work great in the snow and mud. Also great on pavement. No idea on longevity.
How do you like the KM3's on the highway?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Per 4WP, Interco tires has certain lines no longer available (LTB and bigger LTBs) and production is limited so order times are 2-6 months out. Shipment dates are only estimated, possibly longer. Maxxis are available in limited quantities due to demand with prices on the high end ($680 each for 35x12.5x16 bias ply trepador:oops:). I know anyone running 37+ have seen this type of cost numbers or higher, but for bias ply 35s, that's rough.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Hi, my name is Corbet and I have a thing for tires. So much so I have two sets of tires for everything I drive.

Double up on your tires and don’t look back. Yo get so much more tire euphoria shopping for more tires. One set for daily driving with good HWY and snow performance like a Duratrac or General AT. And then you can go all in on offroad tires be it a M/T or all the way to an Interco bias ply.

I’ve said it before but I’ll echo it here again. All of you praising snow performance on any M/T is comical. Snow tires with studs are where it’s at in the winter.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
All of you praising snow performance on any M/T is comical. Snow tires with studs are where it’s at in the winter.
Maybe for you suckers who get 11 months of winter and a weekend of summer.

But then again people still talk about the winter when we had two, two fer Goodness sake, storms that required a shovel.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Studded tires cause human health problems and increased particulate pollution, as well as ripping up the roads. They are not necessary in CO where the roads usually are not iced over to the point where you would notice a significant difference between a good set of snows without studs. And if there is no ice then you actually have worse traction.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Then run studless snows🤷‍♂️ Either will offer significantly better winter traction than any M/T. My subdivision is iced over for 4 months with steep narrow mtn roads. Studs offer much better traction. We are in the middle of a studless experiment on the Subaru’s but will be returning to studded winter tires next round.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There’s no question in that dedicated snow tires are effective. I do agree that studs have some compromises if you’re not on ice all the time, which is of course the reason studless are probably ideal for most of Colorado. The main caveat is studless cannot be left on in spring, one warm season will eat them up. That's one reason we don't run them. No where to store them, no budget to have two sets. Another things is road maintenance orgs H8 tire studs, they’re brutal on pavement.

In any case either type of snow tire isn’t practical on my truck. But no more than an MT is either I have one truck and, for example, I put down 900 miles of interstate getting to Reno followed by a Donner Pass tire chain check on the same trip.

Which is why I’m fond of these Falkens. They do about as well as any tire at being equally marginal at everything and for real winter they take chains pretty well.

We’re lucky to have options still, different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Yota_addict

Wincher
Curious if anyone has tried these cheap tires. They are thunderer ranger atr. They look similar to a toyo at. Looking to buy these for my daily driver but can’t find any good info.
AC102709-EDFE-42D6-A58A-9DC89C2F6F8F.jpeg
86D4AEF8-A6C3-4F0A-8360-1E06A61DB0E7.jpeg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Swapped my well worn 305/70 STTs onto my old 80 wheels. These will go on the wife's truck as testing and temp rollers until her truck is ready for new shoes.
16873091735507939364049570393887.jpg

And mounted 315/75 mud grapplers on the chrome steelies
20230618_154527.jpg
the wheels are 16x7 so I am keeping an eye on excessive center tread wear and experimenting with different PSI to find a good on-road pressure. So far, road noise is far less than anticipated at mild howl but not the b17 bomber I was expecting.

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
At SEMA 2021, Kenda had a booth with a super awesome-looking mud tire they were planning on releasing. It’s out now, called the KR629. They make a 37 in a load range D, which is what I plan to run after my Grabber MT’s wear out. At just over a grand, it’s a pretty budget-friendly option. Haven’t seen any reviews yet as they were just released this year and hardly anyone has them.
IMG_0347.jpeg