Tire talk

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Swapped my well worn 305/70 STTs onto my old 80 wheels. These will go on the wife's truck as testing and temp rollers until her truck is ready for new shoes.
View attachment 116802
And mounted 315/75 mud grapplers on the chrome steeliesView attachment 116803the wheels are 16x7 so I am keeping an eye on excessive center tread wear and experimenting with different PSI to find a good on-road pressure. So far, road noise is far less than anticipated at mild howl but not the b17 bomber I was expecting.
Chalk test for psi. It works great.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
At SEMA 2021, Kenda had a booth with a super awesome-looking mud tire they were planning on releasing. It’s out now, called the KR629. They make a 37 in a load range D, which is what I plan to run after my Grabber MT’s wear out. At just over a grand, it’s a pretty budget-friendly option. Haven’t seen any reviews yet as they were just released this year and hardly anyone has them. View attachment 116805
I am very happy with the Kenda Klever A/T2 and the R/T.
The R/T is on LongCruiser in a 35x10.5. Load Range D. 8800 LB truck (empty) rides great at 60 PSI
The A/T2 is on my other 80 in a 285/75R16 Load Range E. 7200 lb truck full. Rides great at 40 PSI. I wheel it at 15 - 19 PSI
I'm due for a next set of the A/T

EDIT - JUST bought a new set for the green 80 in a 285/75R16.
The Walmart is selling the E rated for $178 each. Bare tire, no installation. (do not confuse with the SL for $169) The other shops are $239 each.

Last edited:

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
New shoes including spare. Stuck with what I had, cause I am happy with them. From Wal Mart, to get them rotated every so often. Thread had me go nuts, for a bit. IMG_8239.jpeg

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Did you know that Pirelli makes an off-road tire?

IMG_5607.jpeg

IMG_5608.jpeg

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
How is Wally World as far as honoring their warranty for offroad punctures?

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@Hulk When I lived in Uganda there were very few options for decent tires, most of them being Chinese. Ling Long was the most available and reasonably priced. Another was GT, which I think was made in Indonesia.
There were a couple of other options that were also made in China but I couldn’t tell you what they were called. Aside from the cheap Chinese brands, there were a couple of premium options, Pirelli and Dunlop. These two brands were very expensive and quite hard to find. Especially in sizes larger than 31”.
Because Ugandan roads are so hard on tires, the cheap Chinese tires took up most of the shop’s inventory. If you wanted a premium or even a decent tire, you had to find a shop that could order it, usually from South Africa or Kenya.
I did see the Pirellis you posted occasionally but the tires that were most desired for the Land Cruiser were the Pirelli MT.
IMG_1014.jpeg

I never paid much attention to the Dunlops that were available, mostly because they were also very expensive and nearly impossible to find in a size larger than 30”. Occasionally I would see the Dunlop mud rover but mostly just the grand trek.
IMG_1015.jpeg

After looking for some time, I finally found a good compromise regarding quality and cost. Nexen is made in Korea and offers a mud terrain. They were more expensive than the Chinese brands but way cheaper than Dunlop and Pirelli. I was able to get a set of 31x10.50/15 mud terrains for my Prado. These turned out to be a great tire and I would consider Nexen a quality brand.
IMG_1659.jpegIMG_1658.jpeg

I very much considered Ling long to be a terrible and cheap tire, and I never considered putting them on my Prado. Now I see them here in the states occasionally. I think they have dropped the Ling long on the sidewalls and they just say crosswind.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I found the Nexen Roadian MTX 285/75 16s for pretty cheap on Amazon last July. After looking over the reviews I pulled the trigger and put them on the wife's 100 Series. They have been awesome tires and are really wearing well. I would totally recommend them to anybody. And the wife loves them, so double bonus! :)

1687453011773.jpeg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
There were a couple of other options that were also made in China but I couldn’t tell you what they were called. Aside from the cheap Chinese brands, there were a couple of premium options, Pirelli and Dunlop. These two brands were very expensive and quite hard to find. Especially in sizes larger than 31”.
Because Ugandan roads are so hard on tires, the cheap Chinese tires took up most of the shop’s inventory. If you wanted a premium or even a decent tire, you had to find a shop that could order it, usually from South Africa or Kenya.
I did see the Pirellis you posted occasionally but the tires that were most desired for the Land Cruiser were the Pirelli MT.
View attachment 116876

I never paid much attention to the Dunlops that were available, mostly because they were also very expensive and nearly impossible to find in a size larger than 30”. Occasionally I would see the Dunlop mud rover but mostly just the grand trek.
View attachment 116877

After looking for some time, I finally found a good compromise regarding quality and cost. Nexen is made in Korea and offers a mud terrain. They were more expensive than the Chinese brands but way cheaper than Dunlop and Pirelli. I was able to get a set of 31x10.50/15 mud terrains for my Prado. These turned out to be a great tire and I would consider Nexen a quality brand.
View attachment 116879View attachment 116880

I very much considered Ling long to be a terrible and cheap tire, and I never considered putting them on my Prado. Now I see them here in the states occasionally. I think they have dropped the Ling long on the sidewalls and they just say crosswind.

You weren't missing much without trying the Dunlop mud rovers. I got a set of 35x12.5x15 off a parts truck many years ago and they were a stiff tread compound with thin sidewalls. In Moab, they struggled to give traction and even in mud, as their name implies, performance was mediocre, requiring tons of wheel speed to clean out the tread.

Daytonadogie

Lifted
I would say the highway noise is low and manageable. The Maxxis site has a few customer reviews on this topic https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/razr-at/. The Nitto Ridge Grappler was about as loud as these Razr ATs so I wouldn't rank one above the other but the Razr do outperform the Ridge Grapplers in the snow and ice by a long shot.
Thanks for the reply! I ordered the Maxxis Razr’s from Walmart. 285/70/17 117t. Good price from Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxxis-R...=796388434&athposb=0&athena=true&athbdg=L1600
$Under a grand $ mounted and balanced. I know about Maxxis and Kenda from mountain biking and are high quality. Are the new to the truck/car applications?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Studded tires cause human health problems and increased particulate pollution, as well as ripping up the roads. They are not necessary in CO where the roads usually are not iced over to the point where you would notice a significant difference between a good set of snows without studs. And if there is no ice then you actually have worse traction.

the roads that already suck due to the winter freeze/thaw cycle and all the mag chloride dumped on them?

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Rule of thumb I have always gone by for drag racing and offroad is "If they wear forever, they're too hard of compound. If they have good flex, sticky enough and wear decent, good to go" Jus Sayin Yo

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Did you know that Pirelli makes an off-road tire?

I could not tell what those are. Are they the Pirelli Scorpion? Someone I know who used to drive a truck where the Scorpion was the OE tire has a joke: "Do you know what sound a scorpion makes? Psssssssssssssssssssssssssss" (sidewalls not up to the rigors or real wheeling)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I could not tell what those are. Are they the Pirelli Scorpion? Someone I know who used to drive a truck where the Scorpion was the OE tire has a joke: "Do you know what sound a scorpion makes? Psssssssssssssssssssssssssss" (sidewalls not up to the rigors or real wheeling)
I think they were Scorpions. I needed a puncture repair on our minivan here in St. Louis and stopped by a tire shop. They had a full set of these. I had never seen Pirelli off-road tires.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I saw this on social media as a new release from Kenda. I like this tread design and sidewall integration. Looks similar to the extreme all terrain type design like Cooper STT pros / Dick Cepek extreme countrys. I know @Inukshuk has run the Kenda AT and RT with great success so I would assume this would be a great trail, sand, snow and wet pavement tire
Screenshot_20230723_130345_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20230723_130358_Instagram.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Seems like the right thread to post about the cost of current day tires. I first bought a set of Swamper LTB 34x10.50x15 tires in about 2004 at a price of $127 per tire. Bought another set in approx. 2009 at a cost of about $140 per. Stopped running them about 2013 and went to 35x10.50x15 TSR - can't remember what I payed for them. Anyway, out of curiosity today I checked the price of the LTB and was shocked, to put it mildly. $445 each now. Holy Moley!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Seems like the right thread to post about the cost of current day tires. I first bought a set of Swamper LTB 34x10.50x15 tires in about 2004 at a price of $127 per tire. Bought another set in approx. 2009 at a cost of about $140 per. Stopped running them about 2013 and went to 35x10.50x15 TSR - can't remember what I payed for them. Anyway, out of curiosity today I checked the price of the LTB and was shocked, to put it mildly. $445 each now. Holy Moley!
And I was told by an interco repp once that the LTB line was budget friendly!🤣🤯

Yota_addict

Wincher
I saw this on social media as a new release from Kenda. I like this tread design and sidewall integration. Looks similar to the extreme all terrain type design like Cooper STT pros / Dick Cepek extreme countrys. I know @Inukshuk has run the Kenda AT and RT with great success so I would assume this would be a great trail, sand, snow and wet pavement tireView attachment 118426View attachment 118427
Those things are beastly! Serious tire tread!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I decided it was time to give my beat up Cooper STT pro's some fresh biting edges. Currently they are measuring a 9mm tread depth average and Cooper specs 19.5mm depth on a new tire, so below 50% life remaining. I felt the tires wouldn't be appealing to resale, so they are a perfect candidate for grooving. I decided to only groove the outer lugs as the center lug siping was showing signs of working well. Outer lugs sipes had almost disappeared and older chunks had smoothed out creating a nice flat surface. I cut a 4mm deep channel.
20231022_123620.jpg
20231022_123327.jpg
20231026_154643.jpg
initial testing has a noticeable increase in tire roar at higher speeds 🤣 and cornering grip when mounted on the tacoma
:thumb:(on dry pavement, no wet stuff yet but soon)