Tire talk

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I love tires and would love to talk with you about them🛻🚙🚜🚲🦽

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone have experience with nitto mud grapplers? I like the radial bogger-like design but curious about compound. the ridge grapplers seem to be a stiffer compound, although they are more of an all-terrain tire.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
How about pit bull? Availability seems to be very limited and prices are high but tread design is killer and I have heard excellent reviews of compound performance.....

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
How about pit bull? Availability seems to be very limited and prices are high but tread design is killer and I have heard excellent reviews of compound performance.....
A friend of mine runs the Pitbull Rockers, He seemed to be happy with them, but won't be running them again. He's clinging to his 15's so he's very limited now days on what he can buy...

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
A friend of mine runs the Pitbull Rockers, He seemed to be happy with them, but won't be running them again. He's clinging to his 15's so he's very limited now days on what he can buy...
I have talked to Will about his PBs and performance sounds great but he got his straight from PB and per their website, the prices are steep (although interco tires prices have gone way up too). I saw there is a small shop that lists as a distributor in aurora but I haven't had a chance to go talk to them

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I purchased my Sequoia about 8 months ago and they came with Maxxis Razr AT tires. Now I have ran with BFG, Duratracs and Nitro Ridge on my 100 Series with the Nitro Ridge Grapplers in my opinion being the perfect tire for me. However, these Maxxis Razr tires are awesome, they did a lot better than my Ridge Grapplers in the snow and so far on dirt trails they performed well. I haven't wheeled too hard in the Sequoia as I don't have a spare just yet but I plan on sticking with these Maxxis tires.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I purchased my Sequoia about 8 months ago and they came with Maxxis Razr AT tires. Now I have ran with BFG, Duratracs and Nitro Ridge on my 100 Series with the Nitro Ridge Grapplers in my opinion being the perfect tire for me. However, these Maxxis Razr tires are awesome, they did a lot better than my Ridge Grapplers in the snow and so far on dirt trails they performed well. I haven't wheeled too hard in the Sequoia as I don't have a spare just yet but I plan on sticking with these Maxxis tires.
I saw big Mike from marlin switched to the Razr MTs and gave high praise to them. @J1000 runs ridge grapplers with good success. I am wanting a more extreme terrain tire thus the interest in the mud grapplers. I like interco and have run them in the past but their prices have jumped way up. Most of what I want from them are bias ply and for that cost, a lower priced radial is more lucrative

Daytonadogie

Lifted
How is the highway noise between the Ridge Grappler and the Maxis tires? l’m running Terra Grapplers on my FZJ80 daily driver and really like them, but Nitto has discontinued them. I’m also interested on opinions on the Falken Wildpeaks. I do a fair amount of cross country driving so noise and comfort takes priority. Thanks for any advice!

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
How is the highway noise between the Ridge Grappler and the Maxis tires? l’m running Terra Grapplers on my FZJ80 daily driver and really like them, but Nitto has discontinued them. I’m also interested on opinions on the Falken Wildpeaks. I do a fair amount of cross country driving so noise and comfort takes priority. Thanks for any advice!
I have the Terra Grapplers on my 80 also and they have been great. They did discontinue the standard Terra Grappler because they updated it to the Terrra Grappler G2 from what I can tell.

We just mounted the Falken Wildpeak MT01's onto our 200 series and so far, they are nosier than the K02s on our 100 series and the Nitto's on the 80 series. They are also a more aggressive tread pattern, so that's to be expected.

Nothing compares to the Bias Ply Super Swampers on the Stout. No need for a radio, you can just match the key to the hum of the tires and start humming your tune. Its the perfect excuse for not talking on the phone while driving, both in terms of noise and road manners. There are also those cold mornings where you can feel the hardness of the rubber and their desire to hold their form until warm. The Swampers are a man's man tire, raw and unfiltered.

Burt88

Trail Ready
I was completely unhappy with one tire over all others. The Nitto Ridge Grappler, which had about 20% performance in any and all terrains. Less than zero traction in winter on my LX470. I think the Terra Grappler may be okay, but once again the snow traction I've experienced was terrible. I went back to the BFG AT which matches the terrain I travel on and can take the brutality I tend to put things through. I know they won't get great treadwear and mud isn't it's strong point.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
My name is Daniel and I like tires.

I had Terra Grapplers and they did all I asked but for whatever reason I was never a huge fan.

I have been thoroughly impressed with the Kenda Klever A/T2 in everything. I'm nearing ready for new set for my 80.

The Klever R/T on LongCruiser have been great, but only highway and King of the Hammers. 10,000 lbs over rocks, sand, climbs, descents without hiccup. 35 x 10.5 size is sweet.

R/T is between A/T and M/T so maybe also check on the Klever M/T

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I fricken love my Ridge Grapplers but to be honest I never really wheeled on anything else. They are insanely tough and last forever. I got like 40k out of my first set. I pulled a screwdriver out of the tread blocks and it was bent but never punctured the tire. They are not the greatest on snow and ice but not the worst either.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
My name is Daniel and I like tires.

I had Terra Grapplers and they did all I asked but for whatever reason I was never a huge fan.

I have been thoroughly impressed with the Kenda Klever A/T2 in everything. I'm nearing ready for new set for my 80.

The Klever R/T on LongCruiser have been great, but only highway and King of the Hammers. 10,000 lbs over rocks, sand, climbs, descents without hiccup. 35 x 10.5 size is sweet.

R/T is between A/T and M/T so maybe also check on the Klever M/T
I've really been eyeing the Klever in the 35x10.5. That really seems to be a sweet spot, and the tire looks good to boot.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
I love tires too. I want an air freshener that smells like new tires!

I have always been a BFGoodrich fan. I got my first set of BFG ATs in 1997, and over the years I've had many, many sets. Mostly All Terrains. That said, I have tried other brands over the years but usually come back to BFGs.
My most recent divergence from the norm was for a set of Coopers. I heard a few members of the club say how good they are, so I decided to try 'em out. I have to say that the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT in 285/75r16 are phenomenal tires. I have been truly impressed with them in the snow, off road, and on the highway. They are quiet, balance very well, and grip icy roads like velcro. I will say that they are now my favorite all terrain tires to date. I will probably put them on my 80 when my BFG AT KO2s wear out. I'm so glad I tried them.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My experience with the Nitto Mud Grapplers were they were fun to wheel but just death on I-70... no siping, so no grip in the snow/ice conditions. Not unlike a Toyo Mud, or even the Ridge Grapplers to some extent.

My current tire to recommend is the Firestone Destination X/T. It's not as cool looking as the others, but they grip amazingly well in the snowy roads. Like night and day taking one truck out then taking another out, driving up the same hill, etc.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Here's one you may not of heard of. I picked up a set of nearly new Kelly Edge M/T tires for my 80. Made by Goodyear. Good looks and surprisingly acceptable highway noise. Plan to test them off-road this summer.

I've been patiently waiting for the Kenda Kleaver RT 33/10.5r15 (or 9.5) to go on-sale for the FJ40 on stock rims. The 33/10.5r17's are super cheap on eBay right now but the 15" tires are about $100 more for some reason.

I have the Kenda AT's on the 570 and like them but they do have slightly more noise than the worn out Michelins that were on the car when I bought it.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
My name is Adam and I like tires. I like the color, I like the smell, I love the marks they leave behind!

I am on my 1st set of KM3s and love them. They are overkill for the "mud" here in Colorado. Good in the snow, sketchy on hard pack snow or ice. 60k+ miles out of my last 3 sets of KM2s so waiting to see how these go. Great in clay and silt mud, pretty good on slickrock but leave something to be desired. Great in sand. Good road manners and stopping in wet conditions.

Bought some Michelin cross climates for the wife's RX and drove them in snow and rain covered roads, sheeting water on pavement rain, at 85 mph. These things are amazing! Pricey but 60k warranty so should have longevity. The way these clear the rain, slush and stick to the snow was mindblowing!

I have Toyo open country A/T on the work truck and these work great in the snow and mud. Also great on pavement. No idea on longevity.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I am looking in a 35-36 height range and 12.5-14.5 width (wider tires cater to my driving style, sorry tall and skinny peeps). All of these guys weight in around the same at 80-85lbs per tire. I am prepared for handling and noise trade offs, my compromise for performance. I have 5 matching wheels so i plan on running a equal spare and rotating it with the others.

My choices have been narrowed down to 5:

1. Tsl/sx2 - i have run the older style tsl/sx and loved these tires. My only complaint was the lack of siping which seem to be remedied with this design update.
Super_Swamper_TSL_SX2_Group_1200x1200.png

2. Pitbull rocker radial - any reviews i have read say these are awesome. Minimal chunking, grippy compound, good in snow but the most expensive option and tough to source.
PBRROCKERRADLTPARENT-2T_580x@2x.jpg

3. Boggers - friggin love these meats but I don't have enough horsepower to effectively use these guys. But still tempting...
bogger_a.jpg

4. Nitto mud grappler - radial, best pricing, bogger like design but see these on more pavement pounders than on trail
mudfeat_03.jpg

5. Radial IROK - radials, supposedly good in rocks and snow but directional and fast wearing
IROK_Radial_Group_1200x1200_0.png

If BFG would bring back the 35" krawler, I would highly consider that but that ain't happening.
Part of me wants the interco mullet, tsl/sx2 up front and boggers in the rear axle but what a pain that would be for spare tire selection and rotation. At this point, leaning towards the Nittos but not sure yet

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I ran IROCKS when we first got here. They sucked in the mountains. Ran Holy Cross w/ a decent sized group. Everyone on IROCKS had a hell of a time at the Tippy Tree obstacle. Everyone else walked it. Same for Carnage Canyon in BV. The waterfall w/ the IROCKS sucked.

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
:ROFLMAO: Sorry Dom, but this just shows your are truly a full size blazer guy at heart still!!! Those tires are so ugly they belong on a chevy!!!

‘Merica
IMG_0947.jpeg

...kidding, sort of.

Last edited: