• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

The Projects

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Received my parts just in time for Serra to have a 25% off sale, so had to put them on.

I have struggled with breaking passenger side door handles forever. A few years ago I went through the door to try and fix the issue but it broke another handle after that so I’ve left it alone for years. I’ve been buying aftermarket replacements but this time I decided to go with OEM. Lubricated the handle mechanism and adjusted the door to be the best I could get it to be. Hopefully this handle lasts. If it breaks again there may have to be a nuclear option to try.
IMG_1580.jpeg

Also my rear door catch has taken a beating for various reasons. It has held up admirably but is severely worn and now allows the doors to pop free. I looked at the diagrams and realized I was missing a shim which would help with getting more contact with the latch and striker. It’s a thin shim but every little bit helps. The new striker doesn’t look as quality but it’s OEM so hopefully it lasts. I don’t know if this kind of metal can be welded to add material back.
IMG_1581.jpeg

I also had a small win with the jack holder last night. I went to drill and tap the third bolt hole that I thought had a broken bolt in it and when I center punched it it caved in. It just had a pebble in it and when that gave way I had nice threads for my last bolt. Yay.

But one of my passenger door hinge bolts broke upon loosening so I will have to drill and tap that. I put anti seize on all the other hinge bolts while I was messing with it.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sometimes it’s the small things. Since I had the doors apart I decided to add back the plastic barrier. My FJ40 has never had it. My driver door has a pretty good draft coming in as I drive especially since the bottom half of the door is starting to rust away. Got some 4 mil plastic from Home Depot and some butyl tape off of Amazon and here we go. Will see how it works. Probably won’t notice any difference.
IMG_1622.jpeg

IMG_1623.jpeg

Last edited:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wiring is boring for pictures, but I got some 4 gauge run to the back to an Anderson for my fridge or Puma compressor.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
On that plastic behind the door card, my recollection is that is what the factory uses. I boogered mine up when I put 6x9 speakers in the doors, then when I got rid of them I put wood paneling where the cards were. I can't remember off the top of my head what my plan was going to be for my 76 when I got to that point, I think somebody (CCoT maybe?) makes repro cards.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Got the driver door done tonight. I had forgotten that someone had done a repair on this door before which also included a lot of spray foam. Got a bunch of it out but more will need to come. Some day. Yeah my door is starting to need some work. I think this will be about it for now. I still have some leaks and stuff to fix - maybe later. I want to drive it right now.
IMG_1625.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1628.jpeg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Kims dads welded in new metal on the door in the mid 90s. Didn't remember the spray foam though

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Kims dads welded in new metal on the door in the mid 90s. Didn't remember the spray foam though
Hey Ige! It looked like a nice job. Honestly I never even knew until just now because now it’s starting to rust and the seam is starting to show. I think I’m going to get back in there and clean it out more, cut out the rot, protect the metal, and give it some paint to keep it from getting worse. Not sure yet what my long term solution should be. A welder is on the list for the garage shop.

Any pictures of the Grape Ape you could share would be awesome!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Packing to go for a little drive this weekend
GOPR0866.jpeg