• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

The Projects

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Well the ABV doesn't provide a noticeable whoosh of air out of the bottom when vacuum is applied. If it's truly not working that would be consistent with the truck's behavior with the PO because it's the same ABV. I think I have a spare to try

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Tackled another project. My 8274 has never free spooled well. I've suspected the brake for a while, finally took it off to check it out. Sure enough the brake shaft was dirty with surface rust, preventing the discs from achieving adequate separation to reduce drag. So I took some emery cloth to the shafts, cleaned up the discs a bit, and put it all back together. Seems to work better now. Now I can mount 150' of 5/16" cable on it.

No pics. It wasn't terrible, but I did have to use a 3-jaw puller to get the discs off.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since some of this work was done. But I guess I have a 2 year old now so that's part of the reason why.

Anyway, as mentioned in my Turn Signal thread, found out the cause of that not working (again). I had mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I wanted to get to the bottom of it. Still have some "yay wiring!" stuff to do, which I may or may not get to anytime soon.

Last night I (re?)installed a heat shield that mounts under the rear bed. Upon removal by some PO, 4 of the 7 bolts holding it to the tub had broken off. I drilled out 2 of the more important ones so now it's holding with 5 of 7. Good enough for now, since I hate drilling bolts. Hard as I try, I cannot get them drilled perfectly centered and straight. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But I will try to crawl back under at some point and drill out the remaining 2.

Question - does the wiring go above or below this heat shield? I couldn't really tell, so for now it's hanging below. But if the stock muffler were there that would probably be no bueno.

I also tried tackling my non-operative odometer and semi-operative speedometer. Found that the plastic drive gear for the odometer was busted, and turning the odometer by hand revealed binding, so will have to pull that apart and fix, or buy a suitable replacement. Still haven't gotten to the bottom of my speedo issue; turning the speedo with a drill results in smooth needle operation. So I'm thinking the cable needs to be lubed or something.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Can't believe it's been 2 1/2 years since some of this work was done. But I guess I have a 2 year old now so that's part of the reason why.

Anyway, as mentioned in my Turn Signal thread, found out the cause of that not working (again). I had mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I wanted to get to the bottom of it. Still have some "yay wiring!" stuff to do, which I may or may not get to anytime soon.

Last night I (re?)installed a heat shield that mounts under the rear bed. Upon removal by some PO, 4 of the 7 bolts holding it to the tub had broken off. I drilled out 2 of the more important ones so now it's holding with 5 of 7. Good enough for now, since I hate drilling bolts. Hard as I try, I cannot get them drilled perfectly centered and straight. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. But I will try to crawl back under at some point and drill out the remaining 2.

Question - does the wiring go above or below this heat shield? I couldn't really tell, so for now it's hanging below. But if the stock muffler were there that would probably be no bueno.

I also tried tackling my non-operative odometer and semi-operative speedometer. Found that the plastic drive gear for the odometer was busted, and turning the odometer by hand revealed binding, so will have to pull that apart and fix, or buy a suitable replacement. Still haven't gotten to the bottom of my speedo issue; turning the speedo with a drill results in smooth needle operation. So I'm thinking the cable needs to be lubed or something.
Did they connect to the tranny way back when? Maybe the little gear in your transmission has gone bad. Just a thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
That comment relates to your speedometer🤔

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sorry I never saw this I guess. I suspect you are probably right.

On another note, after 19 years of ownership I finally have a jack holder. It’s still missing a bolt and the rubber pad, but it’s a small win that I will take. Still need to source the rubber band hold down for the tool bag.

Oh and a coworker gave me his really nice floor mat at some point and rather than storing it rolled up for “some day” I just decided to install it and keep my floor mats over the top of it to protect it from foot wear.
IMG_1562.jpeg

I’m going to do some exploring in a couple weeks and wanted some chains to fit my 33s that I bought a couple years ago.
IMG_4800.jpeg

I had a whole set of chain material I picked up off the side of the highway that just needed to be shortened down to the right length so got that all done. Test fitting….
IMG_1516.jpeg

Working on wiring to the back for fridge and compressor now…

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
On another note, after 19 years of ownership I finally have a jack holder. It’s still missing a bolt and the rubber pad, but it’s a small win that I will take. Still need to source the rubber band hold down for the tool bag.
View attachment 126802

The rubber band on my 45 jack holder (it also holds the factory tool bag) finally broke. Right now I'm using a small bungie cord, but I am thinking of 3D printing a rubber band out of TPU.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
for the jack and tool holder look for an appropriatly sized o-ring:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
for the jack and tool holder look for an appropriatly sized o-ring:
I need the little tab thingies too

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Today I made a box for some stuff. So now I’m the PO that makes stuff out of wood for his Cruiser lol
IMG_1564.jpeg

Behind the passenger seat my recovery bag fits nicely along with the fridge and then my new box with stuff in it.
IMG_1565.jpeg

On the other side I’m able to put more stuff. Tire chains tend to slide around the back, make a ton of noise with metal on metal contact, and get water all over everything if not contained. Hopefully this helps. I have an idea to make something similar out of metal eventually that can be secured down but I don’t have the skills or tools yet so for now let’s call this beta testing.
IMG_1566.jpeg

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey Matt if you cover the wood box with carpet, you’ll no longer be “the guy” that makes stuff out of wood for his cruiser…just saying.
100% I figure if I cover it later with indoor/outdoor carpet then I can sell it for a fortune.

subzali

Hard Core 4+