So... :-) Trap's 100 Build

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
@shellb What's up with you selling everyone that wrecks their vehicle a 100 series? HA. Joking aside @Trapper50cal good luck with the build.

Brett, the 100 you sold me is coming along nicely. Pretty much finished with the build. Just have to install a Dissent bumper I bought last year.

full
CORunner, Nice Shell RTT! How do you like it?

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Okay,

Pretty much blew my upgrade budget this morning while on the phone with Brian at Slee Offroad :)
I imagine that happens a lot with them!

-Spidertrax Wheel Spacers 1.25" Front & Back
-OME Torsion Bars
-OME Torsion Bar Reinforcement Brackets
-Slee Diff Drop
-SPC Upper Control arms

This way, I can get that front end up just a touch to remove a bit of the stinkbug
and just generally refresh and upgrade the front suspension in one swing.

I went with the SPC's for a couple reasons, some practical and some technical.

Getting them from Slee at the same time as everything else guaranteed that I wouldn't be
waiting on something else to arrive i.e. holding the shop (ATLR) up for any reason and because
the ball joint assembly is replaceable without removing the UCA.

With the used Trail-Tailor UCA's (That are now posted FS here on RS, BTW) I would
have (just for due diligence) wanted to send them to Jason (Trail-Tailor) for a refresh
and the shipping time on all that just didn't match up with everything else going on
up in Denver w/ Brett's assistance before I take delivery of the 100.

The KISS protocol - Keep It Simple Stupid.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
This member is selling spidertrax wheel spacers. Could free up some money in the budget.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
This member is selling spidertrax wheel spacers. Could free up some money in the budget.
Yar, darn it! I could have sworn that I scoured the FS thread for anything I needed.
I'm not going to back track the order/charge now. But hey, props for looking out!
That would indeed have saved me a chunk...but again, timing with the truck's
appointment at ATLR...

OOOOOhh, I noticed in your sig that you have a Stout, COOL!

shellb

Hard Core 4+
@shellb What's up with you selling everyone that wrecks their vehicle a 100 series? HA. Joking aside @Trapper50cal good luck with the build.

Brett, the 100 you sold me is coming along nicely. Pretty much finished with the build. Just have to install a Dissent bumper I bought last year.

full

Hey there!

Great to hear from you...excellent job on the rig, she's looking fantastic!

Glad things worked out for you and you're happy with the crusier!

Brett

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Wow, that was honestly a lifetime ago!

Loved that rig!!

Traded it for my first 40 and got absolutely smoked on the deal (40 wasn’t worth much)…

Oddly enough that 40 owner is a good friend of mine now as well!

Cruisers, bloody hell.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
I think that would be a great alternative to a new hood. 100's have been showing up in the yards 2-3 times a year over the last 5 years or so. If you still want a different hood, you should be able to find one locally soon enough.

CORunner

Wincher
CORunner, Nice Shell RTT! How do you like it?
We got the RTT used so that helped lessen the blow of how expensive they are. We really like it. I prefer the hard shell due to its simple set up and tear down. Takes maybe 30sec. Just unlock the latches and it self opens. Its only my wife and me, so the size is perfect. With kids or a dog it would be too small.

Its nice having a memory foam to sleep on. We've been out in all conditions and it holds up great.

Couple of cons:
- Very heavy and not easy to remove in the off season.
- Makes the 100 a bit top heavy.
- Takes up the entire roof rack.
- Can't fit the 100 series in the garage anymore.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
I think that would be a great alternative to a new hood. 100's have been showing up in the yards 2-3 times a year over the last 5 years or so. If you still want a different hood, you should be able to find one locally soon enough.

Yeah, plus it's high time (after that initial dollar dump to Slee) to start looking for ways to spend "sweat equity" rather than throwing money at it.
Jason @CruiserYard's hood deal was great but he went and inspected it further and noticed less obvious hail damage on the one he had and reached out to tell me so I wouldn't be replacing a hail damaged hood with another hail damaged hood. Stand-up guy.

I'm also very curious about what Paintless Dent Removal (including hot glue "poppers") might yield.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
We got the RTT used so that helped lessen the blow of how expensive they are. We really like it. I prefer the hard shell due to its simple set up and tear down. Takes maybe 30sec. Just unlock the latches and it self opens. Its only my wife and me, so the size is perfect. With kids or a dog it would be too small.

Its nice having a memory foam to sleep on. We've been out in all conditions and it holds up great.

Couple of cons:
- Very heavy and not easy to remove in the off season.
- Makes the 100 a bit top heavy.
- Takes up the entire roof rack.
- Can't fit the 100 series in the garage anymore.

Yeah, the price point on those hard shell RTTs is pretty stiff. Used is the way to go and I also really dig the ease of deployment. My family has somewhat of a unique or challenging sleeping situation in that the wife and I are pretty big snorers but the problem is that her snoring can easily keep me awake but mine doesn't phase her in the slightest. The boy could sleep through a Cochella right under the stage monitors. Our low budget solution is her and the boy in the back on an air mattress and me in a tent on a padded cot. But future may look like them in an RTT and me in an awning with vestibule walls on a padded cot. There's no way my busted up fat ass is getting up an RTT ladder anyway.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Okay...little update

In another display of sheer awesomeness, Brett heard back from ATLR on some items that need addressing and he's absorbing the cost of some crucial stuff. In addition to taking care of the windshield, he's approved work for the PCV valve, Power steering hoses, Rear pads and rotors and the labor for the CV axles. We went with CVJ Best option (for lifted/moderate angles) so I'll pay for those...very happy to see those going on.

Then a touch of bad news - ATLR turned down the install work for the parts I purchased at Slee. They told Brett
that they only want to do lift work on Tacos and Forerunners. Which is a little bit of a bummer as I based my
purchases on the fact that ATLR advertises on their website the specific service they are now refusing but hey
can't win them all. They say they are referring all LC work to Slee. Which would be fine if they weren't probably
scheduling 2 or 3 months out over there.

So we're getting some stuff done and stuck trying to find another solution for other stuff.

Brett has offered up his two post and time if any other RS'ers are game to tackle the install of:

Slee Diff drop
SPC UCA's
OME Torsion Bars
OME Torsion Bar Reinforcement Brackets
Wheel Spacers

If interested, I'll pay book/scale plus pizza and whiskey ;-) Gotta know what you're doing though... :)

If there's no interest, I totally understand and will get someone down here to do the work.

I guess the other option is if someone up there has a suggestion for a shop that they trust
to do that work...

Brett, Thanks for all the "Above and Beyond" you're doing!! @shellb

Last edited:

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Little update,

Looks like I found a taker for the Dissent front bumper...more to come on that.
And I found a shop to install all my goodies once we get the rig down here to the desert southwest :)
This Tuesday, barring any issues, the rig gets a new windshield.

Got this guy on the job :)

...and holy crap, it ain't cheap.

We always pay cash for windshields on the 08 Forester (which will be for sale very soon, dirt cheap)
because our deductible is $500. On the 100, the deductible would be a significant savings.

In Durango, there are two types of windshields...less than a week old and cracked.

satchel

Rising Sun Member
Just seeing this but happy to come over and help install stuff if that is still needed.