• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

So... :-) Trap's 100 Build

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
In Durango, there are two types of windshields...less than a week old and cracked.
This should actually be the Colorado state moto.......I've never replaced so many windshields until I moved to Colorado. Kinda like oil changes.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
You know, I missed something in my first post...

I thanked Brett for selling his 100 to me at a price that made it possible for me to get back into the Cruiser Community...something I sorely missed.

I thanked the lawyer that got me a great property damage settlement on my totaled Suburban...enough that it wasn't irresponsible to buy a Cruiser in the first place.

But I didn't thank all of you. The Rising Sun Community. Thank You
All the GoFundMe donations, the offers to deliver stuff to me while I was laid up in Littleton and Lakewood...

It helped get me and my family through a challenging time.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Today was windshield day :)

Brett said it went in without a hitch and that Jeremy knew exactly what he was doing
and he was aware of his reputation in the forums for being able to handle 100 Series.
So knock another can off the fencepost. :)

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
All right, another can knocked off the fencepost...

@Colorado80 's brother went by Brett's place and collected a lightly used and patina'd
Dissent Front bumper.

I feel like he got a good deal on something he was specifically after and that I was
looking to move away from.

He wanted no Bull Bar and I specifically need a Bull Bar...so many deer and elk getting
hit on the highways down here.

Cheers, Q!

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Peanut Butter...

nobumper.jpg

Chocolate...

71155961790__1182752C-DD7A-42E3-819F-BC3EE232CF15.JPG

Two great things that go great together :) Hopefully the ARB will mount sufficiently well despite the missing frame rail horns/caps

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Its been a while since I installed my ARB, but I don't think the 100 has frame rail caps like the 80 does. I do remember having to cut off a small metal tab that was welded onto the 100 frame rail in order for the 03+ ARB to fit my 99. Yours looks like it was already done (probably for the dissent to fit) so you shouldn't have a problem with the install. It should be a one banana job, plus maybe drilling a couple of holes for mounting bolts.

Did you end up going with the newer style ARB?

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Its been a while since I installed my ARB, but I don't think the 100 has frame rail caps like the 80 does. I do remember having to cut off a small metal tab that was welded onto the 100 frame rail in order for the 03+ ARB to fit my 99. Yours looks like it was already done (probably for the dissent to fit) so you shouldn't have a problem with the install. It should be a one banana job, plus maybe drilling a couple of holes for mounting bolts.

Did you end up going with the newer style ARB?
Yeah, and I watched an install on YT and the tab on the bottom that gets removed is part of the frame rail cap I'm talking about...but the YT video was for an 03+. But I think you're right that 3 out of 4 on each frame rail is going to suffice. Plus I got new hardwear from Belmetric for the two bolts on the bottom side of each frame rail. Had to because of the Trail Tailor recovery points and spacers I'm putting down there. If I have to, I may drill two holes through the sides of the frame rails instead of just one. (Where the Dissent mount holes already are)

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Here's that end cap that needs to have the bottom of it cut off. It has a captured nut pointing forward on it's front facing surface that calls for one of the mounting bolts for the bumper brackets.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 2.55.50 PM.jpg

If mine had them, it doesn't now...that's why I say "3 out of 4 for each frame rail" It looks like the cap extends about half an inch beyond the end of the frame rail itself.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Okay...so a little progress to report.

Sleeping Arrangements

Corbet's advice to me had a lot of validity in that with Eve and Nolan sleeping in the RTT, it needed to be easy to deploy and stow.
She isn't the most coordinated human and she's going to be on a step ladder for a lot of what needs to happen.

I, on the other hand, will not be climbing any ladders any time soon and need different arrangements anyway.

Most awning/vestibule setups are either very expensive or integrated into the tent...and in most cases, to soft-shell RTT's

So the solution seemed to be - Cheapest easiest hardshell and a "glamping" overland tent for me

Here's what I did:

Gazelle T3X Overland Tent

0ed3dec3-255e-4347-89df-8510fd643d9d.5f5d51cd93f224b8c261e6ab34e033f9.jpeg

and the least expensive (including shipping) hardshell RTT

71TC2I4MqKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This RTT was thousands less than other particular hard-shells and has some pretty decent features and
I don't know if there's a more easily deployable/stow-able option in existence. This is pretty much the
keystone of the whole set-up. It reasonably eliminates (along with cost) most vestibule and awning set-ups.
From there you look at stand-alone tents that are easy to deploy/stow hence Gazelle T3X. Should just fit
an 80" cot. For One person, it's a condo.

All in all, very happy with the set-up given the cost. Now we'll see how everything performs.

If all goes as planned, the truck will be here Tues/Wed.

Sidenote: PSA - A lot of different vendors are carrying versions of this "NATURNEST" branded tents
but there are some that DON'T have a rain fly that covers all three windows like the one above so
if you're shopping, get the right one with the better rain fly...

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
What's the eta on delivery?
That is a more complicated question to answer than one would think...short answer, today or tomorrow. But all dependent on the shipper's truck continuing to be in running condition...smh. I guess it's true that we learn more from the speed bumps in life than we learn from smooth sailing :rolleyes: