LX570 build - 200 in a Tuxedo

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,231
Last weekend we drove down to Denver to trade in our 2018 Tundra on a LX570.

We have been discussing moving on from the 80 for the past year. Many of you may have seen my other thread on the topic and thank you for helping me work through the thought process. We have had the 80 for 8 years and it has been a fantastic adventure vehicle for us. On top of that it was also my favorite vehicle to build. Anyone here who has been behind the wheel of a properly setup 80 knows how fantastic they are on the trail, but even with the right gearing a 1fz with 35s and a lift does not create the most family friendly highway vehicle. It has also been quite a few years since I actually have wheeled the 80 anywhere close to its potential. Our 4x4 use has shifted from dedicated trail days towards adventure camping. We still want a capable go almost anywhere vehicle but came to the conclusion that the 200 platform would be far superior for our current use case. Maybe I will get back into an 80 one day, but its overkill for the next few years.

I was torn between the 200 and LX. We owned a LX470 that we traded in on the Tundra. It did a few adventure trips and I was impressed with what the platform could do, and of course the 2UZ was a fantastic engine. That was also my first experience with an AHC equipped vehicle. I was skeptical until a backpacking trip out in Dark canyon when we did a car drop with the 470. I did a 10 mile run on our last day to close the loop and retrieve the LX. On the way back I was going 100mph on the 4wd road and was blown away with how smooth the ACH system was. Knowing the 570 system made massive improvements, I was always intrigued.

We decided to go the LX route instead of a 200 based on the cost of entry and build cost savings with the ACH system. I still expect there will be some suspension improvements as part of this build, but the ACH system is perfect for our use case. I spent many late nights on MUD reading up on ACH builds to convince myself that the system is robust, and likely better than any aftermarket offering in the ways we need. Being able to lower the vehicle for loading cargo and dogs is huge, and we get to maintain a more handling friendly height while on the road. After test driving both 200s and 570s I was very impressed with how the 570s handled. We were looking for a truck with good maintenance history and around 100k on the clock. On average I was seeing a $10 to $15k difference just to buy the LC badge. If I want to show off the LC badge I have the 60. For a family adventure vehicle the Lexus is downright nicer in every way. The interior quality on the post facelift trucks is fantastic and I expect it will hold up just as well as the LC variant. Time will tell. Keeping the AHC also saves us 5k on build cost compared to a basic BP1 suspension setup, and better handling on road.

A 2017 LX570 with the luxury package showed up on CarGurus last week and we were originally drawn to it due to the color. The starfire pearl looks great, and white has the tendency to always look good. Every while vehicle I have owned cleans up fantastic and hides swirls and pinstripes well. Paint on this truck is 8/10 but looks 10/10 unless you get up really close. It has the cabernet interior which I was worried would be too flash, but looks fantastic in person. Its already a Lexus, so why not! What ultimately sold us on this was the maintenance history and undercarriage condition. This was a Texas truck its entire life and received service at the Lexus dealership every 5k for its entire life. By the book service, including the 60k ACH fluid change. 2017 with 96,484.

20260919_180717.jpg

20260919_180911.jpg

1000013479.jpg

1000013477.jpg

1000013476.jpg

1000013478.jpg

1000013480.jpg

1000013474.jpg

1000013473.jpg

The tires are down to the wear bar and will be replaced ASAP. 20" wheels will be going at the same time. Currently looking at a 295/70/18 or 285/70/18 depending on brand and fitment. A 33" on the larger side feels like it will be perfect for this build. I have been very inspired by this rig https://expeditionportal.com/classifieds-lexus-lx-570/ and our build will have lots of similarities.

Build Plans
The "goal" of this build will be to do everything right the first time. Slow and steady. Adding only what we need for function, and keeping the truck closer to OEM for reliability. Aftermarket parts are great, but I have learned that builds that remain closer to stock are more reliable and less maintenance heavy.

- Retain ACH system. May make small adjustments to increase load capacity and travel but the system itself will stay.
- 33" AT tires on 18s
- Slider steps with ACH globe protection
- Belly armor TBD
- Front ARB with hoops (I just love the look on the LX)
- Slee or Dissent rear swingout.
- Roof rack TBD
- No drawers, cargo area will remain open for dogs.
- Rear seat delete
- Rear screen delete
- onboard air
- cargo safety barrier

We are still looking for a new daily for Amber. After seeing and driving the LX she now wants a matching GX460!

Here we go! Excited to get into this new platform.
 
Last edited:

Mag71k5

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2025
Messages
178
Watching this!
 

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,231
First investigation.

As you can see from the photos above there appears to be some type of white waxy substance on the frame. I believe this must be some type of corrosion protection the previous owner had applied. I only have service records from Carfax and from the Lexus owners portal. No mention on the Lexus records. You can rub it off with some elbow grease and the frame looks brand new underneath, but it is definitely there. I would like to figure out what product it is, and how I could reapply. It clearly has worked very well.
 

Pz10420

Hard Core 4+
Joined
Jun 21, 2020
Messages
674
Congrats! I am eager to watch this thread as I am in the same boat and have been considering an identical LX for me and the fam for the next few years. And the cabernet looks great! Any color looks better than the tan leather which looks way to dingy after 8 to 10 years on most of them ive seen.
 
Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,231
Removed the rear screens and added Victory 4x4 covers.

20261003_200556.jpg

20261003_202834.jpg

Orvis dog hammock in the back moved from the Tundra completes the update.

20261003_210711.jpg

Tires and wheels are up next. These 21s have to go and the geolanders on there are at the wear bar. Hoping the screens will sell for enough to pay for new rubber.

I am looking at a 285/70/17 for this truck. I want to keep the excellent road manners but get a little bit more meat. Looking at a Method or Icon black alloys and a good winter performance AT.
 
Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2016
Messages
2,396
Location
Superior
We have been kicking around the same idea with less biuld out for the family truckster. Sliders would be a must but the bumpers would stay until they needed replaced... maybe. Still need to come up with the funds and find one in good shape.
I have heard good things about the Falken Wildpeak a/t4w tires. Zero experience with Falkins but giving them a shot this winter. So far I have about 20 miles on them on dry pavement. They are very quite from what i am used to. We will see how they do in then snow.
Nice purchase and looking forward to see how it turns out!
 

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,231
I have the Falken M/T on the 60 and love it. It will either be Wildpeaks, or the Baja Boss AT.

Definitely a yes on the sliders. I will probably do them before bumpers for the AHC system protection. There are some good options out for the late model 570s these days.
 

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2015
Messages
1,637
Location
Arvada
Hey Kev do take a look at the Nokian outpost AT. I don’t have personal experience with the tires but we have a client that runs them on their 80. He said they are great for winter.

We run Nokian all-weather tires on my wife’s CRV, excellent in snow.
 

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Joined
May 4, 2019
Messages
2,231
Took advantage of one of the current online toyota dealer sales to do a proper chrome delete on the handles. The handles are peeling a bit and it was either fix up or replace. Doing things right this build. No rattle cans or plasti dip.

Decided to go with a set of black 200 handles.
 
Last edited:

Corbet

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
10,446
Location
Durango, Colorado
Hey Kev do take a look at the Nokian outpost AT. I don’t have personal experience with the tires but we have a client that runs them on their 80. He said they are great for winter.

We run Nokian all-weather tires on my wife’s CRV, excellent in snow.

I’ve got a couple summers on my Nokian Outpost nAT tyres and I’m very happy. I have dedicated snow tires so I can’t really comment other than the little snow my Outposts have seen prompted me to immediately swap on my snows. Many reviews give them the highest snow rating for an AT, but there is no substitute for dedicated snow tires.

In the rain is where I’ve been most impressed with the Nokian. My 250 simply feels planted even when tracking through standing water. Maybe it’s the truck maybe it’s the tyres. Wear has been great. Road noise is great compared to my 80 on MT/s. Light wheeling has shown no shortage of traction. Original tread was 18/32” which I like. I’ve got one good cut in a sidewall or a deep scratch? Not sure how to describe it or how deep it really goes. Happened in Alaska. Still holding air with no signs of failure so cosmetic?

Will I buy them again? Not sure yet. History has shown that I rarely buy the same tires twice. I guess I like my new shoes to be different each time. The sidewall thing is probably giving me pause. I’m definitely giving them strong consideration for my son’s 5th Gen. The rain performance definitely appeals to me as a parent. Wish they had “C” rated options. And more sizes options. My original purchase decision on these was the Alaska trip. I wanted what I felt to be a very HWY friendly AT. After two years, 25,000+ miles I think they fit that description very well. Mine currently show 60% tread on the wear bars.
 

Capriblue45

Rising Sun Member
Joined
May 28, 2023
Messages
612
I have a nice set of black 18" off of a 20o series I am looking to sell if interested. they would just need the fancy center caps.
 

Attachments

  • 200 3.jpg
    200 3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 200 4.jpg
    200 4.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 200 wheel 2.jpg
    200 wheel 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 200 wheels.jpg
    200 wheels.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 10

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
14,344
Location
Grand Junction
I have heard good things about the Falken Wildpeak a/t4w tires. Zero experience with Falkins but giving them a shot this winter. So far I have about 20 miles on them on dry pavement. They are very quite from what i am used to. We will see how they do in then snow.
Many reviews give them the highest snow rating for an AT, but there is no substitute for dedicated snow tires.

Will I buy them again? Not sure yet. History has shown that I rarely buy the same tires twice.
I'm historically the opposite, running BFG ATs with a couple of times with BFG MTs since, I dunno, forever. I can't remember ever not running BFG on the FJ40, the 1991 and now the Tacoma since Y2K. Their winter performance was just OK for a year or two but sucked after so I went with Falken Wildpeak A/T3W last time and will absolutely again. I've never run dedicated snows to compare directly, I fully expect any AT would be badly embarrassed. But my use, which is a few annual slushes in town and marginally maintained over the Mesa (there's times CDOT stuggles to keep a single lane truly clear) they have been no drama for 7 years and only last winter did I start losing confidence in them. Wear-wise they're going to age out before wear out. My one concern is that Falken moves production. My set of four from 2019 were made in USA and that might impact performance and life.
 

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
14,344
Location
Grand Junction
Thanks for the wheel offer and tire suggestions. Both look great but I already have an order in with discount.
Tangentially related, Discount Tire just swung strike 3 for me. Done with them.

Strike one was having a brand newly powder coated wheel spin on the mounting machine, taking a 1/4" stripe out on the inside. And not just superficially powder, which can happen since it's slick and tough. The monkey spun it long enough to groove into the aluminum.

Strike two was breaking a TPMS sensor neck off. Not an old one replacing the gasket, a brand new Denso torquing too hard.

This was yesterday. They claimed it rusted on but when I cut the nut off there is no doubt, cross threaded.

It's not that things happen, they do. It's the gaslighting and CYA they do now. Different company when the old man was still around, when they gave you less gruff. Had a tire develop a bubble in the carcass, so it got replaced under the warranty certificate, and the dude said, you know, being a 4WD you need matching diameters and replaced the other tire on the axle. He didn't even ask me, just did it. I didn't need it but he winked and said he heard clicking and assumed I had a locker. The people they have now half the time can't drive a stick, much less be actual gearheads to understand about auto lockers. They can, however, push the heck out of wiper blades.

IMG_5629_mid.png
 

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
1,449
Location
Arvada
Discount by the old house did the same pinstriping move on all 5 of the rims on the Raptor, then got their panties in a bunch when I flipped my shit about them trying to pass it off on me. Have not darkened the door of one of them since.
 
Back
Top