Red_Chili's body swap

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well... The Chili is once again the Red Chili...
I caught Jamie as he was polishing the tailgate. The finish is so glasslike that any slight imperfection is visible - and there are only a couple VERY slight ones. Terry had to point them out to me. Like, fewer than the truck left the factory with in 1987. UH... I mean, the body in 1988. What year is my truck? Who knows any more...

And the UPS guy left a present on my porch...:eek: ;)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

87Xota

COME ON! :D

This thread is useless without...

Sorry guy's, it didn't get buffed yesterday because Jamie's electric buffer stopped working, all you would see of the vehicle is wet sanded quarters that look very dull red.

I guess I won't hang the doors, until I get the dash swapped out.

But I can hang the fenders and install the hood, so maybe pictures tomorrow!

Bill brought me lot's of mouldings yesterday and some tailamps, and he took away his tires and wheels, we put on my extra set of highway tires and wheels for now.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

Attachments

• s presant.jpg
    s presant.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 211

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Parts come in at 4WPW today...

Kevin, I don't think that one would go over well at ALL in our household, for SO many reasons... :lmao:

bkg

Looking good, Bill. Did you decide what you're doing w/ the rear fenders yet (did I miss that?)?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hey, Brian!
Yes, I did, and no, I don't think you did. Like Moomba on 4x4wire, settled on Bushwackers, which are the parts that were *supposed* to be in today. The 4WPW guy screwed up though, they *ship* today from Bushwacker, so they won't be here until after the weekend. I think Terry was not quite ready to squirt them anywho!

Obviously I will have to protect them (and more than likely the front fenders, though I tend to be pretty good about those. The rears, however, are famous in 4Runners for being vulnerable, as are the rear quarters. I have a scheme in mind.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
He'll have to cover that thing in bubble wrap before he takes it wheeling. :eek: :rolleyes: :D Looks nice! :thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Steel and clear bra, Chris. Steel and clear bra.

I won't be investigating any pinstripe-alley remote trails like my son and I did at Moab this year, though! Scrub oak does evil things!!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Oh my that is purdy :thumb:

I'm basically speechless looking at those pics...I plan on having Terry restore my hardtop but now I'm worried the rest of the 40 just won't be up to snuff :hill:

Beater

Hard Core 4+
pimp

bkg

Steel and clear bra, Chris. Steel and clear bra.

I won't be investigating any pinstripe-alley remote trails like my son and I did at Moab this year, though! Scrub oak does evil things!!

Going to be a mall-crawler for a while? :)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
That much red makes my eyes hurt. Looking good Bill. Going full exo cage to protect that shine? Maybe some of that canvas side protection like the Hummer's have. Man I wish my paint shined like that, sweeeet.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Actually, I did go by Bradford Auto Body. They wanted nothing to do with it once they heard about a body swap. Even though they admitted the corrosion resistance would be impacted if they repaired my existing body...:confused:

When I heard about Terry on Colo 4x4, and remembered the Xota, I knew he would 'get it' about what I wanted to do. The thing is, if you are smart about it, you can improve a truck for about what it costs to merely fix it. "About what it costs" being a kinda loose statement, but not out of the park.

I am really starting to suspect Bill rolled Red Chili on purpose! :eek: ;) :bowdown: :bill:
You ever heard about when life gives you lemons you make lemonade?

I admit this is fresh hand-squeezed Antigua lemonade sweetened with raw cane sugar with a shot of very nice genuine agave tequila - but that's what it is. Just FYI, Red Chili II came about because some south of the border gentleman in a borrowed (and fortunately, insured) Ford Explorer decided red lights were optional. Red Chili I died that day, long live Red Chili II.

It's not whether life gives you 6 ft. speedbumps. It's what you let them turn into, I guess. I'm all about redeeming the situation.

And Terry definitely made it possible! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::cool:

And yeah, Brian, I plan to do only mall crawling. Where is my Mall Rated sticker?