Red_Chili's body swap

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I expect Terry will post pics of her after tonight. All the nasties had to get done before installing doors, fenders, windshield... which remain undone as of this moment to my knowledge.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Spy photo, lousy phone camera... proof that Terry actually works! He is running the die grinder. What you cannot hear is the evil gutteral laugh. He's getting into it.

Terry and Bushwacker mod.jpg

We are starting with Bushwackers, then modifying them.... more to come.

With those safety glasses he looks like that nasty bad character that Vin Diesel played whose eyes glowed funny...

87Xota

Long time no posts, sorry about that guy's.

Now that i've been working on Bill's truck for awhile, i've become a heavy drinker :beer::beer::beer: and it just really slows things down.

I spent alot of time on the wiring and trying to get this thing running again. I just about gave up, there was 4 or 5 wires that had to be cut that were part of the custom built wiring loom, many of them were the same color, red.

And one circuit, I never did find the original wire in the loom, it was a battery power input to the computer, I finally ended up running a new one to the underhood fuse box.

But Bill helped out by coming up with a wiring scematic that showed what voltage each pin on the computer shoud have, when I found that I didn't have battery power to one of the pins, I ran power to it, then I was getting spark and injector pulses but no fuel, then Bill and I found the wiring underneath that appeared to me to be just undercarriage lamp wiring, but the fuel pump power circuit was in that small loom, once we got that connected, it ran, Yeah!!

So I lost a week or two on that problem, and all the little things that are a killer on these jobs.

But now all the wiring is wrapped up and the dash is back in

Dsc03759.jpg

Last night we first fitted the flares and then drilled many holes in those freshly painted pristine quarter panels. Bill has decided to install Bushwacker flares :rolleyes:, since the stock bumper and side moulding are a thing of the past for Bill's truck, we had to remove about 4 inches of flare and then glue the bottom back on, for the rear portion of those flares to line up with the bottom of the quarter panels.

Dsc03756.jpg

Today i've benn filling the gap with bondo and they are ready to go to the painter now.

Dsc03755.jpg

Today the new windshield and mouldings were installed
Dsc03760.jpg

The whole truck is a real dusty dirty mess right now, but I am close to having all the body panels back on, maybe by the end of the week I can get some full vehicle shots :) with everything installed and cleaned up.

Just a little bit longer is my new mantra!!:p:

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Why would you put those f'ugly things on that beautiful truck? I thought they were only for covering rusted out wheel wells. What next some diamond plate on the lower 8" of the body.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Why would you put those f'ugly things on that beautiful truck? I thought they were only for covering rusted out wheel wells. What next some diamond plate on the lower 8" of the body.

Not just that but I bet he'll be packing a gun too! :p: :flipoff:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Your ass end usually gets wider as you age. Once Bill gets her some exercise on the trail, instead of letting her sit in the shop all day, those flares with get shaved down in no time. :p: I am not worried about Bill, my Leupold Mark 4 is sighted in for 2000yards. I'll see him long before he sees me...;)

Looks great, keep the pics coming.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
those are his "curb feelers"

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
No, those will be protected by my curb feelers.
So Farnham just wants me to prove him wrong, eh! No problem.

And yeah, I am usually packing my .44Mag just for, um, 'plinking'. But the inaugural run looks to be, in part, hauling a couple .300WSMs, a .308, and a .243, mostly shooting Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in the Wyoming Vermin Reduction and Freezer Filling Program.

Treeroot, you can be sighted in for 2000 yards (with bipod and prone no doubt), but you gotta be able to take a standing shot at a running target at 400 yards and hit it for me to be skeered!! :lmao:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
But seriously, the tires now stick out about 6" total with no flares. That will garner me mud all the time at a minimum, and irate motorists and constabulary harassment almost certainly. That is why I went with glass front fenders, and that requires rear fender extensions of some sort. After extensive searching, the Bushwackers are about the best (and almost the only) option.

Farnham, you may not like them in general, but you have not seen the finished product. They rather rock.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
This is what gave me the idea...

*I* don't think it looks too bad, really. YMMV.
opie-dickcepek-01.jpg

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:Princess::boozer::drink::party::drool:

The Chili is dead. Long live the Chili.

wesintl

RS Moderator
SCHWING.. I like the new hood scoop :thumb:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Wowzers that looks nice :thumb:

87Xota

Thanks everyone, for the compliments!!

I'm not a big fan of Bushwacker flares, I never really liked the looks of the pockets.

But I think these look pretty good on Bill's truck, and he certainely needs the coverage. And something that sticks out almost as far as the front fenders, helps it look good from the back.

Dsc03773_001.jpg

Dsc03772.jpg

Dsc03768.jpg

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Terry, you oughta be proud. Superb work.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
More superb work: I took it to John's Sunroofs for clear bra, they managed to squeeze me in after another shop where I had an appointment had run out of clear bra film and could not do my truck. Darrel, the owner of John's (John is his father in law, and Darrel bought the business years ago) came in especially to do my truck because of the complex curves in the front fenders.

Here he is hard at work:
darrell at Johns Sunroofs bra 1.jpg

Applying the film to the door lower part (I got a lot of rock chips there before):
darrell at Johns Sunroofs bra 2.jpg

The rear fender flare is not as complex as the front, but still needed some careful work:
darrell at Johns Sunroofs bra 3.jpg

He scores the plastic but does NOT perforate it, nor does he touch the paint beneath it. He said a lot of young guys just razorblade the film and cut into the paint :eek:.

For the front fenders, he had to inject alcohol beneath the film in one location, then suck the fluid out to remove an air bubble. It came out perfectly.

In fact, he is really picky about his tools and won't use a knife that doesn't feel *just* right. And he did not mind my watching him work. I've found that guys who are confident in their work don't mind spectators.

The most interesting part of this whole process has been finding people who excel in their trade!

87Xota

Glad to see you got that done Bill, that should really protect against rock chips.

How far up on the fenders and flares did he go?