Red_Chili's body swap

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Up to where the body takes a bend inward. Took it right to the corner of that bend. That is where I have had the most rock chips from my piss-poor sorry paint job that I put on my half doors, so I wanted to protect the wonderful paint you guys did.

Darrell complimented your paint job, BTW. And he is an old hot rodder and mighty picky.

I will be seeing him for a security system here shortly.
In putting on the new Can-Back (do I have things to be grateful for or WHAT!!?!? Can-Back is back in business and operating under a new owner), I ran into some issues. Can-Back's new owner did some redesigns starting with what little documentation they had from the old company (long story there), and some of them did not work out on the first run.

Can-Back's retail arm is TruckCandy.com, so I called them. They are sending out an already redesigned rear bar for the rear flap as soon as it is produced, and even loaning me a tool to reseat a nutsert that is not quite in place - with a return label to send it back.

Sure, I realize in this day and age most would just return stuff to WalMart if it isn't just right, but I appreciate their support and find it entirely reasonable and exactly what I wanted and needed.

Just a plug for good customer service. Shoot 'em a call. The new top is beeeeyoooteeeful.

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Ok Bill, flares don't look that bad. That's one fine looking rig, now just keep the rubber side down. Looking forward to seeing it with the new top, and in person. If I look toward Denver at about 6:30 am I can see the shine from that paint job all the way up here in Vail, amazing.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just did a Google Earth of Denver and noticed an differant kind of interest spot....I zoomed in and discovered it wouldn't let me find out what the spot was....then I realized it was no interest spot it was just a recent satellite picture of Littleton and the new spot is Bill house....amazing! :eek::eek::lmao:

Attachments

• Bills-Truck.jpg
    Bills-Truck.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 248

bkg

Love the 3M bra material...

But darned if that doesn't solidify the "mall-crawler" status. :p::p:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:lmao:
Only because you've only seen it on mall crawlers!
Fact is, I put it on the rocker panels because of pix of me offroad, and remembering all the gravel pits down there. So... I gotcher mallcrawler right here, buddy!

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
:lmao:
Only because you've only seen it on mall crawlers!
Fact is, I put it on the rocker panels because of pix of me offroad, and remembering all the gravel pits down there. So... I gotcher mallcrawler right here, buddy!

How come you just didn't Diamond Plate the sides to give you extra protection against bigger rocks?

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Unless he messes up and turns too soon he shouldn't be close to the landscaping rocks at Park Meadows! :lmao: :lmao: :eek: :bolt: :bowdown::bill: :hill:

Your Right! Didn't think about that and if he stay's between the rows he'll probably be okay. I guess he has armor underneath for the speed bumps.

87Xota

That's harsh, Bill you better come do 21 road with us to redeem your reputation as a real wheeler. It's only sheetmetal afterall :)

You might get to winch out a Jeep or two and I know you'd enjoy that :thumb:

See you Oct. 13th & 14th.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
That's harsh, Bill you better come do 21 road with us to redeem your reputation as a real wheeler. It's only sheetmetal afterall :)

You might get to winch out a Jeep or two and I know you'd enjoy that :thumb:

See you Oct. 13th & 14th.

:confused: Why would Bill be shopping at Forever 21? :rolleyes::hill:

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Up to where the body takes a bend inward. Took it right to the corner of that bend. That is where I have had the most rock chips from my piss-poor sorry paint job that I put on my half doors, so I wanted to protect the wonderful paint you guys did.

Darrell complimented your paint job, BTW. And he is an old hot rodder and mighty picky.

I will be seeing him for a security system here shortly.
In putting on the new Can-Back (do I have things to be grateful for or WHAT!!?!? Can-Back is back in business and operating under a new owner), I ran into some issues. Can-Back's new owner did some redesigns starting with what little documentation they had from the old company (long story there), and some of them did not work out on the first run.

Can-Back's retail arm is TruckCandy.com, so I called them. They are sending out an already redesigned rear bar for the rear flap as soon as it is produced, and even loaning me a tool to reseat a nutsert that is not quite in place - with a return label to send it back.

Sure, I realize in this day and age most would just return stuff to WalMart if it isn't just right, but I appreciate their support and find it entirely reasonable and exactly what I wanted and needed.

Just a plug for good customer service. Shoot 'em a call. The new top is beeeeyoooteeeful.

Bill,

What part are they replacing in the rear? I am very unhappy with the way the rear is sealed. For the money I spend I really do not like the top. It sags on the roof line, the side windows have no protection from the middle bar so it scratches the window in a day. Put up the sides and the back and you have ten little draw strings flapping in the wind.

In my opinion they should have taken their time and really finished the product. Adding some refinements to fix some of the problems I mentioned before. Not to mention that the rear window/tailgate cover rides up so you still get air into the cab.

I do have to give them props on the customer service part, I ordered mine and was told 5 days delivery. ten days later nothing. I called them on Monday and on Friday I had a Stainless Steel top on my 4runner. I bought the regular steel model.

I guess I need to call them and ask what is up with the rear of the top.

PS I used some hockey stick tape on the middle support so the window won't scratch as much.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
cool thing about 21 road is you can bail out whenever you want... he could pucker and tuck tail at any time! bonus!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bill,

What part are they replacing in the rear? I am very unhappy with the way the rear is sealed. For the money I spend I really do not like the top. It sags on the roof line, the side windows have no protection from the middle bar so it scratches the window in a day. Put up the sides and the back and you have ten little draw strings flapping in the wind.

In my opinion they should have taken their time and really finished the product. Adding some refinements to fix some of the problems I mentioned before. Not to mention that the rear window/tailgate cover rides up so you still get air into the cab.

I do have to give them props on the customer service part, I ordered mine and was told 5 days delivery. ten days later nothing. I called them on Monday and on Friday I had a Stainless Steel top on my 4runner. I bought the regular steel model.

I guess I need to call them and ask what is up with the rear of the top.

PS I used some hockey stick tape on the middle support so the window won't scratch as much.
Most of your complaints have always been true of the Can-Back. It requires adjusting to get the top snug and level, mine is. Regards scratching the windows, I used pipe insulation (like for a rollbar) to protect mine originally and will use it again.

The rear is a changed design, and I too do not like it. When I called about it, they told me they had also heard back from others and had redesigned the rear closure. They are shipping me the new rear design gratis, but even so, I saved the snap strip from the old top and will likely put in the snaps myself and reuse it. The bonus of the redesign, being able to open the tailgate, would be nice on a pickup but is actually harder on a 4Runner as there is no exterior latch. So they need to rethink that one. It creates production issues no doubt, as they would not be able to use the same rear flap for any minitruck cover if they made a special one for the 4Runner. Oh well.

They also ran into an issue with the angles of the ends of the cab adapter piece - as soon as I started to tell them, they knew exactly what the problem was, and what I had done was exactly what they will do in the next run. They apologized and explained how it happened, and it makes sense (part of the problem is an undocumented customization the old Can-Back company did to fix it, on an aluminum piece. The new one is steel. They should have tested it on an old 4Runner, but... I can spot them that. Simple mod).

Regards rolling up the sides and having the straps hanging (is that what you mean by draw strings?), I just tuck them in themselves and have had no issues. ScaldedDog put snaps on his, so he doesn't even use the buckles anymore. I kinda like the buckles so they work for me.

One of the nutserts was not fully seated. They send me a tool gratis to fix it since I had already mounted the top, then a label to send it back. Perfect.

I think it's the best top out there for an early 4Runner, and I loved my old one in daily use. The new one is nicely done, and I can fix what bugs me. Not bad for an early production run. I'm grateful I could get a replacement!!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Your Right! Didn't think about that and if he stay's between the rows he'll probably be okay. I guess he has armor underneath for the speed bumps.
OK, the truth is out. Never gonna wheel again. Just a show truck. I fess up.
Pink Tutu.jpg

With an onboard microwave.
pushbutton_getbacon.gif

And hubcaps to hide the beadlocks.
spinners2.gif

So quit picking on me!!!
bunny-cry.jpg

Evrgrnmtnman

Trail Ready
Have to admit! That sho is a pretty rig to have to get messed up on a trail. Maybe Stevenson Toyota will let you park that next to the FJ40 on the showroom floor. At least have your insurance adjuster with you on the next ride! NICE RIG!

bkg

So quit picking on me!!!
View attachment 6209

Awwwww.... :Princess: :D

Looking good, Bill. And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the 3M material. It's spendy, but I think it will be worth it. I'll have to investigate using that when I re-work my Runner.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yup. Ugly and fun are unrelated.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, I got tired of the 'improved' Can-Back rear panel closure system with the tube. I appreciate how well it will work with a pickup, it will be a great idea when they get the bugs worked out. For a 4Runner though, since the tailgate latch is INSIDE, it just makes life harder and it doesn't seal particularly well (that may change with their redesign).

So I learned to install snaps on canvas and reused the snap rail that Terry kindly saved from my wrecked tailgate! My wife was laughing at me after I invented a snap crimping tool from the hammer tool that came with the kit, some quality grinder time, a leather punch tool and a small C-clamp :lmao:. It works FABULOUSLY now. I guess I had a pretty funny expression on my face as I was showing her how I figured it out, and how well it worked. Who needs drugs, when you have homemade TOOLS!!!!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I invented a snap crimping tool from the hammer tool that came with the kit, some quality grinder time, a leather punch tool and a small C-clamp. It works FABULOUSLY now. I guess I had a pretty funny expression on my face as I was showing her how I figured it out, and how well it worked. Who needs drugs, when you have homemade TOOLS!!!!

worthless.gif