Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

Uncle Ben said:
Bruce and Barb,
Do not count on me just yet. We are in the middle of a huge refinance (biz) and timing doesn't look good. I will go if I can....and man do I hope that happens!

Kevin,
My advice is that if your refinancing takes place after 5pm on Friday you may be doing biz with the wrong lendershark :eek: and you'd be doing yourself a favor to come to the run instead. Seriously- I'm thinking I may drive my 40 from OKC and you can't make it across a couple hilltops---what's with that?? ;) As for the food- we don't have any good brew here, but we have a pretty good local dairy in Braums - anyone ever heard of it? I'd be glad to bootleg some of their ice cream for the trip if anyone is interested. If so, let me know what flavors are preferred. I'm really looking forward to the trip--106 at work today.

Dave

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like this is going to be a fun trip! :beer2: :campfire:

I'm installing an Aussie locker (thanks IanB) this afternoon, so hopefully, my 40 will be able to keep up.

So who will be the first person there on Friday to scout for a group site? I'm planning on being there Friday afternoon. Probably by 3pm.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Hey all!!

Since we are staying in southern Colorado between the Ouray trip to the TBP, we will probably be the first ones to scope out a group camp spot just up the road from Dorchester. Our plan is to pick up some hellium filled balloons in Gunnison to mark the trail to the camping spot.

Brian, as far as a head count goes, let's see a show of hands of who is going and how many in your party?

Martin, you bring the ice cream and we will supply the cobbler made with fresh picked Colorado fruit.

Today's weather forecast has snow above 11,000 ft, and Pearl Pass is over 12,000!! This will be interesting.

Bruce and Barbara Miller

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I think it was Dave who volunteered the Ice Cream. But I'll be happy to share my Beer! :beer:

I saw the weather reports too. Hopefully we'll get a warm spell the week of the run to melt any new snow. Guess I'll bring chains just in case. ;) I was going to run without my top, but maybe I'll throw on the soft top...

Just finished my locker install an hour ago. Time for a test drive! Click, Click, Click.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
MARTIN, you should be fine with an Aussie Locker from my estimation; we're about the same (I'm on 31 MT/Rs with a Lockrite). I heard about snow on Elbert this weekend, so maybe I should scope out chain tools so I can fix my chains to bring too! Hmmm good project for this week...trying to get the hardtop fixed up and put back together too, not sure the bikini is gonna cut it if it's cold/precipitating. Should be fun though!

ice cream & snow chains??

I can bring the ice cream-dry ice should get it there good and solid. I do have an "Okie" question for you folks tho--where will I find snow chains for 33x12.50x15's ? Not much chance of picking up a set of them in Oklahoma when it's been 100+ for 38 days so far this summer :(

Dave

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Badmoon said:
I can bring the ice cream-dry ice should get it there good and solid. I do have an "Okie" question for you folks tho--where will I find snow chains for 33x12.50x15's ? Not much chance of picking up a set of them in Oklahoma when it's been 100+ for 38 days so far this summer :(

Dave

I bought my last set from here http://www.tirechain.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM
Even in Denver this was the quickest and simplest way.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I bought a set of 4 from tirechain.com as well. No complaints.

I mentioned bringing chains half jokingly- :) - but if I do bring them, it will guarantee perfect warm weather. ;)

wesintl

RS Moderator
ehhh.. I don't have chains and I don't plan on buying any. I don't forsee an issue.

Just 1 in my party. I'd like to provide something.. what else do we need?

Convert

Hard Core 4+
3 maybe 4 in my party and I belive Bill (BVB) is also planning on this run

confirming

Bruce Miller said:
Dave Rising, I've got you on the confirmed list. We will be looking for you at the meeting place, Dorchester Campground, before 8:00 AM Saturday morning, September 9th.

I think you will enjoy this trip. It's an awful lot of wheeling thru some spectacular scenery.

Bruce,
It looks like I'll be by myself. I have a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG AT KO's on the rig now with a set of 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's in the shed- for these passes will it make any difference which set I run?

Dave

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Me and Kelsey will both be there Friday and Sat. nights. Anything to bring?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Badmoon said:
Bruce,
It looks like I'll be by myself. I have a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG AT KO's on the rig now with a set of 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's in the shed- for these passes will it make any difference which set I run?

Dave,

I'm only running 31" AT's, so either of your choices are better suited. In fact, I'll follow you so you can pull me along every time I get stuck! :D

Only one in my group as of right now. I'll be there Friday and Saturday night as well.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Confirming

I'm still planning to attend with my family.

One question - is the plan to run the shelf road on Italian Creek? I don't want to scare the crap out of my wife quite that early on the run by taking my oversized pig up the scree route, so we are planning on running the lower route through the forest.

Nay

wesintl

RS Moderator
For the folks that can't make it out to wheel on friday Ben and I plan to run schofield and lead king on sunday. We were hoping to be closer to run that trail on sunday :( (like camping in gothic)

I think Bruce would run it if some people can get off to run it friday and not sunday.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Yes, we're driving the shelf road and not the muddy lower road through the trees. Actually, I don't think we have ever taken the lower road in the 6 previous years we've been running the TBP. We all need to drive the shelf road part in order to improve our driving skills. As short as the shelf part is, why not let the faint of heart walk that part of the trail? We usually drive the shelf very slowly anyway so a person afoot would probably travel faster than most of the trucks.

We plan on driving to the Dorchester from the Ouray area a few days after the Ouray trip and would be willing to wheel Scofield or whatever.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Italian Creek Shelf Road

When we did this run on the TBP last year, my wife was driving when we came to that point. She then opted to walk, due to her GREAT fear of being on the scary side of the shelf. She walked, and me and my (then) 5 month old daughter drove. It was pretty cool.

Friday wheeling

For those who are planning to wheel Friday-where are you meeting and wheeling- and what time? I plan to be north of Taylor Park Res. sometime Friday-probably afternoon tho.

Thanks,
Dave

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Hey Wes and Ben, I'll run Schofield etc. with you on Sunday. If it's okay with everybody else I don't have a problem camping someplace else Sat. night.