Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Yes, confirming I'm attending. Four kids onboard (all small and very well mannered ;) ) so you can't miss us :cheers:

Nay

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dave Rising, I've got you on the confirmed list. We will be looking for you at the meeting place, Dorchester Campground, before 8:00 AM Saturday morning, September 9th.

I think you will enjoy this trip. It's an awful lot of wheeling thru some spectacular scenery.

Thanks!

Kevin, thanks for the kind words- all but that part about being a Texan. You KNOW I'm not that cultured :hill: I could however, easily be convinced to become a Coloradoan :thumb: Seriously, I'm really looking forward to some time off with great company and great scenary. I've been over Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Res, but not north to the campground; what is that road like? Is it good enough to get there with a Duramax towing an 18' trailer? If not, is there someplace I could offload and leave the pickup and trailer? My other choices are to drive my 99 Tacoma TRD, but it doesn't have any sliders or rear protection and I don't really want to tear it up as I'm getting ready to sell it. Or I could drive the wifes' 94 FZJ80- same problems there though, so I'd really prefer to bring the 40 (not necessarily driving it all the way tho!) Should I expect any problems with these passes driving a 40 lifted 2.5" with 33x12.50x 15 BFG MT's? I'm locked front and rear. Bruce and all- thanks for allowing a stranger into the mix; I promise not to buy any properties this trip:D Thanks again,

Dave

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Confirming I will be there:thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Badmoon said:
I've been over Cottonwood Pass to Taylor Res, but not north to the campground; what is that road like? Is it good enough to get there with a Duramax towing an 18' trailer?

Should I expect any problems with these passes driving a 40 lifted 2.5" with 33x12.50x 15 BFG MT's? I'm locked front and rear.

Hi Dave,

The road North to Taylor reservoir is a mantained, graded dirt road and there should be plenty of room for a trailer/offloading, etc.

I'm wondering about your second question myself. My 40 has 2.5" lift with 31's and no lockers, so I'm wondering how we'll fare on these trails too. There are suppossed to be some difficult sections, but your rig is better equipped than mine, and 40's in general are better suited than most vehicles. Maybe someone who has done this in the past can put our concerns to rest ??

I will most definitely be there and am WAY excited!
I have had some very generous offers to pick me up in Denver and drag me into the bush. Extra camping gear offered as well! As time gets closer we'll have to iron out the details.

I'm wondering about the weather. September in the mountains should provide....what... kind of climate? I'm used to winter here in PA with very cold temps and snow, but not in SEPT :D

Just trying to figure out what to bring is all.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Hey Chris,
I would come prepared for anything. (layers are a good plan, and bring rain gear). In September, up high, it could be snowing. It also might be 90 degrees down lower (Denver). Since I'm driving with no top, I'm going to plan on it being cold! If you're in one of the plush cruisers with ammenities like heat and A/C, then you have no worries.

As I mentioned, I have a spare tent, sleeping bag, Therma-rest, flashlights, cooking gear, etc. that you are welcome to use.

Last edited:

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Klunky Chris said:
I will most definitely be there and am WAY excited!
I have had some very generous offers to pick me up in Denver and drag me into the bush. Extra camping gear offered as well! As time gets closer we'll have to iron out the details.

I'm wondering about the weather. September in the mountains should provide....what... kind of climate? I'm used to winter here in PA with very cold temps and snow, but not in SEPT :D

Just trying to figure out what to bring is all.

We have Oktoberfest in Sept because Sept is typically a nice month. It will not be raining above treeline anymore if there is a storm or two, but Sept is usually pretty dry.

So...be prepared for temps to drop into the 20's and even possibly teens for camping at near 10,000 feet. Days should be warm, aspens should be turning, scenery should be spectacular.

Think "layers" :D

Nay

wesintl

RS Moderator
Think nov in east coast terms. You won't see 90 in taylor park or CB you can in denver though. I think avg highs will be low to mid 60's. It could snow and it'd be 30-40* Like Nay says. warm days, cool (or for an east coaster with cold nights).

I remember one year I came out labor day we went wheeling up to wheeler lake above Brek, It snowed and was pretty darn cold.

again, layers is you best bet.;)

Just slate some $ for a trip to the north face outlet or something like that :lmao:

Thanks for the heads up guys,
I just drove all mom's belongings back here from the Oregon coast with a stop in Yellowstone and Black Hills/ Badlands. Amazing how different weather is in different places. The OR coast was COLD!!! It's been a while since I've had a taste of high altitude as well.
This got me thinking.

I have all the cold weather gear I need, I just need to figure out how to bring it :D
Martin, thanks tons for the extra gear!!! I'll be taking you up on that offer if it's alright. That way I don't have to torture some well meaning host with my bear like snoring...
...also leaves more room for clothes..... and Lager :D

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Klunky Chris said:
I have all the cold weather gear I need, I just need to figure out how to bring it :D

Big cheap duffel bag from REI & Check it. I did this once flying back from LA after a week in tahoe. At least your not bringing a tent with fiberglass poles - Bomb scanners don't like those at all. :D

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
You guys gotta stop shopping at REI. That's a radical enviromental anti-wheeling organization!

The road up to Dorchester (and beyond to the dead end) is very well maintained and is 2 WD friendly.

And, regarding snoring like a bear, Dorchester has a large population of bears that we have to be aware of. There are signs to that effect in the campground.

I still hope the group might give some thought to a group camp site just a short distance to the north of Dorchester.

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I would prefer to camp outside of the actual campground, all things being equal.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
going further north sounds more adventurous! I'm in

I sounds great. First, Chris, if you need anything else in camping gear, give me a call. Also, what is everybody doing for dinner Saturday night? Just a suggestion, I can provide conch chowder and lobster for everyone (if I know how many) if other people want to bring the sides and of course, beer! Let me know.
I was just at Taylor 2 weeks ago, the road north from the reservor is 2 wheel drive but has gotten a little washboard. Bruce, if anybody is doing Schofield pass of Friday (or Sunday), I can be there any time.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Brian,

The conch chowder and lobster sound great. I, Barbara, can provide fresh fruit cobbler (dutch oven), and fresh baked (dutch oven) bread/rolls. Maybe we can even remember to bring along some ice cream for the cobbler. If there is still Olathe corn available, maybe we can have some of that as well.

By the way, how did you find conch chowder? I haven't been able to find conch anywhere locally.

See you for the TBP!

Barbara and Bruce

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Bruce Miller said:
Here's who I think is going on the Triple Bypass trip. Please let me know if my information is incorrect. The names are: subzali, uncle ben, hulk, lexusben, wes, convert, martin, klunky chris, nay, romer, & beachboy.

I want to know who I'm looking for as we gather at the Dorchester Campground Saturday morning.

Jeanette and I will be there in the FJ55. We're probably going to stay in BV Friday night and meet up with you all Saturday morning. Also, we're probably headed home Saturday after the run.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Bruce Miller said:
Here's who I think is going on the Triple Bypass trip. Please let me know if my information is incorrect. The names are: subzali, uncle ben, hulk, lexusben, wes, convert, martin, klunky chris, nay, romer, & beachboy.

I want to know who I'm looking for as we gather at the Dorchester Campground Saturday morning.

Bruce and Barb,
Do not count on me just yet. We are in the middle of a huge refinance (biz) and timing doesn't look good. I will go if I can....and man do I hope that happens!

Dear Bruce,

Just let me know a few days in advance on how many people that will be there. I buy my conch when I go down to the Florida Keys, then the chowder is my family recipe from years back in Florida that I make myself. It just got cold in Breckenridge today, I hope it doesn't start snowing yet!!!