Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

Nay

Hard Core 4+
Nay said:
I am going to try and make this trip. I haven't camped at Dorchester since the first Fall I lived in CO (1998) and I absolutely love this loop. First week of Sept should be spectacular for scenery.

What's the backup plan if we get to the top of Pearl and it's still snowed in? More time in CB? :beer: :thumb: :cheers:

Nay

Ok, I just went out and spent $500 on sleeping bags and gear for the kids...so count me in :cheers:

MARTIN said:
Chris, I have a spare tent and some extra gear I can bring along for you. You just have to supply your own :beer:
WOW!
That's excellent! Thanks Martin!
Now if I could only find a way to bring some Yuengling Lager out with me.... Americas oldest brewery you know :D
Be a cool trade. I know you guys have some good local beverages out there!

This is so cool. I'm totally psyked!

wesintl

RS Moderator
Carry it on Chris. I usually take a case of fat tire home to Va. for the friends whenever I visit.

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
If Pearl Pass is closed due to snow, it will only be because of new snow, not snow from last winter. Although new snow is possible, I think it's unlikely. The Farmer's Almanac says cool temps September 9th with the first measurable snowfall in October.

I am hoping we can all camp at one of the unofficial "group" camping spots to the north of the Dorchester Campground. Dorchester is a fee area. I don't think the group spots are "fee" areas since there's no outhouse or well water as in Dorchester. Unless you think the campground is the place to be due to kids and facilities, it may be fun to camp together. That way, we can all contribute to one group campfire and when the bears haul off one of the kids, one of us can point in the direction the bear took off in.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
We are going to stay in the Fairplay / Hartsel area and drive over in the am.
Dan

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Red_Chili said:
THANKYOU, Bruce!:thumb:
THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.
Very cool.:cheers:

So we'll se you at the TBP, right?:thumb:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I can't find the campground on my Ataas. One web serach puts it inside of Gunnison and the other puts it 10 miles from Aspen. I can find Taylor Park Res. Doubt I will be camping with you, just want to make sure I understand where the meeting point is. I am about 60% right now about going.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not 100% sure myself, but from what I could find, it's just north of the the spot where the Italian creek trail meets the Taylor Pass trail. The intersection is a bit north of the Taylor Reservoir. Here's a map, I circled the campground that I believe is Dorchester. Taylor Reservoir is at the bottom.

86794382-L.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
Go over cottonwood from buena vista and once you hit Taylor park Res (pic above) make a right and follow it up to dorchester. Taylor park is a really pretty area.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Bruce Miller said:
As a result of the poll, this year's 7th annual TBP trip will be on Saturday, September 9th. The meeting place will be the Dorchester Campground at 8:00 AM that Saturday morning. Dorchester Campground is on the north side of Taylor Park and the Taylor Reservoir.

We think the fastest route to Dorchester from Denver is Highway 285 to Buena Vista, then out of Buena Vista over Cottonwood Pass and down into Taylor Park. Where the Cottonwood Pass road dead ends at Taylor Reservoir, turn right or north and drive to Dorchester Campground. We think this trip will take about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

So you think maybe it's an hour from BV? If Jeanette comes with me we might try and stay in BV Friday night and come over in the morning. If I'm by myself, maybe I'll bring my sleeping bag. :p:

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
By my calculations I think it's 25 miles from BV to Taylor Reservoir. From that point, I think it's 15 more miles north to Dorchester Campground, our meeting place. Times are calculated as if you drive like my kids drive, that is, all four wheels are never on the ground at the same time. Times may be longer if your navigator's screaming causes you to slow down.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
We are going to run over to Taylor Res. this weekend to fish and geocache so I will see what the time frame is from BV to Taylor Res
Dan

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Brian,
The day we actually wheel the Triple Bypass is on Saturday, September 9th, leaving the Dorchester Campground at 8:00 AM that Saturday morning. We're driving to the Dorchester area on Friday the 8th, then driving back home on Sunday the 10th.

If the trip goes as planned, we should be driving down Taylor Pass and back to Dorchester about 6:00 PM Saturday evening.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Shark Bait said:
So you think maybe it's an hour from BV? If Jeanette comes with me we might try and stay in BV Friday night and come over in the morning. If I'm by myself, maybe I'll bring my sleeping bag. :p:

Driving the speed limit and with some traffic it took 45 min to get to taylor res from BV on Saturday

Bruce Miller

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
You're On The List

Here's who I think is going on the Triple Bypass trip. Please let me know if my information is incorrect. The names are: subzali, uncle ben, hulk, lexusben, wes, convert, martin, klunky chris, nay, romer, & beachboy.

I want to know who I'm looking for as we gather at the Dorchester Campground Saturday morning.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Confirming I'll be there. :thumb:

Is there going to be a group campsite? I'll be heading in Friday afternoon. I'll be in my Green FJ40.

Also: I was wondering if anyone else is heading down Friday from the Denver area and might want to caravan (if you also have a slow rig) ?

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've got to rebuild my front axle. If I get this done, I'm in.

I must pick only one: Triple Bypass or Ouray. It's looking more like the Triple Bypass will be chosen.

Flatlander allowed?

Hi all:
I just joined the forum and have a couple questions. I don't want to be a party crasher, but was wondering if you'd mind another non-member joining you for the TBP? We've vacationed in Colo nearly every summer since 1990, but I couldn't break free from work this year & I'm having severe withdrawls! Anyhoo, the wife gave me clearance to make this run (she's heard me say how fun it sounds too many times I guess) if I could finish my work projects in time. I'd be coming by myself and would offer to bring some good local brew, if only there were such a thing :eek: (Oklahoma is a 3.2 state afterall). Thanks for the B/W- you have a great site.

Dave Rising ( really is my last name :cool: )

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I'll vouch for Rising. He's a top notch guy....just don't let him know I said that! :rolleyes: :thumb: ;) Dang now I want to go even more...... WARNING: Dave is really an undercover Texan and he will be trying to buy any hotels and/or tourist traps along the way so watch him closely! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :hill: :cheers:
Badmoon said:
Hi all:
I just joined the forum and have a couple questions. I don't want to be a party crasher, but was wondering if you'd mind another non-member joining you for the TBP? We've vacationed in Colo nearly every summer since 1990, but I couldn't break free from work this year & I'm having severe withdrawls! Anyhoo, the wife gave me clearance to make this run (she's heard me say how fun it sounds too many times I guess) if I could finish my work projects in time. I'd be coming by myself and would offer to bring some good local brew, if only there were such a thing :eek: (Oklahoma is a 3.2 state afterall). Thanks for the B/W- you have a great site.

Dave Rising ( really is my last name :cool: )

Last edited: