Official 2006 Triple Bypass Thread

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Just talked with CJ7 Matt, he's about 50/50 on if he'll come. He'd like to, but doesn't know if he can get away from SAE MiniBaja. He'd be there at least Friday night I'd imagine, probably Sat. night too.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I am thinking of coming on this run and if I do would be bringing my camper and coming up Friday afternoon. I take it I don't need a reservation for a campground.

Hey guys,
Another one of those that is not yet a member, but would love to go on a trip. Wondering if this is something for a stock 100, or am I way out of my league. Rear locker, AT's in good shape, running boards removed. Not looking for body damage, scrapes and dings are OK. Let me know. Thanks.
Dave

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Still interested in running Schoifield on sunday, all though I dont see any point
in moving camp on saturday. I belive I read that we wont get back to camp
untill 6pm.Just my 2cents
Dan

Nay

Hard Core 4+
trout14 said:
Hey guys,
Another one of those that is not yet a member, but would love to go on a trip. Wondering if this is something for a stock 100, or am I way out of my league. Rear locker, AT's in good shape, running boards removed. Not looking for body damage, scrapes and dings are OK. Let me know. Thanks.
Dave

None of these trails are "way out of league" for a competent stock rig with an experienced driver in the sense of being "hardcore".

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Triple By-pass & The Millers locale for the week.

Just an FYI--Bruce and Barbara (Bruce Miller) will be out of town from friday Sept 1st. They just got done leading the Ouray trip(SWEET!!:thumb: ) and they will be hanging out either in Ouray or Crested Butte for the week, kind of vacationing. They will be in Dorchester(or just outside the CG) by early friday.

I will help answer any questions if I can.

Romer--The plan is to have a group campsite outside the "Official" Dorchester CG. Just head toward the Dorchester CG and look for Bruce and Barb. Trust me, in what vehicle they are driving, you won't be able to miss them! (Hint--look at some of the pictures from the Ouray Trip Report!:grinpimp: )

Trout14--this is a good medium run. Be prepared for shelf roads, small obstacles and loads of beautiful scenery. If you need any guidance, there are folks who can (and will) lend a hand. Make sure you have a CB(handie-talkie minimum). it helps out loads when you are unfamiliar with the trail.
Cheers.

wesintl

RS Moderator
whoo hoo. only 4 days to go!

We almost had all models in ouray. With chris in the 55 we should be closer. Who's driving the 60?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
trout14 said:
Hey guys,
Dave

I haven't done these trails either, but from the descriptions I read of Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass and the Reno Divide, they are all rated medium to difficult (but not hardcore) and some descriptions said they were not suitable for stock vehicles. It's a personal judgement call I guess. All of the write ups and pics I've seen make it look like there are several tricky rock obstacles requiring high clearance and lots of narrow sections and shelf roads.

I was wondering what the planned itinerary is, which trails and in what order??

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
Here is the deal for Sunday (at least what Wes and I talked about in Ouray). Stay camping at/near Dorchester for Sat night. Leave in the morning, probably no later than 8:30 and head over to CB via jacks cabin. Go up paradise divide, throught devils punchbowl to lead king and lead king to marble. Turn around and head back on devil's punchbowl past crystal mill this time, then back to cb on the other side of paradise divide. Pretty much one big loop. I know Wes and I are in. Dan talked about wanting to do it as well on Sunday. Anyone else is welcome.

ben

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
MARTIN said:
I haven't done these trails either, but from the descriptions I read of Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass and the Reno Divide, they are all rated medium to difficult (but not hardcore) and some descriptions said they were not suitable for stock vehicles. It's a personal judgement call I guess. All of the write ups and pics I've seen make it look like there are several tricky rock obstacles requiring high clearance and lots of narrow sections and shelf roads.

I was wondering what the planned itinerary is, which trails and in what order??
The plan would be to go over Taylor Pass, Pearl Pass, then return to Dorchester via Italian Creek Pass. The challenge is not necessarily in the trails, but in getting all the folks over all three passes in one day(hence the name Triple Bypass). One rig could easily make it, but a group makes it challenging.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
LEXUSBEN said:
Here is the deal for Sunday (at least what Wes and I talked about in Ouray). Stay camping at/near Dorchester for Sat night. Leave in the morning, probably no later than 8:30 and head over to CB via jacks cabin. Go up paradise divide, throught devils punchbowl to lead king and lead king to marble. Turn around and head back on devil's punchbowl past crystal mill this time, then back to cb on the other side of paradise divide. Pretty much one big loop. I know Wes and I are in. Dan talked about wanting to do it as well on Sunday. Anyone else is welcome.

ben

(Napolean Dynamite)Lucky!!
I have to go to Vegas with the handbrake. :(

Nay

Hard Core 4+
I'm Out

I just got signed up for a business trip and that cancels the TBP for me :mad:

Nay

wesintl

RS Moderator
Roll call?

Bruce and Barbara
me
lexusben
convert +2
subzali +1
badmoon
hatfield +1
martin
beachboy
Klunky Chris (riding)
BVB +1
trout14 +2

romer?
uncleben?
sno bored?

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
you should be in... you know you want to come :)

You're in... Do i have to buy more Sierra Nevada for you? ;)

Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Update--9-5-06

Just got a call from Bruce--

He wanted me to remind folks that this is a fast paced trip. 54 miles of wheeling, which does not include the mileage in-between trails, getting to the trailhead from camp or going back to camp from the trailend.

A stock vehicle with a capable driver will do just fine on this trip. Even a stock vehicle with a driver willing to learn how to be a "capable driver" will do fine.

He also said there is a suprise for everyone who makes it from start to finish without boning out midway. A 7th annual triple bypass..........what, I wonder?

Convert

Hard Core 4+
wesintl said:
Roll call?

Bruce and Barbara
me
lexusben
convert
subzali +1
badmoon
hatfield +1
martin
beachboy
Klunky Chris (riding)

romer?
trout14?
uncleben?
sno bored?

Wes
I have 2 riders with me for TBP
Bill VanBeek is also going and has a rider
WooHoo only 2 days of work left!!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Wish I didnt have to work this Saturday:rant:

It looks like about 25 people so far signed up, I would like to have a complete update (or as close as possible) by tomorrow(Thursday) night. For you new people signing up to go, I will be bringing lobster, shrimp and conch chowder for dinner Saturday night. I hope some people will bring sides and drinks. Isn't the camground on the left, the road that starts up Taylor pass, or is it elsewhere? There are several up that way from the lake.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Beachboy said:
It looks like about 25 people so far signed up, I would like to have a complete update (or as close as possible) by tomorrow(Thursday) night. For you new people signing up to go, I will be bringing lobster, shrimp and conch chowder for dinner Saturday night. I hope some people will bring sides and drinks. Isn't the camground on the left, the road that starts up Taylor pass, or is it elsewhere? There are several up that way from the lake.

The meeting place for Saturday is the Dorchester Campground. It is on the left if you're driving North on the Taylor Park road. Here's a map:

86794382-L.jpg

The group campsite is supossed to be North of there. Bruce said he would locate a suitable spot and mark the entrance so we could find it as we arrive.

I'm bringing some extra food and :beer: to share as well.

EDIT: Just noticed the weather forcast for the Crested Butte area is thuderstorms for the next six days... I hope they are wrong as usual.