• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Moab trails closed.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Maybe we need a new section called "Trail Closures: Threats & Fights" in addition to our normal Land Use planning section. We could put it up in the top section.

If y'all like this idea, I'm open to a better name than my suggestion.
a more shocking section might be "trails closed"
list all the trails we've lost and the mileage of each one.

it's sad how many trails i've driven that i'll never be able to drive again.

levi

Rising Sun Member
a more shocking section might be "trails closed"
list all the trails we've lost and the mileage of each one.

it's sad how many trails i've driven that i'll never be able to drive again.
A concrete list would be great.
Dumb question, is there a corresponding list of trail openings worth tracking?

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
A concrete list would be great.
Dumb question, is there a corresponding list of trail openings worth tracking?
Grand Junction jeep club got a new trail opened this year by Billings. I believe it took Jeff well over a decade of work? The trail is roughly 1/4 mile long.
Anyone have any other new trails to add

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Grand Junction jeep club got a new trail opened this year by Billings. I believe it took Jeff well over a decade of work? The trail is roughly 1/4 mile long.
Anyone have any other new trails to add
only 1 year per 40 yards of trail.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I bought some stickers off Facebook... Screenshot_20240223-231032.pngScreenshot_20240223-231044.png

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Jack Bickers is pinwheeling in his grave, rest his soul. I simply can't imagine what he would think of all this. Sad.
Yup. But I wonder what Jack would think of the mass of industrial tourism that weighs down Moab, maybe he and Edward Abbey would find common ground. I doubt the F350 brodozer + 5th wheel toy hauler + trailer full of SxS users could possibly understand Jack's exploration method using a CJ5 on 30" and a good pair of hiking boots.

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yup. But I wonder what Jack would think of the mass of industrial tourism that weighs down Moab, maybe he and Edward Abbey would find common ground. I doubt the F350 brodozer + 5th wheel toy hauler + trailer full of SxS users could possibly understand Jack's exploration method using a CJ5 on 30" and a good pair of hiking boots.
You are 100% correct, Dave. The world is a different place now and using your definition of how things are today, not for the better. When Jack first started taking me up to the area northwest of Moab in 2002 you might see a single RV with a couple of quads on a trailer along the main roads. Twenty years later and every possible camping area was completely covered in groups of ten or more RV vehicles with the attendant play toys. A little mind boggling.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
Don't give up y'all.

There are two very important comment periods open or opening.

First is the new Bears Ears NM RMP happening right now and open for comment. Their preferred alternative (E) fortunately isn't nearly as caustic as the Moab Labrynth Rims & upcoming Swell TMP BUT it does close Arch Canyon, a trail we have permitted for Cruise Moab over the years. It's a fantastic trail.

Here is Alternative E:
1710273059404.jpeg

1710273100539.jpeg

I invite you to read more about routes that get closed under E and others here:
Learn and comment here:

The Swell could be brutal to motorized access. This map illustrates it best :(

1710273180491.jpeg

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
Unreal.

It's a suckers choice no matter what. All agenda-driven and we all know where this is gonna be in 10 years.

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I’m shocked it’s taken this long to target Arch Canyon for closure. One of my favorite places to go. But between all the Native American ruins, 20+ creek crossings, and really no where to pass people except the creek it’s a tough trail to keep impact to a minimum if anyone else is out there. Would suck to loose it. Would suck more if people found out about it in masses.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I’m shocked it’s taken this long to target Arch Canyon for closure. One of my favorite places to go. But between all the Native American ruins, 20+ creek crossings, and really no where to pass people except the creek it’s a tough trail to keep impact to a minimum if anyone else is out there. Would suck to loose it. Would suck more if people found out about it in masses.
Just another way that social media has an impact that isn't necessarily a positive thing.. When I see threads about sharing your favorite secret campsites I just wanna gack.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I thought Arch Canyon already was closed. Maybe it got closed and then re-opened?

Are they trying to close Hotel Rock? I loved that trail even more than Arch Canyon. Would like to do this one again sometime.

cruiseroutfit

Wasatch Cruisers
Cruise Moab Committee
I thought Arch Canyon already was closed. Maybe it got closed and then re-opened?

Are they trying to close Hotel Rock? I loved that trail even more than Arch Canyon. Would like to do this one again

They shortened Arch Canyon and moved it to a permit system during the last RMP/TMP revisions but it remained open.

The map is a little confusing on Hotel Rock, I need to dig deeper on access from the north.