• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Minnesota 40

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
33’s. Pay me now or pay me later. 😎
I like how you think, Steve. Going to put the wheels and tires from my 60 on it just to see how it rides and if it would fit in the garage. 255/85r16 MT's on 16" 70 series wheels. Pretty close to 33's.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not much done on the 40 this weekend. Got the seat (lap) belts cleaned up and somewhat adjustable and installed a new lock cylinder in driver door. Feel a little better that I can lock it if I park somewhere.

Took the kiddo out in the fj60 to harvest some pumpkins, gourds and apples at a local farm. That was fun. Crazy good pumpkin harvest this year in Iowa with the drought. Even had some folks stop to take pics of the old 60.

i-W5CLH6v-M.jpg

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Man - just seeing this thread for the first time. Love the new 40 Martin. And you might want to stop feeding your child - she seems to be growing too fast...

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Man - just seeing this thread for the first time. Love the new 40 Martin. And you might want to stop feeding your child - she seems to be growing too fast...
🤣 I know it! Her attitude is even bigger than she is. She'll be building a cruiser of her own soon.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Work has been busy and not much free time on the weekends to wrench, but have been chipping away at front axle now that I have all the parts.

i-HvNHWZp-M.jpg

Everything is in pretty good condition. No unusual wear, no broken bolts disassembling.

i-s4nJ3hK-M.jpg

Decided to clean and paint everything while its apart.

i-sQpZ6DN-L.jpg
i-Sr4DXjJ-L.jpg

i-KDq2g45-M.jpg

All new brake components going in as well. Cruiser Outfitters had the made in Japan parts for the front. Unfortunately, the rear wheel cylinders are getting tough to source. Had to go with SOR for the rear. Made in Taiwan, unfortunately. We'll see how they compare. Keeping the originals to maybe rebuild someday. Love the safety wire on old drum brake front ends.. All of the original hard lines and banjo fittings are in great shape.

i-7BRcPSH-M.jpg

Note to anyone doing brakes like these: It's much easier to reassemble flare fittings loosely first, then attach banjos to wheel cylinders, then tighten it all up.

i-qPrkGkR-M.jpg

Good old Selectros. (What other options are there for old course spline birfs?)

i-g5GMGPT-M.jpg

Need to get the brakes bled and swap the wheels and tires from my 60 onto the 40. Should be rolling again soon!

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
33’s. Pay me now or pay me later. 😎

Not so sure Steve? I put the 255/85r16`s (33's) on it and I have almost no clearance with this lift. This is the most narrow "33" i could find. Almost certain to get tire/body contact with this lift/tire/wheel combo. :cautious:

i-L9crpk4-M.jpg

Almost no clearance, and it's going to settle.

i-TNxQ6Hs-M.jpg

Last edited:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I think the OME 2.5 lift is only good for 31's unless you never take it off the pavement.
I think the OME 2.5 lift is only good for 31's unless you never take it off the pavement.
Offset of the wheels pictured? 33x10.50 on stock 40 rims fit no problem with a similar lift suspension by another manufacturer.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Offset of the wheels pictured? 33x10.50 on stock 40 rims fit no problem with a similar lift suspension by another manufacturer.
Pretty sure they are 3.5, same as fj60 and fj40 steel wheels.

I did some searches on mud and it's a common setup, so maybe my concern is unwarranted. I`ll run it around carefully and see how it flexes.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Spare doesn't fit on early swing out either, so definitely have to go smaller than 255/85r16.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Big tires fit on the carrier when you slice em and dice em and glue em back together
Look no big stack of washers ma

65A84EAA-DD71-47B4-BE0B-1B8472DE045B.jpeg

CB95A2D1-7E70-4105-8D71-33E33AB7F11A.jpeg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Let me know if you want to do that Martin
If so I think I have a spare bracket you can have to modify and keep your stock one stock

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Of course you can totally not the point
That’s what we did on the 69 but I always hated it

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Might take you up on that Mike. I don't want to cut the original. A spacer might work, but its a heavy wheel and tire, and moving it out, and not up will make that old style carrier rattle like crazy. Had that issue on my 73 with the 34's.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not much progress lately, only an hour or two on the weekends to work. Have everything on front and rear axles reassembled. Did the new brake wheel cylinders all around with new shoes. Have not been able to get the brakes bled though. I've pumped 2 bottles of dot3 through it but never get good pedal and endless air bubbles. My wife and daughter now refuse to help... 😂 even tried a vacuum/reverse bleeder, but just made a mess on my newly painted parts.

60 is now in winter hibernation, 40 immobilized with no brakes, so probably no more updates till next year.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Did you do a new master cylinder? Sometimes when you are bleeding an old setup the old master’s seals can push past a funky spot in the bore and get trashed. It’s because Travel is longer when you are bleeding as opposed to when the brakes were bled before the work.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Did you do a new master cylinder? Sometimes when you are bleeding an old setup the old master’s seals can push past a funky spot in the bore and get trashed. It’s because Travel is longer when you are bleeding as opposed to when the brakes were bled before the work.
Good thought, Marco, I did not. The PO did at some point, but not sure when. It's an aftermarket unit. I've been considering a dual circuit conversion, so now might be the time I suppose.