Minnesota 40

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I’m jonesing for the City Racer 16” w hubcaps. Just way better tire sizes for 16….if you’re into the tall skinnies like I want.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
My vote too. But having a hard time finding tires in the size i want for those 15x5.5 rims! Must have patience I guess.
what size are you thinking? And are you going to go with new tires, or something more old school?

something like this would look so awesome, IMO... https://www.cokertire.com/tires/sta-traxion-700-15.html
sta-l78-traxion-1000px_7.jpg

but I know you're no stranger to bias ply.. just leave off the valve stems!

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for posting these Tim. I wonder how tall these are mounted? 29"? 30"?

EDIT: Never mind....it says 30"...missed that!

They are exactly the look that I like on the 40, but I wonder if they would look weird with the "light load" OME springs which give a 2" lift or so? That would be my only concern with these tires is whether they would just look too small? I need to find more pics of these mounted w FJ4X.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Actually ordered my OME setup from Cruiser Outfitters today! I like those tires a lot Tim! But, yeah, they're not available in anything bigger than 30ish on 15 inch rims.

I saw this 40 with the bigger firestone super tractions and love it, but pretty sure they are nla.

i-LLQ9BKg-L.jpg

(Lots of weirdness & wrong parts going on with that 40, but I still like it)

Been hunting for super swamper 32x10.50r15 tsl radials for stock rims, but they are unavailable right now everywhere. 4wheel parts has a couple, but not a full set.

Going to focus on axle service, brakes and lift for now. Maybe tires will be easier to find in a month or 2?

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
These are the tires I put on my flattie. I did a lot of searching. Picked these because they are radials.

IMG_5994.jpeg
IMG_5995.jpeg
IMG_5998.jpeg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Exactly why I eventually want 16s w stock hubcaps like City Racer sells.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Getting ready to tear into the axles and suspension on the 40. Got my care packages from Cruiser Outfitters this week!

One concern I have is; will this thing fit in my garage with the OME lift and bigger (32") tires? Anyone have a 40 with a hardtop and a similar setup that could measure roof height? My garage door is around 80".

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have no leg to stand on, but you should be fine. My old mini truck was on 37’s and 4” lift and I had about 3/4” to 1” between roof and garage door

rover67

Rising Sun Member
We have 7’ doors and the 40 with OME light and 31’s is tight but it fits…

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
We have 7’ doors and the 40 with OME light and 31’s is tight but it fits…
Yikes, I might have to take the top off or air down to get in and out. Marco, can you throw a level on your roof and measure exact height? I could go 31's if it makes a difference.

Trying to talk Kim into letting me rebuild a bigger better garage. Or move somewhere with a bigger better garage... ;)

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
What's the 40 look like before and after?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
What's the 40 look like before and after?
Still working on it! It's been awhile since I did a 40 lift, and it's been 90 degrees out and humid in my tiny crappy garage. Couple hours at a time is all I can get this time of year. Will definitely post some before and after pics.

The 50+ year old parts came off surprisingly easy. Nothing badly rusted or bent. Underside of this 40 doesn't look like it was wheeled hard.

i-FcQmJKt-L.jpg

New parts from Cruiser Outfitters ready for assembly.
i-2BgKTpN-M.jpg

Still can see the yellow assembly paint in places on the undercarriage.

i-G7L4vVn-L.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Finished up the lift today. Finally got the pesky steering stabilizer(s) off and everything bolted in and greased up. Rides nice and I don't feel like I'm in a low rider anymore.

i-NqJFQvb-M.jpg

i-wz447kq-M.jpg

Driveshafts were packed full of old grease. Couldn't compress them enough to re install, so pulled them apart and cleaned them up. Everything underneath has a thick layer of dirt/oil mix, so original paint has been preserved. :hill:

i-HbzNTnd-M.jpg

Need to get rid of the old chevy wheels and 29" hankook snow tires. I fit through my garage doors with 4 inches to spare after the lift, so I think 31's will be no problem.

i-Bw4qBxz-M.jpg