Live from Cruise Moab

Nice Canadian couple had kind of bad day on Hells Gate.

Attachments

• IMG_1350 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1350 (Small).JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_1358 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1358 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_1442 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1442 (Small).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_1444 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1444 (Small).JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_1445 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1445 (Small).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 935
last few of the wedgie on poison spider

Attachments

• IMG_1481 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1481 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 945
  • IMG_1480 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1480 (Small).JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 948
  • IMG_1472 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1472 (Small).JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_1468 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1468 (Small).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 953
  • IMG_1462 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1462 (Small).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 940

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Some pre-run stuff -

Randy (with air) on Fins

Mike on Kenny's Climb

Bill on Kennys Climb

Redfox and Chris on Wipeout hill

Attachments

• Randy.jpg
    Randy.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 955
  • Mike.jpg
    Mike.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 941
  • Bill.jpg
    Bill.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 941
  • Dave.jpg
    Dave.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 951
  • Chris.jpg
    Chris.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 994

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Trail Leaders and gunners did a great Job. Poison Spider by Steve Crase and Timm B

And Metal Masher by Timm B and Bruce L
First pic Rachel doing the wedge, next is me on Poison Spider

A pic of two 80s going up a ledge on Metal Masher
Sarah going down a ledge

Two great days

It got interesting for a few minutes on Fins. Between Kenny's climb and the next steep climb it poured quite a bit. A member of the back group couldn't get up the next climb and it was raining hard so we took that half of the group and re-routed to get the two groups linked back up. Fortunately, I was up high and could see a trail that worked and Rachel and Sarah were still down and directed the rest of the group that way.

Attachments

• MM1.jpg
    MM1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 941
  • MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 934
  • Ps2.jpg
    Ps2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 940
  • PS-1.jpg
    PS-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 934
  • Fins.jpg
    Fins.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
wow... 80-85 there and back, AC on the trail, cup holders, a bed, no cotton. I've entered a new dimension

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few more

FJBrady on Fins Saturday

A couple shots from Catacomb rock just off of the Chicken corners trail we did with Matt Farr

A nice Red mini truck owned by a local kid named Hunter.

Ige contenplating the meaning of life during a lunch break on Poison Spider

Attachments

• Brady.jpg
    Brady.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 927
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 930
  • Cat.jpg
    Cat.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 984
  • ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 923
  • Ige.jpg
    Ige.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 916
Liverust,

Hey thanks for the pic of my 60!! That trail was great, it was the highlight of the trip for me!!

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
much better thank you

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Wow, that was a memorable trip. The runner is beat up some more but still drives straight down the highway. :) I was happy I escaped any breakage based on all the breakage I saw on the same obstacles I was taking.

Running Golden Spike yesterday with Jeremiah Profit leading was a long eventful run that I will never forget. What a trail! I loved it. I really regret having 0 pictures or video of the Spike run. My camera is broken now and I couldn’t find my second camcorder battery. Sorry, You just have to use your imagination.:mad:

We had about a dozen rigs. Jeremiah was always on top of the situations quickly and had solutions in progress. Everyone was built pretty big. As usual I was the only one on 33’s and no front locker.

Todd with the White Trash of the Elwood chapter in his 40 rolled over 1.5 times right in front of me as he was trying a un-named hard double whammy type obstacle near the beginning of the spike. He was really going at and been denied. He hit it again and bounced sideways in a big way. The recovery effort became dangerous suddenly as everyone was in a hurry. My winch was attached on the uphill side to prevent another roll as the 40 flopped back over. Fortunately I wasn’t standing in front of my runner as it was drug forward as the 40 flopped back over. I was reeling out my winch as fast as I could at the time but didn’t have enough slack in the line when they winched him over.

A very intense rain followed which sent people into my runner for protection. Poor Todd was still a bit shaken but he was a tough guy and had a good attitude.

A Profit built 2nd gen truck with a custom 80 suspension tore up his front drive shaft and had to be strapped out in 2wd near the double whammy play area.

Battery issues plagued the same guy that rolled his rig on the Moab Rim with me the day prior. His acid had drained out evidentially.

Pac in his FJ Cruiser on 35’s and a front locker was making it through all the tough obstacles but was driving them way too hard. He was on a mission. I didn’t realize this until later since he was so mellow on our Behind the Rocks run on Thursday. Jeremiah’s radio was now worthless for some reason so communication was a bit more tricky. My radios were working well and I was making periodic contact with Greg and Neil to keep them posted which was cool. We managed to get everyone up the Golden Stairs and it was looking like smooth sailing downward. Not. The other White Trash boy destroyed a drive shaft on a hard optional obstacle but had a spare on within 15 minutes. Pac in the FJ made it up this spot somehow as well as Jeremiah of course.

I ran in the middle of the group trying to keep the beginning and crippled end together. It looked like we were about out then Pac’s FJ hit another optional obstacle. His FJ had had enough and he ripped out his custom front tie rod. I was glad it wasn’t a CV. We sent our gunner Ray on with the rest of the anxious group. Jeremiah and I stayed with Pac until we were able to complete a trail fix. The Elwood Chapter boys stayed and helped as well. They were quite prepared and never left a man on the trail. They managed to use a hack saw to fix the threads and get it back together to limp out. All these guys had serious wrenching skills. I tried to stay out of their way and run support functions.

We made it down to the highway at dark. I promptly checked in with the trail boss who promised he had an iced down brew waiting for me. That was nice - thanks Greg. :cheers: I was eager to “debrief” the day to anyone that wanted to listen. Matt invited me to a late dinner with all of them also which was nice. Good folks, goods times and a great event.

I’ll be back, but of course I will do a few things differently based on my 4 full days of good hard wheelin’ at Cruise Moab.:thumb:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Pictures uploading now, although "Live" is not longer the case....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok I'll toss up a quick few... first the group on Wipeout Hill yesterday driving up to the first overlook. Then our lunchtime cookout (how many RS members can you name? :D) man that was a fun run.

Finally, Gavin in the car this morning acting exactly how I feel..

Attachments

• gavin_done.JPG
    gavin_done.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 891
  • wipeout_lunch.JPG
    wipeout_lunch.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 896
  • wipeout.JPG
    wipeout.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 906

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Guess who's hungry in this picture :)

moab2009137.jpg

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
We should start a carnage list...

I had a premonition about having issues, but also about being able to get through it. In fact, on a hunch I brought out my electrical tools which turned out to be prescient.

Carnage:
*Broken short leaf, front, discovered just prior to departure. Quick work arrangements, an understanding boss, and excellent service from Alcan, fixed.

*EFI fuse popped at 0130 west of Eagle on Friday morning. Managed to get a 20A fuse to hold to get me to Alcan in Da Junk. Suspected the fuel pump so my wife picked one up to bring out later (replaces one with 203K miles, probably a good idea anyway). Finally died - hard - west of Fruita Corbet-style on the side of the road. After I found it, I clipped out the melted O2 harness whilst cars went whizzing past and limped into Moab, spent a day or so building a new harness in camp and installing. Fixed. Permanently. No ECM damage, Marlin says I am lucky.

*Dented head on rock on the Swell. Field repaired, then sutured in Castle Dale, UT. Just another opportunity to knock some sense into myself. Fixed.

*Clunk when wheeling let me to look at drag link ends. Some play, replaced with trail spares. Clunk remained. After San Rafael Swell, I had that premonition thing again which kept me from doing the backcountry return route. I had a mental picture of a frame crack out of the blue, and on a hunch I climbed under and found a crack in the frame (the usual place for minis converted to high steer). Moab 4x4 Outpost fixed inexpensively, plated to fix permanently, in about 45 minutes. Great folks.

*Led Cliffhanger without major event, and on the way back to camp heard what sounded like a dinged disk from my driveline ebrake. Justin said it was my diff. Call it denial, I preferred the ebrake explanation. He nailed it... right before the lunch spot my rear pinion let go.

Got a field workaround and a cold group shower (clothes on, thank you) and blow dry all in one, with some of my newest close friends. Rock Dog had a spare diff in camp, enabling me to get home (and try out 4.88s as well - I like!). I should be able to make someone a sweet deal on a good used reverse rotation (high pinion) ring and pinion set in 5.29s soon (set up by Marlin). :hill: An even better deal on a well-used and distressed V6 ring and pinion set (set up by High Country 4x4) for wall decoration...

*Made it home in time to discover a slight and growing exhaust leak at the downtube/collector junction. Again. Gonna hafta reengineer that. The spare tire carrier also has a crack in the heat affected zone of a weld I did... gonna hafta brace that.

Expensive? Yeah.

Memorable times? Priceless.

:risingsun

Liverust,

Hey thanks for the pic of my 60!! That trail was great, it was the highlight of the trip for me!!

here are a few more of your rig. Glad you had a good time.

Attachments

• IMG_1466 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1466 (Small).JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_1467 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1467 (Small).JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_1469 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1469 (Small).JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 838
  • IMG_1470 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1470 (Small).JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 839

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Lots to write about and many fotos to post but will settle, for now, with saying what a great time we had at Cruise Moab '09, on the road to and from CM with our Ohio friends Bill and Jonda and winding down in Glenwood Springs on Saturday and Sunday. Today, the latest Toyota Trails arrived in the mail so I'm feeling doubly lucky. Ricardo's Rising Sun Chapter Report's lead paragraph brought smiles to our faces and we thank you, Ricardo, for your fitting description of the Phil Simmons award and congrats, again, to Bill Morgan for being recognized so aptly for his efforts on Rising Sun's and all off-roaders' behalf. And then, turning to the last page and seeing one of Suzie's pictures presented as the Trails End shows me that, heck, we aren't lucky, we are blessed! To say that Toyotas have positively impacted our lives is an understatement. Thanks, Rising Sun, for being a big part of that blessing.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Oh snap! :hill:

Attachments

• DSCF8210.jpg
    DSCF8210.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 808
  • DSCF8153.jpg
    DSCF8153.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 889
  • DSCF8106.jpg
    DSCF8106.jpg