Live from Cruise Moab

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Let's not forget the carnage to the 18's.... :p:

The Urban Runner did exceptionally well for all the reasons previously mentioned. Excellent work by the Morgan clan.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We need a "Best Attitude Despite All Odds" award for CM10...I'm thinking Red Chili would have won it hands down this year :thumb:

I second that! Also remember that he finished wipe out hill - the hardest climbs (ok, with some strapping) and descended the obstacle with front wheel drive. He had the choice to bail, we all agreed that we were well within safety margin to finish, and he did.

Also, he had given Squishy all his tools not 20 minutes before he broke!

Also there was huge thunderstorm as he field-swapped hubs and pulled the rear driveshaft.

AND one more also, in the middle of all that I was admiring his tire carrier when he noticed a cracked weld and I innocently asked "who welded it" (of course, he had).

Yes, I'd say GREAT attitude.

Trapper50cal

Trail Ready
Just got a disk from a buddy driving behind me...

dscn3792.jpg

By trapper50cal, shot with E7600 at 2009-05-06

dscn3670q.jpg

dscn3661.jpg

dscn3617.jpg

My buddy Steve, almost up the wall...
dscn3640.jpg

My buddy John, in the wedgy...
dscn3467.jpg

Johns little girl, Aspen...tuckered from heavy reading
dscn3564.jpg

John, Corbet and Porter
dscn3522.jpg

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
A few from EHill on Saturday. Big Fun and thanks to all.

Attachments

• IMG_3716_001.jpg
    IMG_3716_001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC_0818_small.JPG
    DSC_0818_small.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 848
  • DSC_0843.JPG
    DSC_0843.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 837
  • DSC_0853.JPG
    DSC_0853.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 825
  • DSC_0854.JPG
    DSC_0854.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 836

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
A few from Moab

Hells Revenge
moab2009085.jpg

Hells Revenge
moab2009092.jpg

Cliffhanger
moab2009124.jpg

Cliffhanger
moab2009127.jpg

Last edited:

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Let's not forget the carnage to the 18's.... :p:

Actually double checked when i got home and the tiny bit of carnage was done before Clifhanger, so no extra carnage to the BLING baby! :p: :p: :D:beer:

Got any more of those Clifhanger pictures?

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
And for any of you that had Joel from 4wd Toyota Owner ride along on your run, he has posted up his pictures

http://www.moranton.com/

Click Galleries and then page down to the bottom. He's got some good pictures of Wipeout Hill on Saturday, including that near miss from the light blue FJ40.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Actually double checked when i got home and the tiny bit of carnage was done before Clifhanger, so no extra carnage to the BLING baby! :p: :p: :D:beer:

Got any more of those Clifhanger pictures?

Sweet! My picture taking was pretty lax all weekend, probably because I spent most of my time wrangling the boy.

This is the only one I've got:

moab2009123.jpg

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
And for any of you that had Joel from 4wd Toyota Owner ride along on your run, he has posted up his pictures

http://www.moranton.com/

Click Galleries and then page down to the bottom. He's got some good pictures of Wipeout Hill on Saturday, including that near miss from the light blue FJ40.

Thanks for posting that up :thumb:

Awesome sequence shots of Randy!! I won't post any up in case he wants to submit some :D...Brings chills seeing that again

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for posting that up :thumb:

Awesome sequence shots of Randy!! I won't post any up in case he wants to submit some :D...Brings chills seeing that again

Go ahead and post up shots if you have them! :thumb: Dee :Princess: said she was starting to take pictures until the wheels started to lift, then she just stood there and did the "silent scream" thing so we have no photos of it in our camera. :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Go ahead and post up shots if you have them! :thumb: Dee :Princess: said she was starting to take pictures until the wheels started to lift, then she just stood there and did the "silent scream" thing so we have no photos of it in our camera. :hill:

All I got is the video but I was going to file save-as some of the pics on the linked site and post them...But, I'm sure they are copyright protected now that I think about it :rolleyes:...Guess you'd have to ask Joel's permission and have him send you the pics...

His gallery is pretty cool with the shot sequencing and if you forward through the pics quickly it is almost like watching a video :) - Your shot sequence tells a pretty good tale. And, if you don't like the line you took you can click backwards and try it again :lmao:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Good Lord! Randy, that's some scary stuff! Picture 138 is scary. Glad you settled back down.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Good Lord! Randy, that's some scary stuff! Picture 138 is scary. Glad you settled back down.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but that was not appropriate in my opinion. :(

longer wheelbase rigs have flipped end-over-end going DOWN that line. Even though double locked 80's and mini's can walk that going up, I think trying that in a tall short 40 should have been advised against. and then to drag him up on a strap? why?

Booo :(

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Why? Perhaps because he didn't mind pushing it to the edge and he was set on making that line. I saw a lot of that on the difficult runs. And some flipped over. Which didn't really seem to ruin they're day. They can just keep wheelin. Amazing.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Why? Perhaps because he didn't mind pushing it to the edge and he was set on making that line. I saw a lot of that on the difficult runs. And some flipped over. Which didn't really seem to ruin they're day. They can just keep wheelin. Amazing.

I guess I draw the line on intentionally wrecking my junk. :rolleyes:

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Made me look:eek:

I bet Dee was a bit excited.

She actually handled it fairly well, remember she put up with me being a cop for many years. I used to come home banged up on a fairly regular basis. Believe it or not, she was the one who wanted me to drive back up so she could get shots of me coming down the hill! She missed it the first time since she was on a nature break when I went down. Afterwards she did say "dont ever listen to me again"

Martin - I appreciate and understand your concern. Keep in mind that I have wheeled various rigs all over the world for 30+ years and this was not the first wheel stand I had to ride down or the hairiest predicament I had to get out of. Thats how I knew to let off the brakes when I felt it starting to go over. That said, always feel free to voice your opinion as I do value the experience of others and have been known on occassion to actually take that advice.:D Unfortunately, more often than not I usually dont listen and go ahead and do something I regret later :hill:

To be perfectly clear, it was my decision alone to attempt the climb. If it was a dumb thing to do it was my choice alone to do it.

For me, I can't understand the full capabilities of the vehicle unless I push it to the edge. Honestly, I didnt expect to make it all the way up the climb but I needed to know how far I could make it. I now have a much better idea of what I would be willing to attempt in my 40. I wont try anything even close to that challenging in the future just for fun. But, if for some reason I am faced with a serious situation where I have no choice but to go up an obstacle like that, I know I'll throw a strap and probably a winch line on it.

As far as the strap, Tim and the others insisted on that for my safety and their peace of mind when I wanted to attempt climbing the left line after the right line (wheel stand side) failed. Unfortunately I am one of those "get back on the horse immediately once you fall off of it" types. I also knew I probably wasnt going to make that climb either. In the end, I made it about halfway up and gave up in a good spot. The strap was never needed and the only drama was Tim working very hard to get me past one spot without scraping the rear quarter panel up.

I have put a lot of hard work into getting the old mule up and running, to make it a capable trail rig, and I try very hard to not abuse it or break it needlessly. On the other hand, it's not a restored collector vehicle I want to putt around in just for others to see. I built it to wheel with and I expect there to be some nicks and dings eventually. Thats why I painted it with rattle cans and carry one with me at all times for fast body work!:thumb:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I personally wouldn't want to spot someone up that line with that rig. That said... you handled it extremely well! Mad skilz for sure. :bowdown:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I regretted not doing the strap on the first climb. Thought about it, but then figured it would be ok... wow I feel fortunate to learn that lesson the easy way. The problem was the approach.. you were lined up perfect but all the little ledges on the way to the climb kept shifting you further down the hill, so by the time you were at the climb you were lined up to the steepest spot- had you done it more to your left I bet you could have made it. We'll try again next year, with the strap :)

And getting out of that pickle on the other side was tough- you were literally between a rock and a hard place! I appreciated your patience and willingness to stay cool while we wiggled you out of that.. was not a great situation but you did well by not making it worse, which it easily could have gotten. I was real relieved you were able to roll away from both attempts, on your tires. :eek: