Live from Cruise Moab

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hey Jeff. I'd like to get a copy of my video if possible. Whatever is easiest for you to snip and save it - I'll take it. :beer:

PS - His name is Sam.:)

I'll upload it to the server and send you a link when it is there...Upload is sloooow :eek: - about 30 mins for Randy's video :eek:. I have almost 10GBs of video that I shot :rolleyes:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
Agreed! and it's 185 pounds, by the way.. :rolleyes: :D
:lmao:btw, you just helped make my point. You're not very heavy ballast or counter weight. :lmao: What does an ARB bumper/winch weigh?

The comments today were helpful for my understanding. No need to continue to hash it out. I wasn't intending to ridicule anyone, just hopefully prevent a tragedy in the future. My personal experience says: trust your safety gear. Keep people out of harm's way.

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
A bunch of times having Neil or Bruce putting some weight on a slider or bumper just helped my truck keep under control on the Rubicon. So, yeah, sometimes a pull or push is all it takes. But seeing someone standing on a slider or something, that's no good.
When I 'wheel I have a strap locked into my 4000# shackle so it's handy for a spotter to grab if needed. Gives the spotter/now savior a safety margin while hooking the loose end to an anchor point.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
I've watched the video through about 50 times now and it's pretty apparent what went wrong: As my front wheels cross the 2nd small ledge it bounces the rig quite a bit to the passenger side moving me quite a bit off the proper line. Instead of coming over the steep crest square with both wheels, I came over it on angle. That caused the drivers side wheel to lift, unloaded the pass side and then it started bouncing.............backwards :eek:

The other thing I can see now, maybe you experienced crawlers can confirm this, but it looks like I should have nailed the throttle for an instant then let off quickly just before hitting the crest of the hill. I tried to steady crawl it the whole way. Bumping it at the right moment may have given me that little momentum boost to get the front end up and over to grab traction.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I am a big fan of the bump-and-roll-through-it technique. Most tend to bump-and-let-off-too-early-and-kill-it (in a very spooky moment), or BUMP-and-lift... takes practice to finesse it. I seem to recall my own BUMP-and-lift on the Fins prerun. At least I remember a couple pairs of eyeballs as they watched.

Sometimes crawling it is the least safe, counterintuitively. Not often, but sometimes.

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+
Well, once you get all of your wheels back under you I'll have to have you give me a few lessons and tips.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
A few observations:

1. By the time anyone grabbed your bumper, you were out of danger. A strap on your bumper certainly would have done more than the "somebody grab it" shout. Nobody saved you from flipping except Lady Luck and your own calm demeanor.

2. Bumping it might have helped, but it also could have flipped you over completely. Too much throttle has its risks. Have you seen this video?

3. Once you start to bounce, back off the throttle immediately. That's how a person does real damage to their truck. I think you attempted to keep going too long. Had you backed off after the first bounce, you could have lined up again and driven it clean the second time. There's no reason to force it through, especially on the first try.

4. I'm amazed that we have such great photos and video of this incident. Great learning opportunity for us all.

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
Can someone send me a link to this i can not get it to open..

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
2. Bumping it might have helped, but it also could have flipped you over completely. Too much throttle has its risks. Have you seen this video?
THAT was NOT a bump!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
The whole point being, a bump builds inertia so you can back off when hitting the lip and let inertia carry you over, keeping the front end down.

I think that boy had the popular Jeep aftermarket on/off throttle mod! :lmao:

In that particular case, crawling *might* have done the trick... but I rather doubt that driver has done much crawling... Not sure that was a legal obstacle.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
You need to right click save as" It's a very large file.

x2 - It would probably take 30-45 mins for it to show up in the player if you just click on the link, making it look like it isn't opening.

I need to look into how to compress video maybe :)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Pulled into Slickrock about 3pm on Wednesday...Backed the popup camper into place and the :Princess: asked if the camper's tire was supposed to look like that? Huh? I look and dang if there isn't a 12"+ section of tread missing from the tire :eek: Not sure when it came off and I never felt a thing but we were counting our blessings it didn't blow coming down a hill etc.

Houston, I think we have a problem :rolleyes:...Note to self, check the trailer tires regularly :eek:

Attachments

• Tire Pic 1.JPG
    Tire Pic 1.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 615

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
x2 - It would probably take 30-45 mins for it to show up in the player if you just click on the link, making it look like it isn't opening.

I need to look into how to compress video maybe :)

Post it to YouTube and let them compress it. Then you also have a quick loading link

bigbluefj

Honorary Canuck Member
the question i have is what was the air pressure in the tire's and it look like the speed of the truck was a bit fast or is it me just seeing thing's?? it's been awhile sense i've wheeled on rock

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
the question i have is what was the air pressure in the tire's and it look like the speed of the truck was a bit fast or is it me just seeing thing's?? it's been awhile sense i've wheeled on rock

Generally in Moab a little more tire pressure is better. If you can find the sweet spot of maximum traction with just a tad bit of spin you are golden. Too low of pressure/too much traction and you will hop.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

OK folks, I don't wanna hear no more grief EVER about how I was balancing that BJ in '05 on Steelbender... that led to the helicopter ride... EEK :eek:.

You guys took a MUCH bigger chance of a slip and injury than I did.

Scary from that angle for SURE.

(Of course, I think I have demonstrated that I am fully capable of injuring myself with or without a 4x4, requiring only a shoelace... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:)

Air Randy

Hard Core 4+

I was running 8-9 PSI in the beadlocks. I have an Orion 4 to 1 TC and was in low range 1st gear when I went up the hill. I was only doing about 2,000 rpm so I couldnt have been going too fast.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
the thing i have noticed about underdrives or aux t-cases, is that you kinda lose the ability to control the engine braking. when you let off the throttle, you are still on for a while, unlike higher ratios.. or at least that's how it seems..