Ham and 2-Way Craigslist Thread

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
MFJ-259B SWR Antenna Analyzer - $200 (SE Denver)

MFJ-259B gives you a complete pictures of your antennas performance. You can read antenna SWR and Complex Impedance 1.8 to 170MHz
Read Complex Impedance as series resistance and reactance (R+jX) or as magnitude (Z) and phase (degrees). You can determine velocity factor, coax cable loss in dB, length of coax and distance to a short or open in feet. You can read SWR, return loss and reflection coefficient at any frequency simultaneously at a single glance. Also read inductance in UH and capacitance in pF at RF frequencies. Large easy-to-read two line LCD screen and side-by-side meters clearly display your information. Built-in frequency counter, Ni-Cad charger circuit, battery saver, low battery warning and smooth re-duction drive tuning and much more.
Super easy to use! Just set the bandswitch and tune the dial -- just like you transceiver. SWR and Complex Impedance are displayed instantly!

Heres what you can do
Find your antennas true resonant frequency. Trim dipoles and verticals.
Adjust your Yagi, quad, loop and other antennas, change antenna spacing and height and watch SWR, resistance and reactance change instantly. Youll know exactly what to do by simply watching the display. Perfectly tune critical HF mobile antennas in seconds for super DX -- without subjecting your transceiver to high SWR. Measure your antennas 2:1 SWR bandwidth on one band, or analyze multiband performance from 1.8 to 170Mhz! Check SWR outside the ham bands without violating FCC rules. Take the guesswork out of building and adjusting matching networks and baluns. Measure distance in feet to a short or open in faulty coax. Measure length of a roll of coax, coax loss, velocity factor, impedance. Measure inductance and capacitance. measure resonant frequency and approximate Q of traps, stubs, transmission lines, RF chokes, tuned circuits and baluns. Adjust your antenna tuner for a perfect 1:1 match without creating QRM. And this is only the beginning! the MFJ-259B is a complete ham radio test station including -- frequency counter, RF signal generator, SWR Analyzer, RF resistance and Reactance Analyzer, Coax Analyzer, Capacitance and Inductance Meter and more!

$200, meet up near SE Denver or Denver metro area. Cash only. First come, first serve. Unit was tested and includes batteries.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
MFJ-259B

Same as Dave posted, now down in price.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I dig it, I shot the person an email.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok here's a silly question, but if it doesn't do CTCSS does that mean no repeaters? simplex only?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Ok here's a silly question, but if it doesn't do CTCSS does that mean no repeaters? simplex only?
If it does not do CTCSS, then yup. Some repeaters don't need CTCSS, but anymore that's pretty rare in the city.

Back when radios did not have tones or had optional tone boards, most repeaters did not use subtones because the spectrum was a lot less polluted. That was before cell phones, pagers, WiFi, plasma TVs, cordless phones, microwave ovens, microprocessor everywhere. It's all that stuff (mostly pagers) that prompted Motorola and GE to develop subtones for their commercial radios back in the 1970s and 1980s and it wasn't until the 1990s that ham repeaters really mushroomed with the use of tones, which is paralleled in the used VHF/UHF radios you see.

It's possible to add subtones outside the radio, several kits exist to do this. It's literally just a barely audible low frequency tone added to your signal, it's not really that exotic.

http://www.vk2bv.org/w_ctcss.htm
http://www.hamtronics.com/td5.htm

An experiment would be to record a tone and play it in the background when you talk. It would probably open the repeater if your mic was sensitive enough to such low frequencies (they probably aren't).

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I was gonna ask the seller about that.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well for $50 and a cool radio, I'm not sure that's a big turn-off.. yes repeaters are wonderful but you could always attach the HT into your better mobile antenna if you really need one. The rest of the time enjoy the bliss of clear, local, 2m communication.. we're on simplex most of the time anyway.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd worried about the freebanding. The statement that it was done 'professionally' implies that it was modified via soldering iron. These radios supported MARS/CAP software configurations and so there is no reason to do this inside by removing resistors.

Not to harp that it's illegal, but freebanding HTs is mostly done to allow them to talk on FRS and most ham antennas have too narrow bandwidth for this. It's not hard at all to harm your radio TX'ing at FRS frequencies with a 70cm ham antenna. Being that it is 100% against the rules to use removable antennas on FRS radios of any type (even legal ones must have fixed antennas), there exists no commercial options that allow this safely...

Yaesu VX-5R HT ham radio - triple-bander - $150 (Denver)

Yaesu VX-5R Triple-band Heavy Duty FM Transceiver 50/144/430 Mhz
This is a nice radio in mint condition w/ all original packaging, manuals etc.
- less than 20 hours of actual use!
- Receives on the followings bands: Weather band, AM air-traffic control, AM radio, FM Radio, BC band, SW band, TV bands VHF & UHF, 50 Mhz ham, 144 Mhz ham, 430 Mhz ham band, Action Band 1 (222 – 420 Mhz) Action Band 2 (800 – 999Mhz).
- It’s a small, light-weight, fully programmable, 5W output hand-talkie (HT) ham radio that does it all!

-Rugged Diecast Aluminum Construction
-Full 5W PerformanceTribander
-High-Capacity, High-Power Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
-Extensive Battery Conservation Features
-Wide-band receiver
-Smart Search
-Versatile Scanning Options
-Dot Matrix LCD
-ARTS
-Extensive Memory System with Alphanumeric Labels
-CTCSS and DCS Encoder/Decoders
-Satellite Operation
-Automatic Repeater Shift
-Computer Interface
-Busy Channel Lock Out
- Professionally modified for “Freeband” operation, radio has been unlocked to allow for out-of-band transmission

call or text Rick - 303-842-5084

rover67

Rising Sun Member
So it seems like using something out of band would be a really bad Idea.... I am assuming these folks don't announce their call signs?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So it seems like using something out of band would be a really bad Idea.... I am assuming these folks don't announce their call signs?
Remember the rules, that equipment for ham is not allowed use outside of ham bands. The term is 'type approved' and is the case for all types, FCC Part 97 defines amateur service, Part 95 defines personal communication (CB, FRS, etc), Part 87 is aviation, Part 90 business radios, Part 80 maritime radios.

Each service has defining rules. For example freebanded HTs used for FRS violate Part 95 rules on at least two points. A legal FRS unit cannot have been modified from its original factory configuration and it cannot have a detachable antenna.

Ham is unique in that radios for all the other services can be 100% legally modified and used for amateur service. This the /only/ service that allows doing this and if you want to go the other way you have to either be an OEM radio company or hold a GROL for the FCC to recognize your authority to approve or re-approve the radio for the non-Part 97 use again. In some cases it is /never/ possible to get the ham-used gear back for its original type. FRS is one case that AFAIK once the factory seal is broken the radio can never be used for FRS in the future.

Yes, I would think using your call sign doing something against the FCC rules would be unwise. Which, BTW, is a good point. When you are doing other services, the requirements for ham don't necessarily apply. Like using your ham call sign is not necessary and actually discouraged on CB. Also just because you are ham doesn't mean you can apply those rules to other services. Like you are still limited to 4W carrier on CB on 11m regardless that you can use 1,500W when operating as a general on your HF rig at 10m or 12m on either side of CB.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Might be a little beat up, hard to tell in the photo. But the IC-2800 is a pretty cool radio.

ICOM IC-2800 2M/70CM Dual Band Amateur Radio - $250 (Briargate)

Up for sale is an ICOM IC-2800 Dual Band Mobile Radio. This radio is moderately used, but in perfect working order. The radio operates on both the 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter bands. I originally intended to use it in my car, but went with a 2M only radio instead. I use this radio for EmComm only, and feel Ican let it go, as I have others that will work for my needs.

The radio also comes with an Anderson PowerPole connector on it, for those of you that may be ARES or RACES members.

I will not accept checks, credit cards, or cashiers checks, nor will I ship the item. This is a Cash Only, Local Pickup Only item.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Dave, what does this mean:

"People complain about not being able to do V/V or U/U, which is not a priority to me."

Might be a little beat up, hard to tell in the photo. But the IC-2800 is a pretty cool radio.

ICOM IC-2800 2M/70CM Dual Band Amateur Radio - $250 (Briargate)

Up for sale is an ICOM IC-2800 Dual Band Mobile Radio. This radio is moderately used, but in perfect working order. The radio operates on both the 2 Meter and 70 Centimeter bands. I originally intended to use it in my car, but went with a 2M only radio instead. I use this radio for EmComm only, and feel Ican let it go, as I have others that will work for my needs.

The radio also comes with an Anderson PowerPole connector on it, for those of you that may be ARES or RACES members.

I will not accept checks, credit cards, or cashiers checks, nor will I ship the item. This is a Cash Only, Local Pickup Only item.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Dave, what does this mean:

"People complain about not being able to do V/V or U/U, which is not a priority to me."

Hey I think I know that answer... it means you can't rock out to two VHF frequencies at the same time, or two UHF frequencies.. has to be one of each. That would be a deal killer for me, I'm always on 2 2m channels (VHF) on the 8800, usually one repeater one simplex, but in Moab two simplex. If that were the case with the Icom, I'd pass..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/1153spec.html