Ham and 2-Way Craigslist Thread

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Hey I think I know that answer... it means you can't rock out to two VHF frequencies at the same time, or two UHF frequencies.. has to be one of each. That would be a deal killer for me, I'm always on 2 2m channels (VHF) on the 8800, usually one repeater one simplex, but in Moab two simplex. If that were the case with the Icom, I'd pass..

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/1153spec.html
I dunno about it being a deal breaker, but you are correct that the IC-2800H is not dual band, dual tune in the same way as a FT-8800. It is like a FT-7800 that allows you to see and use both VHF and UHF at the same time. It's literally two radios, one is a 2m and the other a 70cm, in a single case. This limitation is probably why the IC-2800 was replaced very soon after with the IC-2820, which does V/V (and is $600).

Compared to a single VFO, dual band radio like a FT-7900 the display is /much/ nicer. And since it has this ugly duckling reputation (ICOM only sold it for a year or two) I'm willing to bet he'd take less than $250, which when you think about it isn't a bad price. A new FT-7900 is $275, a new TM-V71 is $350, IC-208 is $350. These are all 2m and 70cm radios, but you can only select one band OR the other for display and TX. So even if you never, ever use the 70cm side it's still potentially cheaper, but at least you could hear FRS without impacting the main VHF side, something that the FT-7900 et al could not do.

FWIW, many repeaters here in Denver have both a 2m and a 70cm input option...

As comparison, the cheapest way to do dual VFO, dual band is the DR-635 at $400, the FT-8800 is at $425, the TM-D710 is $550. I guess you have to decide if you really need V/V and if so, then the IC-2800 does not work. Otherwise, if you are looking for a dual band radio but don't need the dual flexible VFO (it does have two VFOs, just that they are not both VHF and UHF capable), then this might be among the best ever offered.

EDIT: Here's a used dual band V/V radio, which is $125 higher asking than the Icom. It also has the TNC for APRS built-in.

Kenwood TM-D700A dual band ham radio - $375 (Franktown)

Last edited:

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
Keep your eyes on the Indianapolis CL, (Cincinnati also). I work in Indy Mon-Thur every week...would be happy to check stuff out, or pick it up and deliver it...

rover67

Rising Sun Member
2-METER VHF AMATEUR RADIO - $150 (BRIGHTON, CO)

HAVE RARELY USED 2-METER, ICON IC-V8000 RADIO, WILL SALE FOR $150.00 DOLLARS OR TRADE FOR SOME THING OF EQUAL VALUE, I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER IDENTICAL RADIO WILL CONSIDER SALE OR TRADING.
303-835-52

That's the rig I've been running for a few years now. I have liked it a lot.

Chris Davis also has it.

Not a bad deal for a nice solid 75W 2-M radio..

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Not CL but...

I was at Ham Radio Outlet today and they have a used Yaesu VX-7R in the original box for $214.

I almost snagged it, but I opted for a new FT-2900R and a big 2M antenna instead. :)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work Martin..... I'm jealous of the new HAM gear.

A new FT-7900 is $275, a new TM-V71 is $350, IC-208 is $350. These are all 2m and 70cm radios, but you can only select one band OR the other for display and TX. So even if you never, ever use the 70cm side it's still potentially cheaper, but at least you could hear FRS without impacting the main VHF side, something that the FT-7900 et al could not do.

FWIW, many repeaters here in Denver have both a 2m and a 70cm input option...

As comparison, the cheapest way to do dual VFO, dual band is the DR-635 at $400, the FT-8800 is at $425, the TM-D710 is $550. I guess you have to decide if you really need V/V and if so, then the IC-2800 does not work. Otherwise, if you are looking for a dual band radio but don't need the dual flexible VFO (it does have two VFOs, just that they are not both VHF and UHF capable), then this might be among the best ever offered.

EDIT: Here's a used dual band V/V radio, which is $125 higher asking than the Icom. It also has the TNC for APRS built-in.

Kenwood TM-D700A dual band ham radio - $375 (Franktown)

The TM-V71A and TM-D710 are the same radio with different displays. You can buy the RC-D710 head and convert a TM-V71A into a TM-D710. That said, the TM-V71A is still capable of VHF/VHF, VHF/UHF, or UHF/UHF simultaneously. It will also do cross band repeat from VFO-A to VFO-B when they're on different bands. The only thing you gain with the D710 is the TNC in the head to do APRS really easily.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The TM-V71A and TM-D710 are the same radio with different displays. You can buy the RC-D710 head and convert a TM-V71A into a TM-D710. That said, the TM-V71A is still capable of VHF/VHF, VHF/UHF, or UHF/UHF simultaneously. It will also do cross band repeat from VFO-A to VFO-B when they're on different bands. The only thing you gain with the D710 is the TNC in the head to do APRS really easily.
You are correct, that is my mistake. The TM-V71A is a dual band, dual VFO like the FT-8800.

What I don't see is how there is a market for the RC-D710.

TM-D710A is $550
TM-V71A is $375
RC-D710 is $350

So it costs $175 more to adapt a TM-V71A using the RC-D710 than to just buy a TM-D710. If you did already have a TM-V71, it would be much cheaper to just TinyTrak which gets you the TNC as well as the GPS for $130.

You are correct, that is my mistake. The TM-V71A is a dual band, dual VFO like the FT-8800.

What I don't see is how there is a market for the RC-D710.

TM-D710A is $550
TM-V71A is $375
RC-D710 is $350

So it costs $175 more to adapt a TM-V71A using the RC-D710 than to just buy a TM-D710. If you did already have a TM-V71, it would be much cheaper to just TinyTrak which gets you the TNC as well as the GPS for $130.

Yeah. I'm not really sure what Kenwood was thinking on that one... :dunno:

I really like the display on the 710, but that's not nearly enough reason to make me want to shell out $350 to convert my 71. Not to mention it wouldn't fit where I have the head mounted at the moment.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Save yourself about $300 over the best Internet prices, not a bad deal at all for a pretty nice radio. Does 100W over 160m to 6m, has an internal 3:1 tuner (which is sufficient to get most cut dipoles and Hamsticks to cover a whole band without retuning), supports internal control of the FC-40 external coupler for 12:1 matching up to 600 ohms on random length antennas, 32-bit IF DSP, really a leading edge mid market rig with a very good receiver. You would be hard pressed IMVHO to find a better radio for a grand.

HAM radio: Yaesu FT-950 HF+6m xcvr - $1075 (Colorado Springs)

bought new summer 2009. still absolutely like new. low mileage. never contested or ridden hard. with original box and everything that came in it. save yourself some money: $1075 firm. no tire-kicking, OK? and, please include your callsign. -Mark K0EX 719.216.4188 (downtown COS).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Another very good middle of the road radio, although roughly a generation old now. At the time when it was new, this was probably a $3,000 radio. Does have 16-bit IF DSP. There is one of these for sale over at HRO right now, too, I think. The current crop of $1,000~$2,000 rigs don't significantly outperform it. The balun is a nice extra, a $30 spool of 14AWG THHN from Home Depot and a length of coax and you're on the air.

HAM RADIO: Kenwood TS-570S + Balun - $800 (Golden, CO)

Kenwood TS-570S All Mode Multi-Bander

-In EXCELLENT condition; like-new, barely used
-Includes mic, accessories, instruction manual, and cables
-Also comes with a brand-new, unopened WireMan Balun

***All of this for only $800 (or your best offer). MUST SELL~ college student graduating and moving very soon.
***Please call Lisa @ (970) 260-1460 for more info if you're interested
73's, KC0LRH

Visit the Kenwood site for more details: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts570dg570sg.html

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Another very good middle of the road radio, although roughly a generation old now. At the time when it was new, this was probably a $3,000 radio. Does have 16-bit IF DSP. There is one of these for sale over at HRO right now, too, I think. The current crop of $1,000~$2,000 rigs don't significantly outperform it. The balun is a nice extra, a $30 spool of 14AWG THHN from Home Depot and a length of coax and you're on the air.

HAM RADIO: Kenwood TS-570S + Balun - $800 (Golden, CO)

Kenwood TS-570S All Mode Multi-Bander

-In EXCELLENT condition; like-new, barely used
-Includes mic, accessories, instruction manual, and cables
-Also comes with a brand-new, unopened WireMan Balun

***All of this for only $800 (or your best offer). MUST SELL~ college student graduating and moving very soon.
***Please call Lisa @ (970) 260-1460 for more info if you're interested
73's, KC0LRH

Visit the Kenwood site for more details: http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/ts570dg570sg.html

She dropped the price to $700 already.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I contacted this fella and he still had it as of this afternoon. I could take a look for someone if you wanted. This is the pre-cursor to the current TM-D710, not sure the differences, and similar to the FTM-350. This is the one that allows APRS reporting in the background and has a built-in TNC. You just hook up a GPS to it.

kenwood tm-d700 - $300 (Parker)

kenwood tm-d700 ham radio. Great condition hardly used.
720-524-6181

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not really a Craigslist ad (yet), but if anyone is interested I am considering selling my Yaesu FT-950. Very good shape, about 6 months old, pretty low hours. Flashed firmware v0115 on the main MPU and v11.54 on the DSP MPU, so the radio has the current feature set. Probably going to list at a start point of $1,200.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I have the little brother to this guy on my roof. Works well. I use about 35' of RG-8 to feed mine.

DIAMOND X50A DUALBAND BASE/REPEATER ANTENNA - $60 (Denver)

I have a DIAMOND X50A DUAL BAND BASE/REPEATER Antenna in excellent condition for sale. It has been in my attic for the last 15 years and shows no weathering.
It comes with all mounting hardware and has low SWR on both VHF and UHF ham bands. It can be used as a base or repeater antenna on VHF, UHF or both bands simultaneously.
It sells for $99.95 and I am asking $60 as I no longer have any radio equipment that would use it.
Here is an advertisement with detailed specs: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x50a.html,
and here are rave reviews by users: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4998