Ham and 2-Way Craigslist Thread

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Opinon's needed:

Thinking I need a hand held with external antenna for the Tundra so I have communication to and from the trail. What would you suggest?

Steve...I'd probably put this in its own thread or a handheld thread vs. here :)

That said...Is the radio in the 40 crossband capable? If so, you could go inexpensive on the handheld and use the radio in the 40 to "reach" out. The handheld in the Tundra would be ok but travelling to Moab for instance, you'll be very limited (for a HAM) on who you can hit. You'll hear people a lot that you can't talk with. I ran the VX-7R with an external antenna in the LX for a year + and it was great for trail use...Not so good for driving to/from trails as the reach was limited. Given the size of the tundra and spots I'm sure you could hide the radio, I'd be inclined to get a mobile rig and install it vs a HT in there. Cost wise will probably be about the same, maybe even less depending on which HT vs. which mobile radio you might decide on.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
Steve...I'd probably put this in its own thread or a handheld thread vs. here :)

That said...Is the radio in the 40 crossband capable? If so, you could go inexpensive on the handheld and use the radio in the 40 to "reach" out. The handheld in the Tundra would be ok but travelling to Moab for instance, you'll be very limited (for a HAM) on who you can hit. You'll hear people a lot that you can't talk with. I ran the VX-7R with an external antenna in the LX for a year + and it was great for trail use...Not so good for driving to/from trails as the reach was limited. Given the size of the tundra and spots I'm sure you could hide the radio, I'd be inclined to get a mobile rig and install it vs a HT in there. Cost wise will probably be about the same, maybe even less depending on which HT vs. which mobile radio you might decide on.

Oooops, my bad.....I see the handheld thread now. Thanks for the advice, Jeff.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yaesu FT 3000 HAM radio - $180 (Aurora)

The Yaesu FT-3000M is the only amateur 2 meter FM mobile with 70 full watts of power. Other highlights: 81 memories, twin cooling fans, menu programming, four power levels (70/50/25/10 watts). Wideband receive covers 110-180, 300-520 and 800-900 MHz (less cellular). The sub receiver allows split and full-duplex cross band. The easy-to-read display indicates the complete status of the radio.

The supplied MH-36A6J hand mic includes three programmable keys and can be used for direct frequency entry. It is backlit too! This radio is PC programmable using the optional ADMS2D programming kit. The FT-3000M is MIL-STD 810 tough. The rugged case is: 5.5 x 1.6 x 7.1 inches 2.8 Lbs (140x40x180 mm 1.25 kg). This radio requires 13.8 VDC at 15 amps. Click here for specifications.

Features
81 Memories
70 Watts Output
DCS
Backlit DTMF Mic
Spectrum Scope
CTCSS Encode
Alpha Numeric LCD
Smart Search
Odd Offsets
ARTS™ Auto-Range Transponder System

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hmmm....Wonder if Brady is still looking for a HT for the Tundra?

What's the scoop Dave on the FT 3000? Is it a fairly durable radio for use in less than ideal conditions, i.e. a 40?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Hmmm....Wonder if Brady is still looking for a HT for the Tundra?

What's the scoop Dave on the FT 3000? Is it a fairly durable radio for use in less than ideal conditions, i.e. a 40?
Yeah, I dunno much about the FT-3000 other than what I found on the web. Looks like it would be a fine radio, roughly positioned between the current FT-7900 and FT-8800 in capability with the exception of available memories. It is probably 10 year old or so. I was thinking about contacting the fella. BTW, I don't think it does a separated face, though. It's wide band RX, 2m TX, 70W. Looks like a nice display and I think it does dual RX.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Prices are fair but not super spectacular. A new ATAS-120A goes for about $325 or so. The FT-857 is new about $850. I think he's actually quite high on the power supply. A brand new Astron SS-25 goes for $100.

Yaesu FT-857D & ATAS-120A - $950 (Trinidad/Denver)

I have a used Yaesu FT-857D with ATAS-120A antenna, and Radio Shack 25amp switching power supply. I have homemade separation cables but no bracket, no long power cable, no owners manual. All three are used and have cosmetic scratches etc. but otherwise work 100%. The 857D does have a short power cable with Anderson Powerpoles so you can power it anyway you like. $950 shipped for all 3, or separately $650 shipped for the radio, $250 shipped for the antenna, $100 shipped for the power supply. I can also meet you most anywhere along the I-25 corridor from Longmont to New Mexico. If you would like to meet the price would be $900 for all 3 items.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yaesu VX-5R Ham Radio Tripple Band, GREAT condition - $100 (Parker, CO)

I'm posting my Yaesu VX-5R Tripple Band HT. I bought it a few years ago and maybe used it 10 times, I ended up not doing much VHF Ham Radio and didn't have much need for an HT. It's as it comes from the factory, with no modifications. I have the original antenna and power supply, and a portable hand mike for it. It comes from a smoke free home and I kept it stored for the last year in my home office. It's a solid radio and it's size is perfect for handheld/portable use.

A similar setup is going for over $150 on ebay, but I am willing to negotiate on price, I take cash only.

Please email with any questions!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yaesu VX-5R Ham Radio Tripple Band, GREAT condition - $100 (Parker, CO)

I'm posting my Yaesu VX-5R Tripple Band HT. I bought it a few years ago and maybe used it 10 times, I ended up not doing much VHF Ham Radio and didn't have much need for an HT. It's as it comes from the factory, with no modifications. I have the original antenna and power supply, and a portable hand mike for it. It comes from a smoke free home and I kept it stored for the last year in my home office. It's a solid radio and it's size is perfect for handheld/portable use.

A similar setup is going for over $150 on ebay, but I am willing to negotiate on price, I take cash only.

Please email with any questions!

Presuming that's in decent shape, that's a solid deal on a solid radio. Anyone who's thinking hey maybe a HT would be cool to have should go make this guy an offer.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The FT-2900 usually goes for about $150~$160 and the FT-1900 goes for $130~$140. A brand new, in the box FT-2800 is not worth the same as a new FT-2900. He should be expecting $100~$125 tops. A year or two ago these radios were cheaper but the dollar exchange rate is not going in our favor on imported stuff.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Nice find, the VX8 would be a good deal with all his add on's. May call him tomorrow.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm close to buying this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2036139703.html

From what I've read it can be used to measure swr for antenna tuning. Anyone have experience with it?
It's a true peak reading power/SWR meter. Nice piece of equipment, 'specially for $50. But make sure you realize that the YS-60 is for HF, 1.6MHz to 60MHz. The YS-500 covers VHF and UHF, 140 MHz up to 525MHz. This one would work for CB stuff, as well as 160m to 6m ham.

Dave thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize this one was for HF only, or read right past it anyway.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Not a bad price (new about $175) for a neat little tuner. I have one of these, BTW, ideal for portable and QRP since it can run on batteries without much work.

LDG Z11-Pro Autotuner. HAM radio - $120 (Broomfield)

LDG Z11-Pro Autotuner in great condition.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5388

Meet the Z-11ProII, everything you always wanted in a small, portable tuner designed from the ground up for battery operation. Only 5" x 7.5" x 1.5", and weighing only 18 ounces, it handles 0.1 to 125 watts, making it ideal for both QRP and standard 100 watt transceivers from 160 - 6 meters.

The Z-11ProII uses LDG’s state-of-the-art processor-controlled Switched-L tuning network. It will match dipoles, verticals, inverted-Vs or virtually any coax-fed antenna. With an optional LDG balun, it will also match longwires or antennas fed with ladder-line.

The Z-11ProII has 2,000 memories automatically storing tuning configurations for each frequency and band as you use them. Frequency sensing circuitry lets the Z-11Pro “know” your operating band and frequency. Whenever you transmit on or near a frequency you’ve used before, the Z-11ProII retunes from memory almost instantly. Full auto mode tunes with SSB. Just speak into the mic and it tunes! Memories are retained indefinitely.

Rugged and easy-to-read LEDs indicate SWR and status. The Z-11ProII uses latching relays which retain the tuned configuration even when powered down; current draw when not tuning is effectively zero.