Ham and 2-Way Craigslist Thread

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Little Tarheel II mobile HF ham radio antenna and Mount - $350 (Franktown)

Little Tarheel II mobile HF screwdriver ham radio antenna, black. Good condition, comes with antenna, MT-1 stainless mount and control cable. You will need to add an appropriate up/down switch and the whip of your choice.

3kd3o53ld5Y35Z65X1ab7fffc44c5b3dc1655.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Paging rhyary! Wire me $800 and I'd be sure to work it through its paces, just to be helpful, dontcha know.

The ICOM IC-746 is a really, really awesome all mode (CW, AM, FM, SSB, packet) 160m-6m & 2m radio (40W on AM, 100W all other modes). This radio would blow away a FT-897 and is $100 less than a new one of those. Give up battery options (no biggie) and UHF to it, but generation newer DSP and probably an order better receiver.

If I had $800 I'd be all over this one, that's pretty close to 1/2 of its new price. In fact, if someone wanted to buy my refreshed Alinco DX-70T(H) and FT-8800R for $800... :)

ICOM Ham Radio Transceiver - $799 (Golden, Co)

IC-746 Pro
Brand New Condition
With Power Supply
1 Yr Old
Manuals & Original Boxes
Ham Stick Antennas with Mag Mount

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/746pro/default.aspx

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0074.html

0074lrg.jpg

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yaesu FT-8900R Quad Band Transciever - $369 (Denver)

Yaesu FT-8900R
QUADBAND 29/50/144/430 VHF/UHF FULL DUPLEX HAM radio.
YSK-8900 separation Kit included. All boxes and manuals included. In Excellent condition.
50 Watts of power output on the 29/50/144 MHz Amateur bands, and 35 Watts on the 430 MHz band. Over 800 memory channels.
Frequency coverage 28-29.7 MHz, 50-54 MHz, 108-180 MHz, 300-480 MHz, and 700-985 MHz (cellular frequencies are blocked).

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
8900 too much radio?

Seems like a decent price for the 8900. is this too much radio for a newbie with just Tech?

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
Seems like a decent price for the 8900. is this too much radio for a newbie with just Tech?
Not at all, you have full privileges on 6m, 2m and 70cm, and you have a really tiny slice of voice spectrum on 10 meters now that the code requirement is dropped. Since this is an FM only radio, you can use it to its fullest, iirc. I used to have one. The 6 presets and dual in-band receive are really useful features. And I think the mic plugs into the remote head unit for super easy hiding of the radio body. If you need a custom length remote cable I still have the crimper. The cable and ends are cheap at Radio Shack.

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
BTW, a few companies sell a quad band mobile antenna for the FT8900. I had the Diamond version and it is a beast. I broke it on a tree branch because it had no give. If you want to transmit on 10m/6m on this radio, I suggest running two antennas and a switch.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member

In a lot of senses, it is too much radio, but has two key features that I think make it worth the cost:

1. detachable face plate - makes it so that you can remote mount the big radio somewhere out of site, and put together a simple and clean install of just a 3x8 (guessing) face plate on your dash.

2. Dual monitoring feature - allows you to monitor two stations simultaneously. Very useful when monitoring simplex (146.460) as well as the repeater network (Colorado Connection) to find where the RS chatter is.

There are tons of other features in the radio, but for the simple HAM these are two nice and practical pieces.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
John hit the high points, so I'll add a couple of things.

I think the FT-8900 is a bit of an enigma. Being FM-only for TX is somewhat limiting, having SSB would I think make it much more flexible. The antenna selection is a problem for OHV use, there is just nothing available in an all-in-one option that is gonna last on our trucks. Like John mentions, a duplexer and two antennas is an option or running an NMO mount would make swapping easier. There are a couple 6/2/70 choices and then you can just add a trimmed CB antenna for 10m.

OTOH, the FT-8900 is in most ways otherwise the same as the FT-8800, which is a great radio. Having the option of 6m and 10m is neat and extra options are good. This is normally about a $450+ radio and at this price it's less than the FT-8800 and almost down to a new FT-7900 price. So from that aspect you are getting a lot more radio for your money and even if you never use the features and just run a 2m/70cm antenna on it all the time, you haven't lost anything.

Truth is (I think) most people will never use 10m and 6m FM, though with the solar cycle rising it would be fun (I think) to test propagation and suddenly get into a 10m or 6m repeater in SoCal or Texas...

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
<snip>I think the FT-8900 is a bit of an enigma. Being FM-only for TX is somewhat limiting, having SSB would I think make it much more flexible.<'snip>
SSB on 10 with a vertical antenna (even an outbacker type) seems limiting to me as well, but people do it. I have seen rovers use a 6m horizontal beam on top of their cars, chasing grid squares. Can you imagine even three elements on 10m?
That's a lot of metal in the air for mobile ops.:yagi:

jacdaw

Hard Core 4+
I say buy as much radio as you can afford. If nothing else, you might hear something interesting someday that will peak your interest. Then again, that can be a slippery slope...:eek:

rhyary

I just saw this. Looking into it if not too late

Paging rhyary! Wire me $800 and I'd be sure to work it through its paces, just to be helpful, dontcha know.

The ICOM IC-746 is a really, really awesome all mode (CW, AM, FM, SSB, packet) 160m-6m & 2m radio (40W on AM, 100W all other modes). This radio would blow away a FT-897 and is $100 less than a new one of those. Give up battery options (no biggie) and UHF to it, but generation newer DSP and probably an order better receiver.

If I had $800 I'd be all over this one, that's pretty close to 1/2 of its new price. In fact, if someone wanted to buy my refreshed Alinco DX-70T(H) and FT-8800R for $800... :)

ICOM Ham Radio Transceiver - $799 (Golden, Co)

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/746pro/default.aspx

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0074.html

0074lrg.jpg

rhyary

Hmm, I am pretty sold on the Kenwood TS 480HX. I just have to come up with all the other components, mounting locations and at some point save enough money for it. The detachable plate of the 480 is important to me. The TS-480 seems to be capable and designed for Mobile operation. The only think I am not sure about is that Kenwood came out with the TS-590 (not mobile) and I get the sense they might come out with a newer 480 soon. And I am not in a rush to begin with.

Rami

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Hmm, I am pretty sold on the Kenwood TS 480HX. I just have to come up with all the other components, mounting locations and at some point save enough money for it. The detachable plate of the 480 is important to me. The TS-480 seems to be capable and designed for Mobile operation. The only think I am not sure about is that Kenwood came out with the TS-590 (not mobile) and I get the sense they might come out with a newer 480 soon. And I am not in a rush to begin with.

Rami
I would not wait on what might come down the pike, budget what you want to spend and jump in when the right one comes up. One thing I can guarantee is that what you buy will /always/ be obsolete sooner rather than later... Buying used is the best way to maximize your budget since hams are chronic tinkers and ones with more money tend to upgrade a lot. What I did at home was to start saving for a FT-450 and when I had enough money a very nice DX-70T(H) (with an Alpine Antennas screwdriver to boot) showed up on Craigslist, which I ended up getting instead and with the left over money I bought that LDG Z-11 Pro II and a Astron RS-35M power supply. I essentially went from nothing to a complete shack for $600. Now to just finish installation. :)

The TS-480 is a very nice radio! One thing I did not like about it was that the face is pretty bulky, couldn't find a good place in my truck for it. But with a Cruiser that is probably a lot less of an issue compared to my little tin box. A center console like in the 80 would make the difference, something I don't have.

It's also pretty pricey IMHO since it's performance is closer to the FT-857, being that both have DSP in the AF section only. If I was gonna spend $1,000+ it would definitely be on a IC-7000, which has a generation newer DSP that's placed in the IF, where it's going to be much more effective. The IC-7000 is a close competitor to the FT-950/TS-590 level of radio. I expect that Yeasu and Kenwood will have to come up with something comparable (and I'd guess Yeasu will intro or at least annouce the 857/897 successor in 2011) to stay in the game. If ICOM can get the IC-7000 down about $200 it will rule the mobile HF market.

Last edited:

rhyary

The IC-7000 has been on the short list as well and was recommended to me.
The mounting location on the 80 will be passenger back where the third seat bracket is.
I have 1/0 cable from the second battery terminate there and it powers my electronics. It is also easy to get the antenna wire into that location.

The radio will have to have a face plate that I will bring to the front same as my FTM-350 setup.

I am aware that the 480 DSP is on the AF and I know it should be on the IF. The 480 has two TI 16 bit so it can do a 32bit floating point but i recongnize that it is not current as a true 32bit FP.

I am cool with waiting for an amazing deal on CL...
I have noticed that many hams have many radios, I prefer to buy one and be content with it.

rhyary

Good points as usual. The Kenwood interface is less menu driven and supposetly will be easier to use on the road. But I checked the IC-7000 again it I have to say it looks impressive. Keeping with the spirit of this thread, I suppose if any of the two will come up on CL in as new condition I will have to be ready with the $$$.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Good points as usual. The Kenwood interface is less menu driven and supposetly will be easier to use on the road. But I checked the IC-7000 again it I have to say it looks impressive. Keeping with the spirit of this thread, I suppose if any of the two will come up on CL in as new condition I will have to be ready with the $$$.
I think you understand my points. I've seen a lot of guys put the cart before the horse. I'm as guilty as anyone, I really like the technical aspect of the hobby. But keep your expectations reasonable because with HF you will be spending more time tinkering and tweaking and I don't want to see you regret spending $1,000 on a radio that ends up being little more than a fancy 2m mobile, you already have a very nice one of those. Mobile operation is for me a lot less of an issue because I just don't do it that much. So menus don't both me and I got the fancy DTMF mic for my radio that has all the important functions at my fingertips anyway. I think of my radio as more of a truck-portable HF rig than as a mobile rig, so to speak (it is my 2m FM for driving since I only have the one radio in the truck).