• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Enduro 29er wheelset

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I wish I had your wheel building skills! Looks like a nice system. I love my enduro wheelset...being a heavier rider, I have not had a single issue with wheels/spokes with semi-aggressive riding.

wesintl

RS Moderator
I have a set of 1700 splines. I think they have PHR tech but i'm not sure and they were prebuilt. they are strong. I run dhr f and r on those. The kings I run ardent race or ikons for fast xc

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So these arrived the other day. Found them on PinkBike used. Thinking I’ll rebuild my OEM wheels with them. My DT 370’s are showing some age. Still want a set of Kings for primary wheels.

C78329DD-F2B8-4B85-8677-74CFD8C3D929.jpeg

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone here with Spank 350/359 experience? For what ever reason they appeal to me. I like the bead groves. And something you don’t see as OEM equipment all the time. No eyelets so I’d build using the DT nipple washers.

Edit: it appears a washer is built into the newer rims. They also recommend a triple butt spoke 2.2/1.8/2.0. Not sure how I fell about running alpine III or similar?

https://spank-ind.com/collections/rims/products/spank-359-vibrocore™-rim

1819B5D7-5E19-46B6-9FAE-32A728B08BC6.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This has nothing to do with 29er wheel sets, but I need fork seals for my wife’s bike and a new derailler for mine and they are about a month out. Hopefully this is only a temporary delay.

rckhound

Rising Sun Member
I bought a pair of the Spank rims to replace my old Spank rims and am a little disappointed they changed to the low and wide profile rim. My last ones lasted 4 years of racing. As far as hubs go I am a true believer in Industry Nine Torch hubs using steel J-bend spokes. I have run those for years and have had noting but good experiences. I rebuild them every season and pull the free hub body off and clean it a couple times a season.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kind of disappointed in the rim weights of these two DT rims. Published weight is 525 grams with the spoke washers. I guess I can hope my original two are also overweight and I still see the overall weight savings. Pics below just rims no washers.
View attachment 95036
View attachment 95037
To have + 33 grams on an expected weight of 525 grams is about 7% over weight (don't know off hand the weight of spoke washers). Tolerance on rim weight will dictate how long they they can run the molds. As they wear the extruded profile grows so the walls thicken. For it to be tighter would require them to reduce the length of time they use their molds and that increases production cost. Trade-offs.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
To have + 33 grams on an expected weight of 525 grams is about 7% over weight (don't know off hand the weight of spoke washers). Tolerance on rim weight will dictate how long they they can run the molds. As they wear the extruded profile grows so the walls thicken. For it to be tighter would require them to reduce the length of time they use their molds and that increases production cost. Trade-offs.
CDABA8BD-3209-4EC5-8510-6852BAFB7270.jpeg

Just the washers were like 1 or 2 grams.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Just finished the rear, as well I had to, in order to ride after today's failure above.

New wheel is 987 grams verse the M1900 above at 1066. Both fully dress with with rim tape and valve stems.

Published weights on the the M1700/M1900 are 965/1070 grams. So I'm a little disappointed that my wheel is heavier than a M1700 as it cost me more to build even with the used hub score. After the one wheel build with the DT Squorx nipples I'm not at all impressed Nor with the nipple washers. We'll see how the front goes together. I might be back to my eyelet rule moving forward.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Built the front tonight. 894g verse 955g on the old.

I can say now that I hate straight pull spokes. Not a fan of the DT washer system nor the DT “pro lock” thread locker. I don’t feel like these wheels will be very user friendly to service. The Squorx nipple system works great with the special tool but pulling a tire and rim tape to true it will suck. Every nipple I put a standard wrench on rounded off during the build and I replaced. 28° does not seem to be worth the slight weight savings verse strength.

That Whisky rim tape I really like over the Stans I’ve used in the past.

Looking forward to the day when the Chris King hubs arrive and I can build what I consider a proper wheel with J-bend spokes, 32 of them and an eyelet rim. I’ll go back to wheelsmith spoke prep.

Bridger is happy, he got my old M1900 wheelset with the DT350 warranty hub laced into it already. Set of XC tires and that swap cut over a pound off his bike. He might out climb me now.

His Chameleon.

005E1E71-75DF-4F35-954E-E5F24AD7695A.jpeg

Last edited:

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Well it only took 18 months but look what finally arrived to my local shop. 32° centerlock. King discontinued the 6-bolt rotor hub after I ordered them :(. But what ever time to build wheels again. Happy to get the new universal tool kit as that was not yet invented when my original order was placed. This should service all King hub current and past. We have an old one on our tandem.

8E791674-0BCC-461A-8F82-5E4FB3D19778.jpeg