Enduro 29er wheelset

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
You're the alpha dog fer sure. If I ever leave terra firma it's wholly unintentional and usually ends in disaster.

SSWC, nice. How'd you do? I'd should go someday but I can't drink much anymore and I definitely suck wind, so there's no point to demonstrating a total lack of usefulness.

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
SSWC was great. I definitely went into the race to party, not win....especially after averaging 20 miles a day for the 3 weeks leading up to the race.

I finished 25th, 30 minutes behind the leader (Red Bull pro XC guy) got lost 3 times and drank at least one beer at every aid station. :beer:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Holy chit, 140 miles weeks on a SS, you ARE a hardman. To get that sort of mileage I had quit my job and ride the CT. Even then Terry and I were only on averaging between 25 and 35ish per day. Of course Marco threw down the whole CTR in that sort of time on his one speed, IIRC.

IMG_1408_mid.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kings are nice and there's not much left to not know about them, good and bad. It's a hobby, if you want King hubs and you don't get them you're going always feel like you made the wrong choice.

wesintl

RS Moderator
hard to go wrong with them and i love the bearings and engagement but jeezus my rear has been nothing but problems being loose. That's a constant theme with kings on the boards

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Get the kings, I bet they'll be fine. Comparing it to my experience may be flawed since I ride SS. Maybe the pedal pressure is much higher than you on a geared bike. Rebuilding them is pretty fun anyways and it sounds like you haven't had to on the tandem one. Maybe i got a few bad apples and was rebuilding them wrong. They are neat to play with and they look cool, and when they work I do like them. Angry bees. Like Dave says, if you don't get them maybe you'll regret it. You can always sell them again since people do love them.

Yeah rims are expensive... all of it is.. But if you're over 200lbs all decked out you probably need something stronger. Especially if you like to flog the crap out of them. Although that number on the weight is almost purely arbitrary... Build what you want, ride it, and fix it till you find something that works. That's what I think most of us have done and you also in your years riding. Bombproof never have to touch it will cost more $$ though and it's still a guess. And bling obviously adds to that. All you have is real world experiences to go off of where people tend to embellish. If it works for Adam though.... man i'd bet it'd work for an extremely large population of recreational riders. If you huck the gnar like Adam, you are in a different league and should expect to pony up the $$ to make it work for you and have more trial and error.

Dave, you should tackle the AZT next! that was a different animal. phew.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I wish I was 200lbs all decked out. More like 235.

I’m trying to match rim width to my tire size more than for strength. Right now I’m running 2.5 & 2.3 ft/r. If I change that it will be larger.

The carbon stuff is cool but I can rebuild 2-3 times with standard aluminum rims for the same cost. When I was racing a hard tail I was super hard on wheels. Not so much since going soft.

I have a friend who is an I9 dealer. Maybe I’ll go that direction if something presents itself. But still build my own wheels of course. That is half the fun.

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I like my wider wheels for sure.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Being a curmudgeon I scoffed when the Arch when from 21 mm to 26 mm internal width. I was wrong.

Last edited:

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Dont go Carbon. Not worth it in anyway, unless you like pissing out money. I ride with a lot of sponsored carbon wheel guys and they have all said I wouldn't ride them if they didn't pay me. Fastest guys in the world dont ride carbon (Unless its downhill and only one run matters)

benjrblant

Trail Ready
I'm all for silent hubs on the MTB. Angry bee hubs on my road/commuter are useful for alerting others that a bike is coming!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
OK, so I'm going to finally be able to build a new set of wheels this winter. Still leaning hard on the King hubs. Despite others, I've never had issues, nor have the handful of local BMX guys. (tons of stress there)

What does everyone currently like in a 30-35mm inner rim width. Must have eyelets.

The DT's I'm on now have been fine other than they are only 29mm and if I run a low pressure I constantly feel like I'm gong to roll the tire off the rim.

So far these seem to be most appealing, other than the decals are ugly as hell.
DT Swiss FR560 https://www.dtswiss.com/en/components/rims-mtb/free-ride/fr-560

DT_FR560.jpg

wesintl

RS Moderator
King completely rebuilt my hub which was nice. My DT hubs and 1700 are way more durable than kings hands down. I was always a fan of mavic but it looks like they are harder to get now. I need to break down my kings since I have a set of carbon rims for xc racing and leadville g