Corona Virus Panic

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Went to Costco this morning, figured I'd get there 30 mins early. It was nuts, everyone in panic.

I just wanted some ground beef and chicken. I tried to buy it at King Soopers but they were wiped out. All I could do was thank the employees and try to be civil when someone ran their cart into my heels.

Avoid if you can.
While experts are giving us sound plans to try to slow the spread of this virus by cancelling mass gatherings, people are flocking to indoor food arenas and standing shoulder to shoulder with each other. I don't believe the message is coming through clearly.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
While agree, it may be out of the control of the committee. If the city, county, or permit issues revoke permits, there is nothing that can be done. I'll say I'm going regardless. I may be alone or surrounded by friends, but I'm still going.
I plan to still go as well.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Black plague? Cancel CM? I hope you're kidding. Do you think this virus just showed up a couple months ago? It's likely been circulating in the population for years. Flipping years! Changing and mutating the whole time. It will be back next year and the year after that. It was here long before the media struck up their "Covid 19" circus. No panic then. There should be no panic now. Turn the TV off and go to Moab. Hopefully, if CM is cancelled the smart thinkers will take advantage of the opportunity to have their own informal CM anyway. I know I'd go. I'm buying plane tickets right now for our next trip.

No that is not true. It is new and has not been circulating for anything more than the beginning of December last year. Pull your head out of your you know what and get with the facts. It might be back next year, but by all professional accounts this is new. The smart thinkers will stay indoors and stay away from other people. Obviously YOU are NOT one of the smart people. Go back under the rock you just came out from under!

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
@DaveInDenver in a related matter, I've been told the "Vault 7" releases from Wikileaks revealed that Signal had been/is compromised and all traffic is readable by US intelligence agencies.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
Covid19 has up to 10,000x more viral load in the respiratory system than SARS and can be spread just by breathing normally, no cough needed. Can last suspended in the air for up to 30 minutes. Italy just upped their fatality rate to 7% yesterday.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
1. This is serious. Therefore, follow the directions and guidelines from actual health and disease organizations. Do not listen the the media. All of the health organizations have easily accessible websites and readily available information. The media is trying to make massive profits off of this and every tragedy by writing the most sensationalized, emotionally provoking things they can, I.e clickbait.

2. Italy is bad. And a very good cautionary tale. However, keep in mind that Italy is old. 2nd to japan in average age of its population. Therefore, they have a higher relative number of high risk people, and therefore their death rate is going to naturally be higher than everywhere else. They also (stereotypically of course, so take it for what it’s worth) tend to be a “F- the rules” culture. Which I think is the real lesson there: follow the directions and recommendations of the health experts.
That isn’t to downplay or otherwise detract from the seriousness or sadness of what is going on there. Rather to say: take a lesson from this but keep all things in perspective.

And finally: this is a community, country, and world wide problem. Act like a citizen of the world, not a selfish prick. “Me and mine” is valid up to a point, but consider the impact your actions have on the people around you. You will need people eventually unless you happen to have a farm, an oil well, a gasoline refinery, a textile plant, etc... in your basement. Stop hoarding things.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Covid19 has up to 10,000x more viral load in the respiratory system than SARS and can be spread just by breathing normally, no cough needed. Can last suspended in the air for up to 30 minutes. Italy just upped their fatality rate to 7% yesterday.
Cite references, please.

Just a hasty search came across these.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2001737
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30113-4/fulltext

The Lancet quotes copies/mL medians of 79,900 (4.9 log)  in throat swabs and 752,000 (5.9 log) in sputum swabs for SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19). That's it ranges from a 2.8 logs to ridiculously greater than 9 logs isn't important, outliers are not statistically important.

For example the NIH itself mentions well over 8 log in H1N1 and H3N2 infections immediately after infection in throat and sputum swabs.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874536/

Sounds like you're informed in infectious disease. How is measuring an extremely high viral load such as that different than any other disease? It's what ends up in the blood that matters. What are those for the various diseases comparatively?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
No that is not true. It is new and has not been circulating for anything more than the beginning of December last year. Pull your head out of your you know what and get with the facts. It might be back next year, but by all professional accounts this is new. The smart thinkers will stay indoors and stay away from other people. Obviously YOU are NOT one of the smart people. Go back under the rock you just came out from under!

Cogent ad hominem aside, do caps indicate a raised voice or is it some other emphasis? I'm not trying to argue. I just want to be sure I get what it is you're trying to say.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Whelp.... we are back at zero percent rates. ZIRP (zero interest rate policy) for all with a dash of POMO (permanent open market operations) too. $2,200,000,000,000 in treasury and MBS (mortgage backed security) purchases announced in the past few days. Makes the 300 billion in proposed FICA cuts seem small.

Ever given thought to what 2.2 trillion means? There are 330 million Americans. That equated out to the government monetizing the debt to the tune of nearly $7,000 for every man woman and child in the USA. Wow. That is in addition to our 24 trillion dollar official debt and the approximately 4 trillion in debt the Fed is still carrying from the last recession. Oh and the unofficial government debt spending for 2019 was ~1.2 trillion. What do we wager that number will be this year?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/fed...-700-billion-quantitative-easing-program.html

The futures markets open in 5 minutes. It is expected that it will be another bad open like last week. Care to wager guesses?

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Don't forget the Fed's offer of 5.4 in repo maturities, the ECB's lowering of banking standards and a handful of other gifts and promises. Everything is going to be just fine. Nothing to worry about. No need to rush to cash. Business as usual.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The futures markets open in 5 minutes. It is expected that it will be another bad open like last week. Care to wager guesses?
Well there ya go.

Stock futures drop — hit ‘limit down’ — even as Fed slashes rates; Dow futures off 1,000 points

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/tra...r-fed-cuts-rates-launches-easing-program.html

“The Fed blasted its monetary bazooka for sure,” said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group. “This better work because I don’t know what they have left and no amount of money raining from the sky will cure this virus. Only time and medicine will.”

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Don't forget the Fed's offer of 5.4 in repo maturities, the ECB's lowering of banking standards and a handful of other gifts and promises. Everything is going to be just fine. Nothing to worry about. No need to rush to cash. Business as usual.

Seems like a race to the bottom. I am loading up on gold and silver miners. EPGFX from a no load broker for the win.

Well there ya go.

Stock futures drop — hit ‘limit down’ — even as Fed slashes rates; Dow futures off 1,000 points

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/15/tra...r-fed-cuts-rates-launches-easing-program.html

“The Fed blasted its monetary bazooka for sure,” said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group. “This better work because I don’t know what they have left and no amount of money raining from the sky will cure this virus. Only time and medicine will.”

The emperor sure as hell looks naked to me. I guess I am just not smart enough to see the clothes!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Seems like a race to the bottom. I am loading up on gold and silver miners. EPGFX from a no load broker for the win.

The emperor sure as hell looks naked to me. I guess I am just not smart enough to see the clothes!
It's an oldie but a goody.

bernanke-helicopter.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hey guys! I’ve had my head buried in the committee forum and its nice to get out and hear what some of the membership at large is thinking. I won’t try and speak for the committee but I can tell you guys that our people are facing very tough decisions at present.

@Rzeppa Check this article out. The commentary on quarantine logic is worth considering.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markmanson.net/coronavirus-risks-biases/amp

This is also a fun read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

Really good reads, thanks for sharing that Daniel! And just to reiterate, my attitude on this subject has shifted 180° from when I started this thread just under a week ago.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Cogent ad hominem aside, do caps indicate a raised voice or is it some other emphasis? I'm not trying to argue. I just want to be sure I get what it is you're trying to say.

Ever since Al Gore invented the internet, all caps is shouting ;)

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Okay, so I did my routine weekly shopping at Safeway yesterday. Uploaded some photos I took with my pocket computer (which also has telephone functionality). This was the image I was greeted with when I first walked in the door. Was supposed to be strawberries I think.
20200314_094344.jpg

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
To add to what Jackson posted on FB the other day from a pic Megan sent him, here is the paper towel/toilet paper aisle, and the facial tissue section. At least they still had some?

20200314_094412.jpg
20200314_094418.jpg