Corona Virus Panic

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
I guess I should've bought TP in Vietnam and imported it. This level of panic is beyond that of a natural diaster.

I lived in Florida during some pretty big hurricanes and even then there was less panic. Gas was the big thing to go there.

I give it a week before people are stealing rolls from public restrooms.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
We'll cushion the hospitals but destroy the economy and the hoarding will starve half the population in the process. SARS-CoV-2, better known as Charlie Foxtrot 2020.
Hey buddy! Hope you’re well. You should post a dummies guide to minimum viable ham radio base stations and operating them at home. Not at all sure that it would become a necessity but it’s a fun and valuable skill to build when we’re all sitting at home for way too long. Good thing I normally buy way more books than I can read! I have to say that I’m not in love with that infographic. The media mentions aspect fails to take into account that a lack of media mentions would be equally cited justification for denial during a crisis. That being said, I don’t watch tv. Maybe they are overstating, though it’s difficult to imagine that they are. Either way guys, remember that incremental restrictions to your liberties and freedom of movement come one piece at a time. This is the historical rule, not the exception. Also, the deaths per day snapshot seems to be the kind of thing is outdated the moment it’s created. A comparison to preexisting illnesses that have been around for sometime and made the rounds seems thoughtless if not disingenuous to me.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Perhaps this will afford some perspective to us all. I thought it was interesting to read. Below are the copied posts from Silvia Stringhini's Twitter feed (@silviast9). Silvia translated a Facebook post of an Italian doctor in the thick of it at a hospital in Bergamo Italy. Bergamo is the epicenter of the outbreak in Italy and has become one of the hardest hit regions in the country. See below:

Dr Daniele Macchini's post, translated by Dr Silvia Stringhini

"I may be repeating myself, but I want to fight this sense of security that I see outside of the epicenters, as if nothing was going to happen "here". The media in Europe are reassuring, politicians are reassuring, while there's little to be reassured of.

"This is the English translation of a post of another ICU physician in Bergamo, Dr. Daniele Macchini. Read until the end "After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

"I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

"I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly 'emptied', elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

"All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

"I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

"The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

"The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

"Now, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing Covid19 to flu, link here]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is 'temporarily' put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

"Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

"Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

"Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

"The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask, 'What can I do for you now?'

"Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

"There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

"Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

"We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy.

"I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?"

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...ark-warning-from-italys-coronavirus-epicentre

Last edited:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Hey Ryan, that pretty much echos the stuff I've read about what been going on in Italy for the past week. Really eye opening. The same thing could happen here in the next few weeks, hopefully the draconian measures instituted here over couple of days or so will prevent that kind of triage situation they have faced in Italy over the past couple days.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
A comparison to preexisting illnesses that have been around for sometime and made the rounds seems thoughtless if not disingenuous to me.

That was pretty much my entire premise in starting this thread, was the comparison to seasonal flu, which routinely kills tens of thousands of Americans every year, yet gets no press. As of today, updated by CDC from when I started this thread last week, seasonal flu had killed 45,000 Americans and infected over 38 million Americans (more than one in ten of us). Federal, state and local government agencies are responding to this new corona epidemic with a sense of urgency, which I agree is called for, yet seasonal flu is still ignored by all but grizzled health care veterans. I was harassed by my health care provider both last year and this year to get vaccinated against the flu, and acquiesced both times.

I still don't understand why people think they need to have so much toilet paper? Okay Jackson does, but what about the rest of us?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
We're not talking the Black Plague,

My dear friend Dave I think we are talking black plague here, the main difference being that it is a virus rather than a bacteria transmitted by fleas. Based on what has happened in Italy in the past week, there is little doubt in my mind that the same thing could (and may well still) happen here, with all our hospital beds overwhelmed, not enough ventilators to go around and doctors deciding which patients must die due to finite resources and triaging those who present. My viewpoint has come 180° from when I started this thread, based on reporting over the past 5 days. This is a lot more serious than I thought when I started this thread, and agree with officials that cancelling gatherings and closing stuff is really really warranted.

That said, I really don't see how Cruise Moab 2020 could possibly come about. I was really looking forward to it, but I think the responsible thing the committee needs to do is issue cancellation notifications as soon as possible. This is an extraordinary event and I am sure registrants will understand.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
I understand your viewpoint Jeff. I couldn't attend CM 2020 anyway. But I feel for everyone involved in planning the event and those planning to attend. You can always go on your own and run some trails so its not a complete bust if you still want to go to Moab this year.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
We have a trip to Europe scheduled for April 30th. United this morning moved one leg in Europe giving us a 28 hour layover. That met their grounds for full refund vs credit so I canceled our trip. We have been there (canceling) for a week or so, just waiting for the right time to not lose our sunk cost. Now I can go to overland Expo, if that is still going to happen

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
My non-lawyer side speaking: there’s no reason to cancel CM. Maybe you change the format of the raffle, but that’s it. It’s an elective event already thick with risks far greater than a flu. Waivers already in place. So offer refunds for anyone that wants out, otherwise hold it and say “at your own risk”. That event wouldn’t expose me to more than I’ll get by waiting in a Costco checkout line 100 people deep.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Headed to Costco!
20170428_085559.jpg

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
Went to Costco this morning, figured I'd get there 30 mins early. It was nuts, everyone in panic.

I just wanted some ground beef and chicken. I tried to buy it at King Soopers but they were wiped out. All I could do was thank the employees and try to be civil when someone ran their cart into my heels.

Avoid if you can.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_091708.jpg
    IMG_20200314_091708.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 156

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Black plague? Cancel CM? I hope you're kidding. Do you think this virus just showed up a couple months ago? It's likely been circulating in the population for years. Flipping years! Changing and mutating the whole time. It will be back next year and the year after that. It was here long before the media struck up their "Covid 19" circus. No panic then. There should be no panic now. Turn the TV off and go to Moab. Hopefully, if CM is cancelled the smart thinkers will take advantage of the opportunity to have their own informal CM anyway. I know I'd go. I'm buying plane tickets right now for our next trip.

OilHammer

Hard Core 4+
I just went to Home Depot. Full....of people shopping like any normal Saturday. Zero panic and zero care in the world.

Last edited:

FZJ Dave

Black plague? Cancel CM? I hope you're kidding. Do you think this virus just showed up a couple months ago? It's likely been circulating in the population for years. Flipping years! Changing and mutating the whole time. It will be back next year and the year after that. It was here long before the media struck up their "Covid 19" circus. No panic then. There should be no panic now. Turn the TV off and go to Moab. Hopefully, if CM is cancelled the smart thinkers will take advantage of the opportunity to have their own informal CM anyway. I know I'd go. I'm buying plane tickets right now for our next trip.
While agree, it may be out of the control of the committee. If the city, county, or permit issues revoke permits, there is nothing that can be done. I'll say I'm going regardless. I may be alone or surrounded by friends, but I'm still going.