• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Corona Virus Panic

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Hey guys! I’ve had my head buried in the committee forum and its nice to get out and hear what some of the membership at large is thinking. I won’t try and speak for the committee but I can tell you guys that our people are facing very tough decisions at present.

@Rzeppa Check this article out. The commentary on quarantine logic is worth considering.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markmanson.net/coronavirus-risks-biases/amp

This is also a fun read:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Mark Manson is great. I enjoyed his opinion on this whole thing. It’s valuable to be Mostly mentally present in my experience, but very interesting to consider the outcome of something this scale.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
My daughter is a PA in Virginia. She works at an urgent care clinic. They are hoping to get their first 20 virus test kits within 2 weeks. They see 200 patients per day on average. This is not going to end well.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Nope tl/dw

Not watching videos here. Use words here. I read way faster than people can talk. Is there a transcript somewhere I can read?

Just watch it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Mark Manson is great. I enjoyed his opinion on this whole thing. It’s valuable to be Mostly mentally present in my experience, but very interesting to consider the outcome of something this scale.
agreed, thanks Chase for posting that one.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
The other issue for all of us is capacity. Young ones may have very low mortality rates but if you exceed the health care system’s ability (I.e. no hospital beds) because you have infected the bulk of the vulnerable population, you have a major problem for everyone: an example: you get in a car accident and need lifesaving care, and there is no room for you and no doctor available.

as my mother has said my entire life: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

YotaMD

New-ish
The other issue for all of us is capacity. Young ones may have very low mortality rates but if you exceed the health care system’s ability (I.e. no hospital beds) because you have infected the bulk of the vulnerable population, you have a major problem for everyone: an example: you get in a car accident and need lifesaving care, and there is no room for you and no doctor available.

as my mother has said my entire life: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

This was one of the points made in an article I saw on Moab. There are concerns that even if Corona-virus isn't a mortality concern itself, it may overwhelm hospital resources and other urgent care situations would turn more critical than normal because those people can't get care.

There's a limited number of resources, especially in the semi-remote towns.

I work for a very large corporation. My mid-size site (500-1000? employees) is asking everyone that can work from home to do so going forward. No travel, no meetings with a certain number of people, etc...

I'm good with the social distancing prioritization. It's probably fine to over-react when it comes to that. What's not fine is the panic buying and hoarding of supplies that's currently preventing hospitals from functioning at 100%. Friend of ours works in a hospital and someone broke in and stole the supply cabinets with face masks and sanitizers. The hospital had to go into lock-down when they realized what had happened.

Last edited:

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
My question is if everyone is quarantined at home who's going to make us more toilet paper?

I have a pine tree in my back yard so my family and I will be using pine cones once we run out of butt wipe.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I knew I was saving my old socks for something. I just didn't know what it was. Until now.
That's what I mean! Since society is quickly devolving through panic, fear, uncertainty, doubt and, basically, going mad in the future of what use will dark dress socks be any more?

J1000

Rising Sun Member

This is currently the situation in Italy. Just a week or two ago it was life as normal, but now nearly every hospital bed is being devoted to COVID cases so now treatment for normal stuff like broken limbs, or heart attacks, etc is all getting only basic care if any at all. There are even rumors that COVID patients over 65 years old are being triaged and left untreated in order to focus on a large number of 40-50 year old cases. Here is a facebook post from a friend of mine about the situation:

"Family and friends, I want to share my perspective on things in a way that might resonate with some of you. This is not meant to cause fear, panic, or motivate additional hoarding. It’s just meant to help you appreciate the seriousness of this pandemic.

I spent ~2 years navigating a dysfunctional health system as a flight paramedic in the developing world. During that time I learned what hospitals look like when they are completely overwhelmed. I remember the exhausted look on the faces of healthcare providers who had worked multiple consecutive shifts without a break. I know what it’s like to have to turn people away from seeking care due to a lack of resources. I have felt the guilt that comes with having to decide whether or not someone (who would have otherwise probably survived) should be placed on a ventilator when there are not nearly enough to go around. I know what it smells like when the morgues extend beyond their functional capacity.

If what has happened in Italy is any indication of what could happen here in the next several weeks, it’s going to overwhelm our hospital system to the point of temporary failure. I hope it won’t ever be as bad as what happens daily in many parts of the world, but If it does I can tell you several things with absolute certainty: This virus will take the lives of a great number of people, while many additional will die of normally preventable causes. Traffic accidents suddenly become much more serious. A simple case of pneumonia becomes far more complex, and you will stop hearing stories about people surviving and recovering from heart attacks and strokes. There will be no more heroic measures taken to save the lives of those you care about... not because providers don’t want to, it’s because they just simply can’t.

Take this seriously. Start thinking now about how to improve your own resilience and limit your family’s risk to anything that could require a hospital visit. Stop thinking about fighting off “angry hoards of zombies” to protect your stash of toilet paper, and start thinking about how you can take care of your neighbors, and help out your community. Most importantly, start practicing hygiene and social distancing like your family’s and friend’s lives depend on it... because it does. Our own actions may now be the only thing left that can avert disaster.

I truly hope when this pops up in my feed a year from now we can all have a good laugh about how I was overreacting. Until then, dig deep and let’s pull though this together."

All this being said like others have said, the middle of the desert is one of the safest places we can all be.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Nope tl/dw

Not watching videos here. Use words here. I read way faster than people can talk. Is there a transcript somewhere I can read?

Just speed up the video to 2x. It is in the options

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
This is currently the situation in Italy. Just a week or two ago it was life as normal, but now nearly every hospital bed is being devoted to COVID cases so now treatment for normal stuff like broken limbs, or heart attacks, etc is all getting only basic care if any at all. There are even rumors that COVID patients over 65 years old are being triaged and left untreated in order to focus on a large number of 40-50 year old cases. Here is a facebook post from a friend of mine about the situation:

"Family and friends, I want to share my perspective on things in a way that might resonate with some of you. This is not meant to cause fear, panic, or motivate additional hoarding. It’s just meant to help you appreciate the seriousness of this pandemic.

I spent ~2 years navigating a dysfunctional health system as a flight paramedic in the developing world. During that time I learned what hospitals look like when they are completely overwhelmed. I remember the exhausted look on the faces of healthcare providers who had worked multiple consecutive shifts without a break. I know what it’s like to have to turn people away from seeking care due to a lack of resources. I have felt the guilt that comes with having to decide whether or not someone (who would have otherwise probably survived) should be placed on a ventilator when there are not nearly enough to go around. I know what it smells like when the morgues extend beyond their functional capacity.

If what has happened in Italy is any indication of what could happen here in the next several weeks, it’s going to overwhelm our hospital system to the point of temporary failure. I hope it won’t ever be as bad as what happens daily in many parts of the world, but If it does I can tell you several things with absolute certainty: This virus will take the lives of a great number of people, while many additional will die of normally preventable causes. Traffic accidents suddenly become much more serious. A simple case of pneumonia becomes far more complex, and you will stop hearing stories about people surviving and recovering from heart attacks and strokes. There will be no more heroic measures taken to save the lives of those you care about... not because providers don’t want to, it’s because they just simply can’t.

Take this seriously. Start thinking now about how to improve your own resilience and limit your family’s risk to anything that could require a hospital visit. Stop thinking about fighting off “angry hoards of zombies” to protect your stash of toilet paper, and start thinking about how you can take care of your neighbors, and help out your community. Most importantly, start practicing hygiene and social distancing like your family’s and friend’s lives depend on it... because it does. Our own actions may now be the only thing left that can avert disaster.

I truly hope when this pops up in my feed a year from now we can all have a good laugh about how I was overreacting. Until then, dig deep and let’s pull though this together."

All this being said like others have said, the middle of the desert is one of the safest places we can all be.

I once woke up with a poisonous snake in my sleeping bag. I was glad it was poisonous because seeing that encouraged me to keep calm, open the zipper the entire way and calmly roll away from it. The snake never moved until the idiots around me saw it and lost their minds. Your friend reminds me of those idiots in camp that morning.