Confession?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Block surface clean!! Well except for final pass to remove fuzz and last bits of oil and stuff. Head goes on tomorrow with help from a friend who does not have the corona virus!!!

FA540762-0908-4EBD-9075-847CCD2D904A.jpeg

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Engine hoist makes dropping the head back on a cake walk. But I also did it by myself and wasn't about to kill my back or break everything in the engine bay being clumsy.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
The hoist is a great idea, I might go un bury it from the barn if Drew’s not around

fjc man

Rising Sun Member
Marco, did you ajust / check your valve clearance on the bench, or do you have the shim tools to do that on the car? Just trying to learn a little about the 3fe. Bill

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Did you feel super stressed about pulling threads when torquing them down? I certainly was. 😂😂

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Marco, did you ajust / check your valve clearance on the bench, or do you have the shim tools to do that on the car? Just trying to learn a little about the 3fe. Bill

the 3FE lash is adjusted at the rocker arm. Totally different beast.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I always sweat when I torque head studs/bolts! Some of these felt funky but it is what it is. I'm going with it!

As far as the valve clearances go, with this 1FZ I think ideally you'd check them with the head bolted to the block and torqued... but I only checked them on the bench with the cams in. I'm gonna throw the cams back in now and won't check the valve clearances... BUT if it were a motor for somebody else I'd probably throw a feeler gauge in there after putting cams back in to double check that I was where I thought I was.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I always sweat when I torque head studs/bolts! Some of these felt funky but it is what it is. I'm going with it!

As far as the valve clearances go, with this 1FZ I think ideally you'd check them with the head bolted to the block and torqued... but I only checked them on the bench with the cams in. I'm gonna throw the cams back in now and won't check the valve clearances... BUT if it were a motor for somebody else I'd probably throw a feeler gauge in there after putting cams back in to double check that I was where I thought I was.
Did/do you chase them? I bought a fancy chasing die when I did the 22R-E and it was smooth like Velveeta with stock head bolts.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Now is a good time to do a rear heater delete on the heater hoses.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
O ya I chased the threads and checked that the bolts threaded in nice before getting after it. Bolts went in with oiled threads and washers.

It’ll be a good unit.

As far as the rear heater goes I’m kind of tempted to keep it. I actually love the rear heaters in the cruisers and any extra heat I feel like is always appreciated. So, to that end I’ve just been steadily replacing heater hoses. Last one for the engine bay shows up from Rock Auto hopefully next week. It’s the 90* discontinued one coming out of the firewall. I just found a gates 90* 1/2” hose for it for $5. After that I’ll have to find and replace the ones under the truck since those are the ones most likely to fail I guess..

subzali

Hard Core 4+

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Ahhhh, Got Mila and Allison down there right before Nap time to turn the key and no dice. turns over but no fire. getting plenty of fuel....

The big production foiled....

SO, I think it's an ignition timing issue. I spent a few minutes in between work and stuff to check fuses and plugs and it all looks good. Basically was denying it was a timing issue since, you know, there's no way I'd get that wrong. BUT, now that's what I'm hoping I did.

I'll get back down there in a bit and figure it out.