• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

CM2012 Leader training pre-run March 16-18, 2012

Mike,
What, you dont want the other members to know you refused to help another member off the trail? Where is the proper place to let members know you were not willing to help a stranded member off the trail when you you were done and loaded for the trip home? What ever Mike, you see it your way, we both know the truth, I refuse to wheel with you ever again! I personally DO NOT think your the man to lead or gun a trail and I will let everyone who ask know the FACT that you were done wheeling and refused to sell,loan or help when I was stranded on rocker knocker. Know I was not the only one there that heard you refuse help, so other people know the truth!
If you still want to discuss this in person I'd be more than happy to, as you refused to listen to me at the time. This is not what this thread is about.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
I thought the Hell's Gate and Escalator obstacles were verboten on our official runs due to permit restrictions?

I believe that is true for this year. But not next? Neil would be the one to ask. I do see us running Hells Gate again in the future at CM. Personally I just want to be confident on how to spot those obstacles. So if someone else wants to run Hells during the pre run, I'd just like someone who has spotted those things in the past to come too.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
89yotanut this is not the place for this discussion. If you have a comment, PM someone on the CM Committee. This thread is about planning for one of our activities.

I have to work an overnight shift Thursday night so I will be leaving Aspen at 7am Friday morning, should be in Moab around 11am or so, What CB channel are you guys running? Want to meet up with the group on trail Friday if I could. Staying at B.F.E. right?

:cheers:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Yes, we are staying at area BFE. I'm assuming you are not and want to meet us at a trailhead Friday am. At this point I would say meet us at the Hells Revenge trailhead at 9:30am. But we will confirm that.

I usually like to hit Hells Revenge as the first warm up trail and be back in town for lunch. We could re-group and hit another trail after that and\or look at Slickrock and conduct some CM business if needed.

I have to work an overnight shift Thursday night so I will be leaving Aspen at 7am Friday morning, should be in Moab around 11am or so, What CB channel are you guys running? Want to meet up with the group on trail Friday if I could. Staying at B.F.E. right?

:cheers:

Going to stay with the group at B.F.E. but won't get into Moab until 11am at the earliest on Friday. Just didn't want to miss out on Fridays fun!! Looking forward to the weekend and meeting some new people.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Ok sorry. I was in a hurry and wasn't reading your post correctly. We will be on CB channel 4 unless it's too busy. But, primarily on HAM 146460.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Ok, Ch. 4! Really want to learn about Ham radio and take the test this summer!!

If you have not heard it in use in person yet you'll want it even more after next weekend. CB is like using two bean cans and a string after HAM. I can talk with Area BFE from Monticello, UT while driving in from Durango. That's about 50 miles straight line.

That is awesome! So I havn't bought a CB for the 4runner should I just buy a Ham to listen in? I can't transmit without a License right? Then I would time to study and take the test before Cruise Moab.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I believe that is true for this year. But not next? Neil would be the one to ask. I do see us running Hells Gate again in the future at CM. Personally I just want to be confident on how to spot those obstacles. So if someone else wants to run Hells during the pre run, I'd just like someone who has spotted those things in the past to come too.

Spotting the Escalator is not to bad because there are very few things that can go wrong and I have tried them all;)

Now as for the Gate, that is a whole different story. I have done it and spotted it and it is still one that I cringe when I need to spot it. It is so easy for a driver to think they are OK and keep going on the lower section that they keep going, next thing they roll. Then there is the top section that is nearly the same way but to the other side.

Some great spotters to that section from are Gary W and Robbie, they know within inches of where to put your tires. I am closer to 6-8" :rolleyes: of where to put the tires. Good luck and hopefully somebody will be able to help, wish I was going :(

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
That is awesome! So I havn't bought a CB for the 4runner should I just buy a Ham to listen in? I can't transmit without a License right? Then I would time to study and take the test before Cruise Moab.

You will still need a CB, just buy an inexpesive one and then get a ham. And you are correct, you CAN NOT transmit without a license but you can listen.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
Leaving Thursday from Idaho Springs around 4PM with Zach! See ya at BFE!

Sascha, we can do Dome Plateau on the way home Sunday morning if some of the others do it Friday morning.

Bummed out!! Just got the call that I was 32nd on the list for San Rafael Swell overnight trip so I wasn't going to get to go! :eek: 20 rigs only. I was so looking forward to this trip, Oh well there is always next year. Looking forward to this up coming weekend. :thumb:

Bummed out!! Just got the call that I was 32nd on the list for San Rafael Swell overnight trip so I wasn't going to get to go! :eek: 20 rigs only. I was so looking forward to this trip, Oh well there is always next year. Looking forward to this up coming weekend. :thumb:

Pretty much have to be on your computer when registration opens. I didn't get a call so I assume Im in.

Well, I've been doing a couple last minute tweaks to the truck and It's ready to go for next week. Going wheeling with the club this Saturday probably Dome or nearby. I'll be leaving Thursday afternoon. I'd like to run chicken corners just to re-familiarize myself with it. Other than that I just want to go wheeling and hang. I was hoping to have my HAM license by now but wasn't able to schedule the test at a time that worked. I'll have it with me but I'll be transmitting on CB. If anyone needs a yard to camp in on the way you are welcome to stay in mine, it's quiet. See you guys Thursday night. If anyone is driving through GJ on Thursday afternoon I wouldn't mind the caravan.

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Some great spotters to that section from are Gary W and Robbie, they know within inches of where to put your tires.

Gary spotted me last year through the gate and I'll really like him to train me on spotting it. I did not lift a wheel. Well you were there.

Was at last nights met and heard about this! I'm definitely interested in leading or gunning. I will be there to meet up Thursday, can't wait to meet up!

Thanks,

Steven
(07 FJ Cruiser)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
You guys have fun. Sarah and I are going tomorrow. Rachel can't make it. So if you see a 100 series and an 80 series headed west on I-70 late tomorrow, that will be us.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
What's our plan for firewood this weekend?

I have some scraps I'll bring. Enough for one night's fire.

Do we have a final count and any proposed trails? I'd like to run the Dome Plateau route the same way we plan to run it at CM since I don't know that the way we informally ran it last year was the EJS EIS route. Since its 45 min or an hour from BFE to Dome (starts at Dewey Bridge) I'd like us to consider running it Friday, that way those of us who have to leave Denver later in the day could sleep anywhere from a hotel in GJ to camping at Rabbit Valley or Dewey Bridge and make the drive out easier Thursday. If you are at BFE Friday its still not a bad choice as we could meet at the trailhead at 9AM. I'm hesitant to run Dome Sunday AM as we don't know how long it will take and that could make for a very long drive home Sunday, but I'm willing to do that if we start early. I know a few guys drove home Sunday after Dome last year.

We could also make Saturday a Grand Tour day and run Dome and return to BFE by way of La Salle Mtn. pass, but that's a lot of pavement.

Other than Dome, I'm up for any trails.

Got the engine cooker and modified heat shield in last night and ready for the desert. My friend Doug will be joining us.