2020 40's Only Run August 22nd

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@nakman sounds like a plan. I don't know camping up that way, so whatever you recommend I'm good with. I'll probably be taking back roads to get up there, thinking maybe 5 hours for me. Good news is, the cruiser is packed and ready to go (just left my camping gear in there from my last trip last week). So I'll wake up and hit the road!
So you will basically want to aim for Rollinsville, then head west for 10 miles to the town of Tolland, turn left and go up the hill. The site I'm hoping to get is at 39°51'45.8"N 105°37'40.8"W or 39.862719, -105.628010. there are a bunch of other sites up there also if that one is occupied.

then in the morning you could drive back down the way you came to meet the group, or sit tight and they'll roll right past us.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Wow, its a whole new world then when I posted this thread.

Pizza and Beer in Idaho springs likely wont happen with this big a group. However, no reason you can't do it in a smaller group

Please bring masks. No need to wear them in your rigs, but would be respectful in the event we run into a circumstance social distancing isn't possible or you stop to get a snack on the way home.

I expect to move on about 9:15 aired down, but in 4 HI. Let me know if anyone will be late or that is an issue

I have run this trail, but it has been a few years and never led it. Don't feel bashful to tell me I went the wrong way :) I have a GPS track so I don't expect any issues

Remember it will be colder up on top so bring a jacket. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for any additional gear needed. We will still run if its raining, but you may want to have a top on your 40

Any questions, post them up

Looking forward to this run :)

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Wow, its a whole new world then when I posted this thread.

Pizza and Beer in Idaho springs likely wont happen with this big a group. However, no reason you can't do it in a smaller group

Please bring masks. No need to wear them in your rigs, but would be respectful in the event we run into a circumstance social distancing isn't possible or you stop to get a snack on the way home.

I expect to move on about 9:15 aired down, but in 4 HI. Let me know if anyone will be late or that is an issue

I have run this trail, but it has been a few years and never led it. Don't feel bashful to tell me I went the wrong way :) I have a GPS track so I don't expect any issues

Remember it will be colder up on top so bring a jacket. Keep an eye on the weather forecast for any additional gear needed. We will still run if its raining, but you may want to have a top on your 40

Any questions, post them up

Looking forward to this run :)

I've led it @Romer and can assist from your passenger's seat if I am still welcome. :)

Nelliefj40

New-ish
I had hoped to make it but just don't have a good way to get my 40 there. Maybe next year.

Enjoy everyone!

Woot. I'm in. First organized run -- coming up from Boulder. It's good to see an event that's closer than CO Springs, so special thinks in advance to the organizer of this event. How many 40's are estimated to rally at this point?

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
Looking like my schedule will work for this. Might camp Barbour fork as well after the run. I know a few good spots if people are interested.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So for the GPSally-challenged, here's a map to the camp site for anyone interested Friday night.

40s_only_camp.jpg

You're going to go to Rollinsville. then head west towards the Moffat Tunnel. after you slowly cruise through the small town of Tolland, turn left headed up Mammoth Gulch. Stay on the main road, always going uphill, until you see other FJ40's. that's probably us. At some point you'll see a directional sign telling you if you turn left you'll go to Apex- that's a good sign, it means don't turn left and you're only about 1/2 mile from the top, bear right. At another point you may see a large pond-like area behind a fence, filled with undulating dirt mounds... this is affectionately referred to as the "big puddle that's no longer a puddle." it used to be a puddle. We should be camped either just before, or just after this mysterious no-longer-a-puddle area... again look for some other vehicle that isn't a Jeep, and that's probably us. Open invite to anyone- regardless of vehicle. But you're going to need a 40, or need to hop in a 40, to join the run on Saturday. I'll be returning to the camp after the run if anyone needs a ride back to their abandoned non-40 IOW inferior vehicle Saturday afternoon.

@Romer @Mendocino how about I call out at 19:30 on Friday night on the ColCon and let you know how many we are, who's going back down to meet you, who's staying to wait for you, etc. I think they do a net at 19:00 so if that runs long then whenever that's done if not 7:30. Cell coverage up there is spotty at best but always a full quiet on 2m. :)

Attachments

• 40s_only_camp.jpg
    40s_only_camp.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
@Romer @Mendocino how about I call out at 19:30 on Friday night on the ColCon and let you know how many we are, who's going back down to meet you, who's staying to wait for you, etc. I think they do a net at 19:00 so if that runs long then whenever that's done if not 7:30. Cell coverage up there is spotty at best but always a full quiet on 2m. :)

Not something I ever call in to. We will roll at 9:15 -9:20AM and will call out on the HAM as we get closer so you should be able to pick us up as we get closer and join in all aired down. Sound good?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Not something I ever call in to. We will roll at 9:15 -9:20AM and will call out on the HAM as we get closer so you should be able to pick us up as we get closer and join in all aired down. Sound good?
yes sounds good! I'll still call out at 7:30