• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What have you done to your rig today?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Install of cb is 95% complete! Just need a spring and stud (I think that's it). Then to tune the antenna. Anyone know how to do that?🤔🤣

coax

Hard Core 4+
Wait, what? Can you summarize? I've always thought WIX was OK. I see mention of an issue in @coax's thread but don't see an explanation of what in the filter failed. I have a WIX filter in the garage for the Tacoma that I got with a jug of oil. I normally use Toyota filters (Denso from Thailand) and don't plan to change but figured I'd use that WIX some day.

Yea there have been a bunch of folks on Mud who have experienced the issue. (Maybe a "bunch" isn't correct but enough to see a pattern with just that user group. Much to the surprise of folks when told to "try a new filter" and they get pressure back, unfortunately much too late and engine is roached

To summarize: the wix oil filters both an anti drain back and a bypass valve. The 80 series 1fz has two oil pressure relief valves in the oil circuit. one of them is immediately post oil pump which dumps right back into pan if pressure too high. The other one is further down the line in the circuit (on the PS side of the block as part of the oil cooler after the filter). If a failure in the oil filter does not allow for sufficient flow through the filter itself, there is no path to keep oiling the engine with unfiltered oil. Couple this issue with the fact most 1fz engine oil pressure senders and the subharness are so corroded most don't accurately reflect pressure. (I subesquently replaced both the sender and the sub harness when I rebuilt)

In essence it relies on the bypass within the filter. The suspicion is that something either doesn't allow for oil flow into the filter (stuck antidrainback valve) or that it doesn't allow oil out (stuck relief valve). Then the pump just circulates oil back into the pan.

In my instance there was an ever so slight amount of oil getting through the circuit but far less than there should have been.

Interestingly enough, there are a number of companies that do UOA on the oil to predict or confirm engine/component failure, but very few that acutally do mechanic failure analysis of components. I got the guys at blackstone to agree to do a one-off assessment of my filter even though thats not a typical service. They essentially found "nothing". I was pretty disapointed, just because I was generally curious to know what had happened. So...even though it is 100% clear to me that changing only one part of the system (the filter) clearly showed the filter was the issue, I still don't know what exactly in the filter went bad. I am also not aware of anyone else with a bad filter being able to ascertain what the failed component was. Personal guess is that bad rubber used in anti drain back valve and it got brittle/jammed/etc. I just don’t see a filter getting clogged enough in a 1fz , that is very easy on oil, during a standard oci, that 80psi wouldn’t push enough oil through the media if the pressure valve failed shut. That would be a super clogged filter.

On the plus side, both 15601-44011 and 90915-YZZD4 are cheap on partsouq ($8/$4) so I will now just stock up on those. My mistake was not having some on hand to use vs. the napa which was readily available when I needed to change the oil.

A few diagrams from 'mud.

landcruiser-1fzfe-oiling-system-2-gif.832001

Note the two double arrows "inside" the filter indicating the two paths (normal+bypass) within the filter. However, only one path into, and one path out of the filter. So any obstruction in the filter not allowing flow (filtered or unfiltered) will cause this issue and starve the whole engine.
Seems like toyota designed the system to account for not overpressurizing an oil filter but didn't account for having a filter that just didn't flow oil.

landcruiser-1fzfe-oiling-system-jpg.832002

Last edited:

coax

Hard Core 4+
Kurt, you’ve seen the reports of wix filters toasting engines here and on mud right? Would suggest getting the right filter on there as soon as you get a chance.
Yes pull that thing off there, waste the 5 bucks and get a Toyota filter on there as soon as you can :)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
@coax, thanks for the details. That's a curious one! Seems like the bypass inside it must be closed and the media is too restrictive, thus pushing the oil pump's relief valve open and just cycling oil back into the pan.

I'm guessing since it's not an isolated case but apparently a pattern that the bypass plus restrictive media is a design issue with the 1FZ application. Has anyone checked the part number for other applications? It might be wrongly listed as correct for an 1FZ and is actually designed for a higher pressure oil pump.

ETA: WIX lists 4 numbers for the 1FZ: 51515, 51515XP, 51348 and 51348XP. Which did you use and is it the same one all other failures are using?

Both the 51348 (this is the one they suggest for my 4.0L 1GR V6) and 51515 (this is the one that also fits Fords) are listed as 8 to 11 psi bypass with a beta ratio of 2/20=6/20. Slight difference in burst pressure (275 and 290 psi respectively, so system 90 psi is far below that). The beta ratio means that both are supposed to catch 50% of 6 micron and 95% of 20 micron particles.

I have no idea how those compare to Toyota/Denso or generic Denso or really Baldwin or Purolator for that matter. I'll have to do more digging.

Just a point of reference, Olathe (Kansas) Toyota parts department did some comparisons on Tundra oil filters. There's nothing definitive or applicable really just interesting.

Last edited:

L43dean

Rising Sun Member
Install of cb is 95% complete! Just need a spring and stud (I think that's it). Then to tune the antenna. Anyone know how to do that?🤔🤣
Right Channel Radios have a good write-up in their tech section.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
While it wasn’t today, last weekend I finally installed my new BIOR dual swingout bumper. I was on the fence between it and the 4x4 labs, but ultimately decided to stay semi-local. Mike was great to work with and it’s clear he takes a ton of pride in his craftsmanship. I went into it thinking this would be the easiest project I’ve tackled over the last few weeks - how could it be harder than swapping out my suspension and lower control arms - but it took me most of day due to the condition of the threads and trying to muscle it around on my own. The thing is a beast.

CAA81BB1-5FA2-475B-9C2E-8BB5F93DBBBA.jpeg

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
While it wasn’t today, last weekend I finally installed my new BIOR dual swingout bumper. I was on the fence between it and the 4x4 labs, but ultimately decided to stay semi-local. Mike was great to work with and it’s clear he takes a ton of pride in his craftsmanship. I went into it thinking this would be the easiest project I’ve tackled over the last few weeks - how could it be harder than swapping out my suspension and lower control arms - but it took me most of day due to the condition of the threads and trying to muscle it around on my own. The thing is a beast.
That bumper looks awesome! I installed my rear bumper on my own as well - it's not fun, that's for sure!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Timing belt on the GX470. While in there: all coolant hoses, New coolant, PCV Valve, Alternator brushes, PS fluid reservoir top off, passenger front turn signal light bulb, radiator cap, thermostat, serpentine belt, fan pulley bracket, water pump.

Good for another 100,000 miles.

The timing belt was in amazing shape. Had 100k on it and probably would have been good another 100k.

I had a professional do the heavy lifting. Shout out to @Three Wheel Ben Man, he was impressive to watch.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Been building my Tacoma a rear bumper using the 3rd gen 🌮 rear bumper kit from Coastal Offroad. Pretty happy how it's turning out. Been quite the struggle trying to finish this week and learning a lot. More pics and news will follow as work progresses.

Thanks Jimmy, Dom, and Chase for your help!!

Allen

20201207_205736.jpg
20201209_221939.jpg20201211_143619.jpg20201211_232717.jpg20201213_151748.jpg20201214_164159.jpg20201216_204516.jpg

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Been building my Tacoma a rear bumper using the 3rd gen 🌮 rear bumper kit from Coastal Offroad. Pretty happy how it's turning out. Been quite the struggle trying to finish this week and learning a lot. More pics and news will follow as work progresses.

Thanks Jimmy, Dom, and Chase for your help!!

Allen

View attachment 91258View attachment 91259View attachment 91260View attachment 91261View attachment 91262View attachment 91263View attachment 91264
NICE!! Lookin good Allen!

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Many many thanks everyone for the support! Admittedly moral has been low at times. But yeah pushing through and definitely helps to have friends lend a helping hand (virtually and physically).

The other night I went to Chase Mart & Jimmy Zone. With Chase, Jimmy, and Kendall (Chase's friend) we zipped up most of the full welds. Big thanks you three!

There's two interior gussets remaining that require the bumper be pulled off. I'm also thinking through modifying the corners that stick out way past the fender flares, then ankle grinder plus flap disk the less pretty welds and powder coating (grinder & paint makes me the welder I ain't as AvE would say). Maybe also plan for pod lights or something.

But anyway at the moment I'm driving to LA to be with my parents. They're very important to me. So work on this rear bumper will continue once I'm back in CO. Probably by the second week of Jan. But I do have a quick project I took with me to work with my dad :D I'll post it soon!

Thanks again everyone and take care!
Allen
20201217_185046.jpg
20201217_185015.jpg
20201220_081229.jpg
20201219_134311.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Many many thanks everyone for the support! Admittedly moral has been low at times. But yeah pushing through and definitely helps to have friends lend a helping hand (virtually and physically).

The other night I went to Chase Mart & Jimmy Zone. With Chase, Jimmy, and Kendall (Chase's friend) we zipped up most of the full welds. Big thanks you three!

There's two interior gussets remaining that require the bumper be pulled off. I'm also thinking through modifying the corners that stick out way past the fender flares, then ankle grinder plus flap disk the less pretty welds and powder coating (grinder & paint makes me the welder I ain't as AvE would say). Maybe also plan for pod lights or something.

But anyway at the moment I'm driving to LA to be with my parents. They're very important to me. So work on this rear bumper will continue once I'm back in CO. Probably by the second week of Jan. But I do have a quick project I took with me to work with my dad :D I'll post it soon!

Thanks again everyone and take care!
Allen
Looking great! And Kendall is great to work with. He was down at Dave's with us yesterday. Enjoy the family!

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I did the rear brakes on the 1998 4 Runner. Sorry, no pics. :(

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Allen inspired me to make some molle interior window panels and kindly donated some material. End result turned out awesome and totally functional! I even added a small basket to one side for holding stuff I use a lot.

That's awesome Jimmy!! Super glad they turned out so good and they're being put to good use :D

Allen

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Fun with tires. Got some new ARB products for xmas from the better half for airing up and airing down. Also spent some time test fitting chains on the rear tires. They fit perfectly and now i am familiar with them.Thanks to @On the RX and @bassguyry for the hookup
20201226_134412.jpg
20201226_134248.jpg
20201226_134258.jpg