• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

What have you done to your rig today?

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Delta arms went on. Easy install when you don't drop them in your fingers.
20201206_131429.jpg

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Spent some time on the 82 Pickup. Installed a P/S set-up and replaced the "wood grain" dash panel along with a vintage Audiovox radio. No more strong arm steering!
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Cleaning up the signal switch on the 40 was short lived. Right signal stopped working again, I guess I'll tear in to it again and check the spring tension under the contactors. I should have cleaned that up as well...

Changed the oil on the 81 this weekend...The filter I got from Stevenson (ordered, and waited over a week for) was the wrong filter...Luckily I was able to get a WIX filter in the next day from Oreily's. I have a couple of the "right" filters on order again, from Stevenson for the next time around....A two-day oil change....Yeah, it was frustrating.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Awesome! where did you end up finding the box?
Found all the components, except the gearbox, from a guy in Yuma, CO. The Yuma guy connected me with a kid in South Dakota who sold me a box. Both really helped me out with the costs...all in for $200. They both said "we just want to see these old Toyota's stay on the road". Nice!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Cleaning up the signal switch on the 40 was short lived. Right signal stopped working again, I guess I'll tear in to it again and check the spring tension under the contactors. I should have cleaned that up as well...

Changed the oil on the 81 this weekend...The filter I got from Stevenson (ordered, and waited over a week for) was the wrong filter...Luckily I was able to get a WIX filter in the next day from Oreily's. I have a couple of the "right" filters on order again, from Stevenson for the next time around....A two-day oil change....Yeah, it was frustrating.
Kurt, you’ve seen the reports of wix filters toasting engines here and on mud right? Would suggest getting the right filter on there as soon as you get a chance.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Kurt, you’ve seen the reports of wix filters toasting engines here and on mud right? Would suggest getting the right filter on there as soon as you get a chance.

I used to run Napa Gold or Platinum filters in everything I owned (20+ years now). I always had a hard knock on a cold start that I thought was the PAIR valve. Once I bypassed that and it did not go away my attention went to the filter. Picked up a Toyota filter on the last oil change. Knock still occurs occasionally, but it is much shorter lived.

My .02

subzali

Hard Core 4+

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Thanks for the heads up Matt. I was under the impression Wix had a decent filter....same as the Napa gold and platinum. I removed a Drive Joy filter...Japan filter....hopefully my new filters from Stevenson will be here this week

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally got around to installing my inverter and GMRS radio. :headbang:

Couldn't find my heatshrink tubing, so I'll have to redo the connections at some point, but overall, both the radio and inverter went in relatively painlessly.

Attachments

• IMG_3900.JPG
    IMG_3900.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3901.JPG
    IMG_3901.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 141

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I keep walking into the garage to see if it has warmed up yet to change some fluids... it hasn't so within the next hour I'll crawl under and drain the rear diff and engine oil... maybe.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Wait, what? Can you summarize? I've always thought WIX was OK. I see mention of an issue in @coax's thread but don't see an explanation of what in the filter failed. I have a WIX filter in the garage for the Tacoma that I got with a jug of oil. I normally use Toyota filters (Denso from Thailand) and don't plan to change but figured I'd use that WIX some day.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
There have been several loss of oil pressure threads on mud, with the common thread being a Wix oil filter. Probably could never be proven, but seems suspicious...

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
2nd oil change after airlocker install, 1st was at 500 miles.
Diff oil change with 2500 miles on it. Clean oil pan prior to drain. .
2mm of metal shavings on the drain plug.
Does this seem too dirty for diff oil after this few of miles?
20201212_184200.jpg
Second photo is of the smear on white.
16078240070147135401533963901183.jpg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Replaced my ignition switch. After the fact I do not think this is the source of my intermittent won't start hot issue but after 330,000 miles I'm ok with the replacement anyway. We'll see if the problem is fixed or not (and my starter solenoid is known good).

Fixed a burned out ECT dash bulb, replaced broken center heater vents,

Cleaned out a bunch of Baja silt! :cool:

White Stripe

Hard Core 4+
Been doing some refreshing on my 6.0 motor to upgrade from the 5.3 on my 80 series. I kind of regret the decision because its costing more than planned. I did some port work on the heads while waiting for parts to show up. I also ported the oil pump too. Here are some b4 and after pics.
20201209_170828.jpg
20201209_180315.jpg
20201015_183056.jpg
20201202_180900.jpg