What have you done to your rig today?

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
I replaced the original tailgate carpet last year with a line-x covered one from Trekboxx. Liked it much more, but since I use my truck for bird hunting, I found that the line x was too slippery for my dogs to be able to jump on it and not slide out. This is even worse when the dog is wet and it is either raining or snowing. Despite the feedback from trekboxx that SeaDek it too fragile as a cover, I thought I would give it a try to make the tailgate more comfortable for my dogs and my butt while I rest on it. Found a 38” by 18” piece on eBay for $60 (cheaper to buy direct from SeaDek) and cut it to fit. Tried to bevel the back edge so that it slides under the plastic piece that covers the gap when the tailgate is open, but might need to break in. Will report back after it has been subjected to some abuse.
824DCEA8-A0BE-4B65-82ED-73762133814B.jpeg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
How do you post a quick video? Trying to do it from my iPhone.
The LS fires up tonight. Still a long way to go, but she fired right up once we grounded one wire we over looked.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Put in 3° axle shims trying to chase down the last bit of driveline vibration. Finger's crossed.

IMG_1492_mid.jpg

FWIW, removing the center carrier bearing drop/shim improved the vibration. I put that in when I did the rear springs since it was suggested by ARB. At the time it didn't seem to help or hurt so I just left them. But with the driveshaft being rebuilt and balanced it turns out I think dropping the carrier bearing made the front half into the t-case vibrate without doing anything to fix the rear half.

Also did new eye bushings in the spring eyes. They're fancy red Northwest Offroad poly bushings I had in the parts box. Not that you can tell with the grease on them now.

IMG_1493_mid.jpg

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Started this project during the peak of COVID then got side tracked
95EF5530-6AB2-4702-9B90-439418B0C398.jpeg
65CE04FC-5BD0-4617-9CFD-FE2A795DF1D4.jpeg
B49601DF-8C0D-4C38-BEF1-D91281F86517.jpeg
C49B2B61-36DF-45D6-95AF-58F6C47EA580.jpeg
with a chicken coop..... but I had a bunch of rust around my windshield, so I cut the old gasket and removed the windshield in one piece (even though it was cracked) with in 5 min. Ground down all the rust and sprayed it with rem oil until the weather was good enough to finish. I ended up using POR15 (which is thick and requires a lot of prep) on the whole windshield channel and surrounding area. Once windshield is in (Toyota gasket being used) I will sand down and spray the POR15 with something to protect it from the UV rays. Not to worried about looks as I plan on painting the whole rig at the end of hunting season this year. (Thought I had a pic of it ground down to mostly bare metal)

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a really good job on the welds! Is this something you do for work or is this something you just did?
Thanks! Taught myself with YouTube and practice. Tbh not all welds look like that, I'm still hit and miss depending on the joint quality and material. Also I need to be in zen mode, since Tig is like patting my head rubbing my belly and chewing gum at the same time. Really like how much more refined and clean welds are with Tig.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Started this project during the peak of COVID then got side trackedView attachment 86563View attachment 86564View attachment 86565View attachment 86566 with a chicken coop..... but I had a bunch of rust around my windshield, so I cut the old gasket and removed the windshield in one piece (even though it was cracked) with in 5 min. Ground down all the rust and sprayed it with rem oil until the weather was good enough to finish. I ended up using POR15 (which is thick and requires a lot of prep) on the whole windshield channel and surrounding area. Once windshield is in (Toyota gasket being used) I will sand down and spray the POR15 with something to protect it from the UV rays. Not to worried about looks as I plan on painting the whole rig at the end of hunting season this year. (Thought I had a pic of it ground down to mostly bare metal)
I'm going to have to do this soon. I'm pretty scared to find out how bad it actually is once I pull the everything out. Good job on yours by the way!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
I'm going to have to do this soon. I'm pretty scared to find out how bad it actually is once I pull the everything out. Good job on yours by the way!
join the crowd...i have three spots all around my w/s. been driving with a massively cracked windshield for two years waiting to get off my butt and fix the rust.

Basaltfj40

Trail Ready
Mine was pretty bad and was afraid myself, but the metal around there is surprisingly thick, I used grinding disks then sanding wheels. At one point had a donor vehicle that I was going to cut and weld..... it just dig in. Getting the windshield out was easy.... razor blade and 5 min of time

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Doing a full tune up with Toyota wires and plugs. New distributor cap and rotor. Replaced my rear heater lines plus a new heater control valve. My old one was in decent shape after 26 years. Doesn't look like it was ever changed before. The flange on the inlet side is missing from my old one.

20200619_145305.jpg

Fisher67

Rising Sun Member
Had a bulb go out in my Hella Black Magic 1000 driving lights. Did a little research that I could replace the H2 55w bulbs with H2 100w hella bulbs for a little better light. Some posts indicated that the more powerful bulbs had twice the draw of the 55w bulbs, but would be OK with a lighting harness designed to carry the heavy load. Went back and looked at Slee invoice from installing lights and looks like they put in an upgraded harness, so went for it and ordered the 100w bulbs and 2 spares.

pretty easy install and will wait for tonight to check how many lux are coming out of the lights now. Wish I had gone with LED lights from the get go, but have always had Hellas on my trucks in the past and liked the look of the black Magic’s.

getting the morimoto LED hi and low beams lit up almost make driving lights unnecessary, as they are amazing. Lit everything up in a rainstorm going hunting last fall in rural Nebraska and it was almost like daylight!
343FEF8B-D132-4043-9342-48B1E5A64568.jpeg

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Chipping away. Starting to look more like a LX450 again. Shifter and exhaust are really the only major things left to do. Still a lot of little things though. Hope to have it at the exhaust shop before 7/4
5A38E085-99C8-4366-A06A-09218CF14504.jpeg
B226E92C-1F5E-4FE0-9AC0-ACB42DC357CA.jpeg
A9CA8319-54FC-4ED9-8FC2-8239F9C90D3A.jpeg
1AA07602-A6BF-4232-B4F9-E54CBC62B287.jpeg
0E73F892-F7C3-4437-8180-B0622713841E.jpeg
32842C2D-7BD9-4F94-96D9-D6A54E6E5F6E.jpeg

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
not today, but the other day, i ran home for lunch and found i can change the oil and filter in the tundra and be back before my hour is up. then after work ran home and did a five tire rotation in the hour before heading to one of the mechanics houses to check out a car he'd bought for a coworker