What have you done to your rig today?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I finished up my cheap winch rebuild with a new 3/8" fiber core cable and swivel hook and mounted it to a hitch receiver mount. I figure it might come in handy some day. All in less than $200. I made an adapter for alligator clips so that it can be used on someone else's truck real easy. I used my wife's car to spool in the new cable, she didn't mind...too much.

75' cable: https://amzn.to/2S5eWyN

R1lKgnj.jpg

was a greasy mess

8Em09wt.jpg

YkwQe1S.jpg

f7TxsXZ.jpg

seuUBsi.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Borla exhaust!

I highly recommend decending a parking garage with high-end cars in 1st and letting off the gas to get that sweet rumble... you won't be disappointed by the songs of the jealous cars parked in their spots!

Connelly80FJ40

Wincher
I like
I swapped rims/tires on the 40, went from the silver ones to a set of white spokes. White spoke is period correct for the 82, but aside from that I'm still debating which I like better... and is white so much better that it's worth buying a set of tires for, as the ones on them now have some pretty old dates. Third option is I could plasti dip the rims white, which would match the front bezel, they're currently a cream color (cygnus white). what do you guys think?

before (grey) with hubcaps
View attachment 84719

after (creamy white)
View attachment 84720
I like the whites!

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Winch upgrade on the taco. Installed warn vr10k with synthetic rope and hawse fairlead in place of badlands 12k w steel cable and rollers. The badlands winch works fine but line speed was too slow. I really like the free spool lever on the warn, easy 90° turn. boxed it up the BL and will set it aside for the wife's 4x4. Also replaced the passenger side rear drum shoe adjuster that had seized
20200425_113719.jpg
20200425_113729.jpg

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Winch upgrade on the taco. Installed warn vr10k with synthetic rope and hawse fairlead in place of badlands 12k w steel cable and rollers. The badlands winch works fine but line speed was too slow. I really like the free spool lever on the warn, easy 90° turn. boxed it up the BL and will set it aside for the wife's 4x4. Also replaced the passenger side rear drum shoe adjuster that had seizedView attachment 85452View attachment 85447
@DomOfTheDead that looks like "foot down" instead of "foot forward." If you could rotate the entire assembly 90 degrees and mount it foot forward it would be stronger and you could see the drum while winching.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
@DomOfTheDead that looks like "foot down" instead of "foot forward." If you could rotate the entire assembly 90 degrees and mount it foot forward it would be stronger and you could see the drum while winching.

Thanks Jeff. I am poking around with this idea after you suggested it. With the grill on, access to the winch control port and spool lever is pretty tight foot down. I would prefer foot forward especially for being able to see the wraps on the spool. I can relocate the control box but it puts the free spool lever out of reach. The opening between the grill and bumper is only big enough to fit my forearm through.
20200426_162739.jpg
20200426_162637.jpg
20200426_185111.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Jeff. I am poking around with this idea after you suggested it. With the grill on, access to the winch control port and spool lever is pretty tight foot down. I would prefer foot forward especially for being able to see the wraps on the spool. I can relocate the control box but it puts the free spool lever out of reach. The opening between the grill and bumper is only big enough to fit my forearm through. View attachment 85508View attachment 85509View attachment 85510
You should be able to unbolt the clutch assembly and turn it 90° to face the direction you want.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
Winch upgrade on the taco. Installed warn vr10k with synthetic rope and hawse fairlead in place of badlands 12k w steel cable and rollers.

That's the same winch I'm looking at getting for my 4Runner. Where'd you end up getting yours?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
That's the same winch I'm looking at getting for my 4Runner. Where'd you end up getting yours?

Sorry to say, got mine from Amazon. $725 roughly. I was going to give 4wheel parts the business but I have had such bad experiences with multiple stores that i went elsewhere.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
You should be able to unbolt the clutch assembly and turn it 90° to face the direction you want.
Cool. I will try this out, i really don't like not being able to see the spool

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Took off the hard top, installed the half doors and new bikini top...Summer ready now....

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Little this. Little that.
Thread drift here but assuming this is a t-case from an 80 series? So I'm wondering if that's the center diff with I'm guessing a cross pin I'm looking at? What is the orientation? IOW is that the front or back, does the rear driveshaft drop from the right gear set? Just curious really, if you're willing to add context and explain.

B3A787CF-8F01-4884-8252-D2F3CAC995ED.jpeg

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
Trying to give the engine compartment some love before engine install. New rear heater lines, refreshed split loom (lots of slimy old electricians tape replaced with silicone) and started doing work necessary for converting the starter from 24v to 12v. Very tempted to install the engine next weekend, since the remaining to-dos can be done in the cruiser, and my 3 remaining international orders necessary to get it running are all delayed indefinitely :( Going to try to do the install on my lonesome. At least the wife will be around to hear my cursing.

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 3.16.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 3.17.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 3.17.28 PM.png

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Managed to figure out a way to store my camping table in the rear of my 100. I stole the idea from a few Mud users who had installed similar storage shelving in the rear of their rigs. It consists of an 84" length of Rubbermaid wire shelving (cut down to about 58"), some bolts and big ass washers, bolted in to the former rear handle locations. After measuring and cutting the shelving, I used a BFH to bend the sides to allow enough clearance for the table.

I've since added an old army blanket underneath the table (to eliminate noise) and secured it with two short ratchet straps (the bungee cables were just to hold the table in place while I found a more permanent/secure solution). The shelving is super secure and should withstand some serious wheeling.

Between this mod, the drawers, and an all-weather bag that will be secured on the roof rack, I've got the vast majority of my camping gear stowed without impacting any seating inside the rig. It's pretty much ready to hit the trails at a moment's notice. Super stoked about that. :)

BY4boJa.jpg

ex74xRn.jpg

vR83mB9.jpg

T2hoB5u.jpg

G1Yrh6M.jpg