What have you done to your rig today?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
@fyffer - did your Carquest shoes only last 6 months? If so, that's rather shocking. FJ60 drum brakes are not much fun - good job on cleaning up the mess.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
@fyffer - did your Carquest shoes only last 6 months? If so, that's rather shocking. FJ60 drum brakes are not much fun - good job on cleaning up the mess.
So only the Driver rear front shoe was affected all others were good. I blame the installer, me or possibly the Cylinder or even the ER wire correctly?
But if I change them I do it all around same brand shoes, cause thats what I do.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Nice work, did you lube the bellcrank? Those things tend to collect debris under the boot and get harder to move. The last set of shoes I did on that truck lasted quite a while.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Nice work, did you lube the bellcrank? Those things tend to collect debris under the boot and get harder to move. The last set of shoes I did on that truck lasted quite a while.
Yeah, I cleaned the Housing, boot and added some grease to it. It was not horribly dirty to start with.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
A month ago a concrete guy helped me seal a few seams and cracks in my driveway. Yesterday I decided to apply what I learned from sealing my driveway with that guy to seal the seams in my garage. Most of all I wanted to make the floor easier to roll on in my creeper.

I realize my garage isn't my rig, however, my garage enables all the work I do to my rig. Without the garage it'd be like changing your oil without an oil filter wrench, lolz!!

The Sika sealant takes 3-5 days to fully cure. Plus it'll take some time to tell how it lasts. So it's not 100% clear how it'll be once in service. But based on the cured stuff in the driveway I feel it should be better than having the big gaping seams and last well enough. If not, I have a backup plan I can fall back onto.

Allen

Attachments

• 20220925_140219.jpg
    20220925_140219.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220925_152249.jpg
    20220925_152249.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220925_155733.jpg
    20220925_155733.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220925_152301.jpg
    20220925_152301.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 68

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Well, we installed new ALCAN front springs, steering damper/ stabilizer and OME front shocks today, much thanks to @PhatFJ for the help, expertice and few mods needed to get it done.
Driver side was in worse shape than realized, damned glad its done.
7187836B-7239-4514-9830-1AAA4AF300FE.jpeg
AA84A856-CD6B-4956-A087-D44B7FB8F63C.jpeg
1DAC71C1-9C1C-4395-A9F9-AD41CB9D227C.jpeg
74E91E77-FE00-445E-B001-1C905286EBD6.jpeg
9DA4242A-EC95-4902-98FB-A03791A2D67F.jpeg
7187836B-7239-4514-9830-1AAA4AF300FE.jpeg
AA84A856-CD6B-4956-A087-D44B7FB8F63C.jpeg
1DAC71C1-9C1C-4395-A9F9-AD41CB9D227C.jpeg
74E91E77-FE00-445E-B001-1C905286EBD6.jpeg
9DA4242A-EC95-4902-98FB-A03791A2D67F.jpeg

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Well, we installed new ALCAN front springs, steering damper/ stabilizer and OME front shocks today, much thanks to @PhatFJ for the help, expertice and few mods needed to get it done.
Driver side was in worse shape than realized, damned glad its done.View attachment 107930View attachment 107931View attachment 107932View attachment 107933View attachment 107934View attachment 107930View attachment 107931View attachment 107932View attachment 107933View attachment 107934
What made you go Alcan?

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
What made you go Alcan?
Previous owner @rover67 done the due diligence and research for me and I trust it a LOT (got tons of invoices for the build at purchase) and from another knowledgeable source. I called them with and Invoice number from 2011. They knew about the extra 300# carried up front which I would have not ever even thought about, seriously important to leaf spring build.
Damper and shocks from invoices as well, thanks Marco.

Oh. front end raised 1.5" .

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@allen.wrench I'm curious how well this works, how hard does it get? If you can roll the creeper over it great, but better yet could the floor jack roll over it when it needs to scoot forward that last little bit to to lift the tires? will the floor jack crack it? it looks really soft in the pictures but I'm sure that's because it was at the time.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Well Im literally screwed, attempting to adjust ER brake some. It got worse by the minute. Im pretty damned sure I got it in right, but heck no, to driver rear.
Problem solving time, go back to check, remove most of the install. The ratchet bolt was all the way in, explains some. Checked a previous one to compare. Shit, discovered an opposite travel direction turning the bolt.

Top one is from Man Afree (no bueno), bottom from previous install from Carquest packet deal.
Shoes still good after about a 6 mile drive, from Oreilley’s.
From now on I will only get either OEM or from Carquest.
I share because I don’t want anyone to have to deal with some of these headaches.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Well Im literally screwed, attempting to adjust ER brake some. It got worse by the minute. Im pretty damned sure I got it in right, but heck no, to driver rear.
Problem solving time, go back to check, remove most of the install. The ratchet bolt was all the way in, explains some. Checked a previous one to compare. Shit, discovered an opposite travel direction turning the bolt.

Top one is from Man Afree (no bueno), bottom from previous install from Carquest packet deal.
Shoes still good after about a 6 mile drive, from Oreilley’s.
From now on I will only get either OEM or from Carquest.
I share because I don’t want anyone to have to deal with some of these headaches.
Well I cant upload vid to illustrate, dont help much.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Bummer @fyffer thanks for sharing to help others avoid the same heartache. Wish I was closer to help out.

@nakman yea. I'm not 100% sure how it'll support real weight on small wheels like a floor jack under load. Based on the driveway sealing the Sika sealant does harden a decent amount. About the hardness of an eraser. It also seems like it sticks strong and stretches a lot before tearing. The intent being the sealant can handle the breathing of the slabs over time.

To handle vertical load I filled most of the seams' height with silica sand, and the Sika sealant is at most 1/8"-1/4" thickness. My idea being the sand would help handle a lot of load instead of the sealant.

The instructions say 3-5 days for full cure and today is about 3 days since I laided the sealant. It feels pretty hard so far, about the same as the driveway. After another few days I'll try rolling my creeper around and heavier stuff too.

Time will tell how it'll workout. This is the first ever time I've tried. I am lucky the seams are limited in number and located where a jack normally won't need to go most of the time (middle of my truck). But still, any previous experience from others is welcome to plan ahead.

Allen

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
New to the forum and the area. Not sure if this counts but I installed some ceiling winches to take the RTT on and off as needed.

That's really cool. Do you need to wrap straps around the RTT every time you use the ceiling winches, or are those part of the RTT?

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Fresh steering rack bushings lead to new tie rod outers. The tool from the parts store smooshed the top of the studs on both outers. I didn't notice until I went to reinstall. So, new outers... yeh! Mirrored the jam nut locations. Rocking a deep V and super sketchy to drive right now. Fresh alignment coming up.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
@fyffer - 300lbs plus an extra 1.5”, makes sense. Just asking because I’m considering going with custom Alcans for my shackle reversal up front. I want the springs longer and flatter than stock but rated for an extra 100-200lb constant load. One day…
I had Alcan's on my 60 in the late 90's. 100% loved them.
@allen.wrench I'm curious how well this works, how hard does it get? If you can roll the creeper over it great, but better yet could the floor jack roll over it when it needs to scoot forward that last little bit to to lift the tires? will the floor jack crack it? it looks really soft in the pictures but I'm sure that's because it was at the time.
I have used Sika self leveling garage sealant many times. Good stuff. It eventually will pull away from the edges a bit. Sand will eventually settle farther into the control joints. But it will last a long time and be better than the large control joint. @nakman it will stretch enough to not crack.

I installed a https://www.deltavs.com/all-products/fj-fzj80-lx450-panhard-lift-bracket I'll report back after driving

Before:
IMG_3264.jpg

After:
IMG_3282.jpg

damon

Vice Commander
Cruise Moab Committee

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Awesome to hear @Inukshuk you've had good results! Makes sense in the long run with time, wear, and tear taking their toll.

The Sika sealant instructions say 3-5 days to cure. Yesterday I had a chance to test it out (yesterday being at 7 days after the pour assuring full cure). I rolled around on my creeper putting most of my weight on one caster. It rolled in straight lines great. The only noticeable hangup was with having a caster turn while on the sealant and have all my weight on it. Could be a small annoyance, but still better than before. I also tried rolling my welding cart, shop vac, and floor jack around. All relatively light, but all the same, it was significantly better than before when the control joint was about 1" wide and 1" deep (they're big joints, idk why). If nothing else, the sealant will help keep dirt collecting in the joints, makes cleaning easier, and helps keep water w/salt (in the winter time) from attacking the rebar and soil underneath. Also, altogether it was around $100 in materials/tools and 3-4 hours of time.

I'm totally happy with this upgrade. Picture attached from yesterday when I vacuumed the excess sand and to record what materials/tools & quantity I used. I hope this helps others.

Allen

Attachments

• 20221001_110314.jpg
    20221001_110314.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69