• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Tire talk

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
@DomOfTheDead what did you use to sipe them? Looks like a fun project.
It's top knotch redneck fun! 😜 I
I still use the same one I bought 14 years ago and have used it on many sets of tires. I have a 3 different head sizes I use and simply invert the blade direction to sipe instead of groove. Takes about 25 mins per tire depending on what you are doing. The 240v model probably outperforms the 120v design but maneuverability through just a higher amp extension cord is nice. For reference, I used a #4 head with round blades for this cut.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Dang, that is a lot cheaper than a new set of tires! :hill:

PhillyB77

Just got the RAZR's mounted today, from what I read should be a good snow tire to go snowboarding this winter. Maybe the snow run too! I've never used Les Schwab before, absolutely incredible customer service and quick turnaround. Pricing attached. IMG_7258.JPGIMG_7257.JPGIMG_7295.PNG

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just got the RAZR's mounted today, from what I read should be a good snow tire to go snowboarding this winter. Maybe the snow run too! I've never used Les Schwab before, absolutely incredible customer service and quick turnaround. Pricing attached.
They look narrow to me. According to Maxxis the LT265/70R17 is supposedly 31.8x10.8. Is it just the angle? How wide are those TRD rims? Seem like a nice size and useful all around tread.

IMG_7257.JPG

PhillyB77

Maybe the shadowing? Standard TRD wheels so I dunno. Here is a shot from the garage.

IMG_7263.JPG

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Maybe the shadowing? Standard TRD wheels so I dunno. Here is a shot from the garage.

View attachment 122441
Yeah, that shot looks less super skinny.

The outside photo looked to me like the rim would be vulnerable aired down. That's one reason I moved away from 235/85R16. But those are 9.25" section width and the tread width is less than the wheel width by about 1/2" or so.

You can kind of tell here that when the tyre would squish the rim lips would get outside the tread. They're only aired down to maybe 25psi or so, they aren't super low here. I had to replace my rims since there were enough chunks scraped off that Discount wouldn't work on them.

IMG_4362_mid.jpg

Last edited:

PhillyB77

Are those the K02's? I can't tell

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, that shot looks less super skinny.

The outside photo looked to me like the rim would be vulnerable aired down. That's one reason I moved away from 235/85R16. But those are 9.25" section width and the tread width is less than the wheel width by about 1/2" or so.

You can kind of tell here that when the tyre would squish the rim lips would get outside the tread. They're only aired down to maybe 25psi or so, they aren't super low here. I had to replace my rims since there were enough chunks scraped off that Discount wouldn't work on them.

View attachment 122444
Ha, those tires obviously passed my inspection. We must have wheeled a bunch way back then @DaveInDenver. 👍🍺

Yota_addict

Wincher
Just got the RAZR's mounted today, from what I read should be a good snow tire to go snowboarding this winter. Maybe the snow run too! I've never used Les Schwab before, absolutely incredible customer service and quick turnaround. Pricing attached.View attachment 122418View attachment 122417View attachment 122416
The first time ever going to Les Schwab they pulled a nail and plugged my tire for free. Most shops charge for this so I was surprised. Definitely nice customer service there.