The Train Trip. June 15th- 18th, 2023.

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Just a quick note that the tentative plan is for Perry to lead a chase on the west (Chama) side on Thursday, we will ride on Friday, and on Saturday I will lead a chase on the east (Antonito) side. Maybe including a hike or two to a couple of really neat photo spots.

But if we end up going to Lava Tank, we should be prepared for rattlesnakes there. No more than boots are necessary, but I wouldn't let dogs roam near Lava Tank, and definitely have heavy boots for that. You can also skip Lava Tank, or just stay in your truck if that's too much for you.

I'm excited!

Dan

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
So is this an official Rising Sun run or is this just a bunch of people meeting to camp/wheel who happen to be in the club. Asking for a friend with a snake problem solver

IMG_8650.jpeg

Edit: Checking local NM regs Rattlesnakes are protected, I’ll notify my friend.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Edit: Checking local NM regs Rattlesnakes are protected, I’ll notify my friend.
really?! wow. you can evil kill them in kalorado, you just have to have a small game license, unless things have changed. we used to kill every single one we could find at the ranch..it was them or the horses and us.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
After not getting much sleep last night (not of my doing), I'm ready to blow downtown and head to camp. Packing 4runner now so I can leave after work tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up on the rock art!

For Saturdays chase, I'm really intrigued with Hangman and Lava Tank. We'd have to give up Big Horn Wye, but should be able to make Sublette and Osier.

So ready!

4.jpg

:beer: :beer:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
last minute panic of what to load in the truck. after years with the 80, everything was always just there. tomorrow will be a relax day, then thurs am, load up the perishables, drop hank at a friends, go to work and hope the bossman lets me leave early ;)

see y'all thursday night

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
We will be heading out Thursday morning, with a stop in Lafayette for @fyffer windows! Anyone wanting to link up on the way down just let us know

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
Just a quick note that the tentative plan is for Perry to lead a chase on the west (Chama) side on Thursday, we will ride on Friday, and on Saturday I will lead a chase on the east (Antonito) side. Maybe including a hike or two to a couple of really neat photo spots.

But if we end up going to Lava Tank, we should be prepared for rattlesnakes there. No more than boots are necessary, but I wouldn't let dogs roam near Lava Tank, and definitely have heavy boots for that. You can also skip Lava Tank, or just stay in your truck if that's too much for you.

I'm excited!

Dan
WTF you didn't tell me there were snakes involved. 😰

@AlpineAccess we are constantly at the airport, we can deliver mudflaps. 😊

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Cheapest Gas prices are in Alamosa, along the way and they always have been. Currently around $3.27 - 3.35 last I checked, compared to other places in the Valley.
Just saying

SteveT

Rising Sun Member
For those who haven’t done this before, how would you rate these trails?

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Okay folks!

The railroad has a reservation under my name (Daniel Silbaugh) and has a comment that it is for Rising Sun 4WD. What you need to do is CALL THE RAILROAD and ask to be seated with us. The phone numbers:
  • Antonito (719-472-3984)
  • Chama (575-756-2151)
  • Toll Free (888-286-2737)

We will need to be at the Antonito depot by 8:30AM on Friday, June 16, and will ride the bus to Chama, where we will board the train, riding all the way back to Antonito, arriving about 4:55PM. Lunch is provided in Osier, and the railroad has snacks and stuff for purchase on the train. I won't worry about bringing any food or snacks with me, personally.

I'm excited!

(photo of 168 at sunrise crossing Ferguson's Trestle to whet the appetite)

View attachment 115364

We plan on driving down Wednesday as well. And I intend to lead some folks to chase it for photos (mostly where we haven't gone before as a group), and maybe even a decent hike for photos at Cascade Trestle if anyone else would like to hoof it out there with me. Will plan on doing different chasing on Saturday. @SaintAgatha needs to get back to Denver Saturday night, so we will plan on making it a relatively short day chasing on Saturday--probably packing it up just around lunchtime,.

It's all very stock vehicle friendly, and super laid back. It's about seeing, feeling, hearing these amazing old machines doing what they were designed to do roughly 100 years after they were built...

Dan

Locked in a dog sitter and just bought our tickets for Friday! The nice lady I spoke to in reservations had a point that she reiterated to me several times that I thought was worth a mention here:

If we have not already picked up our tickets in advance, we should be at Antonito train station on Friday NLT 8AM to get our tickets. She said the bus leaves at 8:30 adhering to a strict schedule and that picking up tickets can take a little extra time.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
IMG_8039.png

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
think i'm ready...see y'all tomorrow night!!!

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Although I'm missing this trip, again, I'm drinkin with you guys in spirit...

20230615_195123.jpg

I'd never heard of this beer but had to try it for the name. It's pretty good!