The Train Trip. June 15th- 18th, 2023.

slimbuddha

New-ish
Hey all, this is Ron from down in NM (High Desert Cruisers). I'm very interested in doing this as a trip, though not crashing your run. Would anyone be interested in sharing me the trail GPS tracks? I'll create them if necessary, but it looks like this has been done several times and I'm sure someone has the route mapped already.

Thanks in advance.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Hey all, this is Ron from down in NM (High Desert Cruisers). I'm very interested in doing this as a trip, though not crashing your run. Would anyone be interested in sharing me the trail GPS tracks? I'll create them if necessary, but it looks like this has been done several times and I'm sure someone has the route mapped already.

Thanks in advance.
There is no one route. Just various dirt roads that intersect the tracks. Maybe someone has, but maps may be your best bet

DanS

Rising Sun Member

Thanks in advance.
Hey Ron!

1–you are more than welcome to come with us.
2–if you make it to an HDC meeting with Dad (barrys) he can tell you a bit about it.
3–I can make a track for you if you want, or at least get you good GPS coordinates. There’s a lot of snow this year, so this run might see some snow this year (I drove by it two days ago—lots of snow!)
4–you should come with us. Drag Ali with you. I’ll peer pressure him.

Dan

slimbuddha

New-ish
Hey Ron!

1–you are more than welcome to come with us.
2–if you make it to an HDC meeting with Dad (barrys) he can tell you a bit about it.
3–I can make a track for you if you want, or at least get you good GPS coordinates. There’s a lot of snow this year, so this run might see some snow this year (I drove by it two days ago—lots of snow!)
4–you should come with us. Drag Ali with you. I’ll peer pressure him.

Dan
Dan,
Thank you for the invite. I'm still waiting on my next ride to come in, and I don't think I'll have it prepared before this trip. I'll bring it up at our next meetup though. I'll try and catch a ride with you all later in the summer or fall.

Ron

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Hey @bh4rnnr Perry, I'm not going to be able to join. My son has a basketball tournament that weekend. Sorry to miss!

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I'm out on this one. I just updated my calendar with our reserved camping trips and all the other crap going on this summer and realized almost every weekend is booked.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I would like to do this one
Can you put me down?
Work always makes it a last minute situation but would love to do this one this year!

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Hey all, getting excited for this years Train Trip!

Sorry to not have posted much lately, been fighting a pretty nasty cold since getting back from Cruise Moab.

@DanS should be getting a group reservation set here shortly. This will allow us to be together when we ride the train. The plan for the train ride will be that we ride it on Friday the 16th of June. More info on that once Dan gets group res set up.

As far as chasing the train, need to think about this more since we got a good size group, will be a blast either way!

My current plan is to head down to camp at Sublette after work on Wednesday the 14th. Camp will be above the old track maintenance town of Sublette, NM.

Coordinates: 36°59'22.9"N 106°13'21.5"W

This is a pretty laid back but fun filled and family friendly run.

@Johnny Utah , sorry you can't make it man!
@Telly , sorry to hear, though not a bad problem to have for missing!
@simps80 , got you on the list. Hope you can make it!

:beer::beer:

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Okay folks!

The railroad has a reservation under my name (Daniel Silbaugh) and has a comment that it is for Rising Sun 4WD. What you need to do is CALL THE RAILROAD and ask to be seated with us. The phone numbers:
  • Antonito (719-472-3984)
  • Chama (575-756-2151)
  • Toll Free (888-286-2737)

We will need to be at the Antonito depot by 8:30AM on Friday, June 16, and will ride the bus to Chama, where we will board the train, riding all the way back to Antonito, arriving about 4:55PM. Lunch is provided in Osier, and the railroad has snacks and stuff for purchase on the train. I won't worry about bringing any food or snacks with me, personally.

I'm excited!

(photo of 168 at sunrise crossing Ferguson's Trestle to whet the appetite)

View attachment IMG_3818.jpeg

We plan on driving down Wednesday as well. And I intend to lead some folks to chase it for photos (mostly where we haven't gone before as a group), and maybe even a decent hike for photos at Cascade Trestle if anyone else would like to hoof it out there with me. Will plan on doing different chasing on Saturday. @SaintAgatha needs to get back to Denver Saturday night, so we will plan on making it a relatively short day chasing on Saturday--probably packing it up just around lunchtime,.

It's all very stock vehicle friendly, and super laid back. It's about seeing, feeling, hearing these amazing old machines doing what they were designed to do roughly 100 years after they were built...

Dan

PVCsnorkel

Lifted
anyone going to the Expo thing on Sunday that could pick up an exhaust jack for me to bring on the train trip?
I'm sure there will be plenty of jacks carried with the crew, I wouldn't worry about rushing to get one.

Old40Dog

Rising Sun Member
I'm purchasing a used one from Crash, I just need transport as I'm in Durango and can't pick up in Denver
I can do that for you Corbet. I know Steve well.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I usually try to get on the "going" list, and see how things shake out. Unfortunately we won't be able to make the trip.

Enjoy everyone!!

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Things are getting exciting! The railroad has had to bring in heavy equipment to open the line from Coxo to Cumbres Pass, and it's either open now, or will be today or tomorrow. 4 steam locomotives have been steamed up for testing for the season, and opening day is next weekend.

Dan