The Train Trip. June 15th- 18th, 2023.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Still trying to get on the Train, calling all the numbers and leaving messages, but no return calls. I'll keep tryin, though .....
i just called the antonito number and got right through.

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
i just called the antonito number and got right through.
Chama wont answer the 888 number don't call back. But I did get in, finally calling the Antonito one.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
At a minimum Im hoping to crash the camp fire for an evening.

Hope to see you there for a night! Throw back a few cold ones:)

:beer::beer:

I very regretfully have to pull out of the trip for this year. I was hoping to have the EFI put on my truck by now, but I haven't had a chance to start the project and I don't trust the Weber for that long of a trip.
I look forward to joining the trip next year when the 60 is in a much better spot.

Bummer Derek, sorry you won't be able to make it! Look forward to you joining next time! Hope you can get the 60 dialed in.

Just Camped nearby (Elk Creek CG, ~10miles) some snow but not too bad, but river and streams are full. There was a reported a sinkhole and a culvert damage on the border NM side of the Pass. Traffic was a little rerouted to a single file lane, maybe fixed by the time we get there?

Still trying to get on the Train, calling all the numbers and leaving messages, but no return calls. I'll keep tryin, though .....

Thanks for the info Mike! Wondered how the Rio de Los Pinos was flowing...

ok, i'm in. in the tundra and backseat camping, but i'm in. i'll be down thurs night, so i'll figure out where to meet up with everyone. @bh4rnnr will the sublette coordinates be a base camp?

now to get train tix

Sweeet!

This is my first train run and I am planing things on either side of this trip. So, just to clarify, we are meeting up and camping on Thursday, doing the train ride on Friday - returning to the same campground, chasing the train on Saturday - back to same campground (different campground?), then chasing the train on Sunday and then heading back home? ( I hope I did not miss a post with this info. Sorry if I did.)

Currently, it looks like my wife will be joining and our three dogs in an additional vehicle, so we will skip the train ride or arrive Friday afternoon.

Plan is to ride the train on Friday (taking a bus to Chama from Antonito and train back to Antonito from Chama). Thursday and Friday we will chase the train.

Chama wont answer the 888 number don't call back. But I did get in, finally calling the Antonito one.

Seemed to have best luck with Antonito as well.

Really getting excited for this trip and hanging out with everyone.

Was hopping to get head gaskets replaced for this trip, but guess will have to wait till after. Still currently Ham less (another thing to get looked at), so may need to borrow a handheld.

I'm planning on heading down to camp on Wed after work and so long as I don't get stuck in a ditch again, should be there around dinner time. Of course I'm taking same route as last time in hopes of redeeming myself.....:brick:

1.jpg

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

Bummer Derek, sorry you won't be able to make it! Look forward to you joining next time! Hope you can get the 60 dialed in.

Sweeet!

Plan is to ride the train on Friday (taking a bus to Chama from Antonito and train back to Antonito from Chama). Thursday and Friday we will chase the train.

Was hopping to get head gaskets replaced for this trip, but guess will have to wait till after. Still currently Ham less (another thing to get looked at), so may need to borrow a handheld.

I'm planning on heading down to camp on Wed after work and so long as I don't get stuck in a ditch again, should be there around dinner time. Of course I'm taking same route as last time in hopes of redeeming myself.....:brick:

View attachment 116325

Oh, I remember that mosquito infested recovery. As bad as any AK place I've been too.

bh4rnnr

@bh4rnnr

If I beat you down there should I lay claim to that same spot in the Aspens as we were at last time. Or I should say the last time I attended the run?

Corbet, these are the coordinates for our planned camp: 36°59'22.9"N 106°13'21.5"W

Same location, just further down the road. But yeah, if you beat me, go there.

:beer: :beer:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
The Hamilton's have train reservations for five. The whole family is coming including Jeff, Ann, Claire (24), Emma (22), and Jake (21). So there's three more gals.

bh4rnnr

The Hamilton's have train reservations for five. The whole family is coming including Jeff, Ann, Claire (24), Emma (22), and Jake (21). So there's three more gals.

Awesome!

Excited to have you guys along!:cool:

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Perry - "Plan is to ride the train on Friday (taking a bus to Chama from Antonito and train back to Antonito from Chama). Thursday and Friday we will chase the train."

Okay, so we need to be there Wed night, chase the train Thursday and Friday, then depart Sat, or late Friday. Sound about right? Thx.

bh4rnnr

Perry - "Plan is to ride the train on Friday (taking a bus to Chama from Antonito and train back to Antonito from Chama). Thursday and Friday we will chase the train."

Okay, so we need to be there Wed night, chase the train Thursday and Friday, then depart Sat, or late Friday. Sound about right? Thx.

Close!

Chase Thursday. Ride Friday (Bus to Chama, Train back to Antonito). Chase Saturday.

:beer: :beer:

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Anyone going to be at camp on Friday/not riding the train + that would be open to watching a well trained/social 40lb lab/collie mix in exchange for beers/food/Name Your Price! We haven't bought train tickets yet, so either way we are all good.

Additionally - is there anyone going on this trip that lives out by DIA? Trying to coordinate a set of mud flaps with @DougCruiser who lives out that way.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
i'll be in thursday night.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I don’t plan to ride the train Friday. Not sure if I’ll stay in camp all day. I have a less than well behaved Malamute to deal with. @AlpineAccess an your dog be tied up all day?
Good question - we have never put her on a tie out so I'm not sure how that would go. I've got a few lines out for dog sitting here at home yet, and if we don't drum something up we will have a great time, in good company, at camp on Friday!

fyffer

Rising Sun Member

Sweeet!

View attachment 116325

Then your’e going over this Bridge. Might want to stop and look for some Petroglyphs on the Wall NW side. Reported to me in retrospect, seen some pics of them and are not that well known.
IMG_0214.jpeg