Snow and Burrito Run Sun. Jan. 31st, 2021 Yankee Hill

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Steve. Matt Miller is going to lend Frankie some chains for his 31x10.5 tires. I will put him behind me (with my daughter in his pass. seat) Frankie and I haven't actually wheeled together yet.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I considered picking up a set of chains for this run but decided it's cheaper to drive behind a friend and have the tow strap ready.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
What's wrong with 146.460?

I thought these were our standard RS frequencies (from the thread in the Ham section)
RS#1--146.460
RS#2--146.580
RS#3--147.420
RS#4--147.540

Also, I have additional sets of chains to lend if anyone needs, as I will not be able to go. I have another set for 31x10.50-32x11.50, should fit 265/75/16 - 255/85/16 or thereabouts. Probably won't fit 33x10.50.

I also have an additional set of chains to fit 285/75/16 (285/70/17) which should also go to 33x12.50.

I may also have a set to fit 35x12.50, but haven't tested them yet on tires that size and may need to actually cut them a little shorter. Would need to test fit at my house.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What's wrong with 146.460?

My understanding is that the Int'l Space Station communications are now being re-transmitted on 146.460. Seems like 147.420 has become our standard over the last couple of years.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We're planning on being there.
@Mrs. Hulk would like to request a vegetarian burrito. :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Ok moving to the 146430.

Hope we can standardize on one for our club use. (In another thread) The sticker on my Runner still says 146460.o_O

My understanding is that the Int'l Space Station communications are now being re-transmitted on 146.460. Seems like 147.420 has become our standard over the last couple of years.

Thanks, I forgot about that.

denvermike

Rock Stacker
I plan to be there. Will be driving the 40. Probably + 1 friendly lab. (Doubtful I can talk a kid into it.)

Camo80

Rising Sun Member
It's time for the annual Snow Run. It sure will be nice to get back out on the trail. This year we will pass on the group meeting for pizza afterwards. Instead, I figure I will buy about 50-60 breakfast burritos from Santiago's and hand them out to people at the drivers meeting and throughout the day.

Date: Sun. Jan 31st, 2021
Meeting Time: 8:30-9:00 am - Leave at 9:30

Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City. Go due west out of Central City up the hill about a one mile. At the top of the hill
west of Central City at the multi fork in the road. Continue on the middle road west 1/2 mile and look for the new Yankee Hill trailhead on the right. Vehicles with trailers can park there.
39°48'43.9"N 105°32'26.1"W (39.812190, -105.540586)

CB Channel 4 - Ham - 146430
Will will air down and/or chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place.

Difficulty - this run is open to everyone. The only requirement is to have hard points front and rear for strapping purposes and of course a strap ready to go. A shovel and additional recovery gear is highly recommended. As was mentions have a good radio is key on this run for many reasons. I am new to GRMS/FRS so will need to borrow one I suppose.

Based on the conditions the ice could be a serious consideration. Especially on the hill above the middle parking lot. Coming down down that spot last year was a bit of an uncontrolled slide . Fortunately the ruts kept your on the road. So chains may come in handy. I don't use them myself. but I do have a new set of mud tires.

Be prepared to stay warm and dry with winter clothing and boots. It can be really cold and windy up there.

Here is a picture from last year.
View attachment 91720

Camo80

Rising Sun Member
I’m the new guy. This is my 1st run & looking forward to it! Bringing my brother and driving the 80. I would like to barrow a GMRS if there is an extra one. I’ll also will take advise on a hand held unit and a mobile. I’ll getting both. Ham will be next

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Miller has all the chains wow thanks. I've got 10 vegi burritos in the mix. 50 chorizo and other meats. Plus Perry's dairy fee one (ill get him an extra). 86 total from burrito kings in my neighborhood. There bigger. I wasn't getting a confident feeling with Santiago location for that many burros.

Totally cool Treeroot and his Dad are coming. Some serious veteran snow wheelers in the mix. Hope the less experienced drivers pick up some skills.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Anyone have any recommendations if I want to pick up a pair of gmrs/frs radio for this trip? I've long considered getting two. Would be helpful for spotting since we do so much solo wheeling in the summers.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Anyone have any recommendations if I want to pick up a pair of gmrs/frs radio for this trip? I've long considered getting two. Would be helpful for spotting since we do so much solo wheeling in the summers.
I have the Midland X-Talker T51VP3 and T71VP3 FRS handhelds, and they’ve always performed flawlessly.

For tomorrow, I’ll have 9 of these handhelds available for people to use (I’ve got 5 on hand and I’m picking up another 4 this afternoon). I’ve got a mounted CB radio and an MXT400 GMRS radio in the truck, so I’m happy to serve as a “bridge” for those using GMRS/FRS radios.

denvermike

Rock Stacker
I have the Midland X-Talker T51VP3 and T71VP3 FRS handhelds, and they’ve always performed flawlessly.

For tomorrow, I’ll have 9 of these handhelds available for people to use (I’ve got 5 on hand and I’m picking up another 4 this afternoon). I’ve got a mounted CB radio and an MXT400 GMRS radio in the truck, so I’m happy to serve as a “bridge” for those using GMRS/FRS radios.
If I can borrow one, that would be awesome. I’ve talked my wife into coming too
-mike

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I'll be there. I hope I-70 isn't a parking lot like it was last year, made me late for the meetup. Oh and I looked up GMRS/FRS and I have a pair of those, I'll bring them. I didn't know what they were called other than you're supposed to have a license for certain channels.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I'll be there. I hope I-70 isn't a parking lot like it was last year, made me late for the meetup. Oh and I looked up GMRS/FRS and I have a pair of those, I'll bring them. I didn't know what they were called other than you're supposed to have a license for certain channels.
Hopefully not. I hear the snow at the resorts isn’t that good

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee