Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Another benefit of RS being down - I spent a couple of evenings becoming familiar with the ARRL manual. Who needs warm milk or sheep counting when you've got frequencies, wavelengths, and modulation?? :bored: :lmao:

Looking forward to the class!

X2 My Ambien has nothing on this book, love those pictures.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Update for 1-31-08 31 People!!

I updated the list(Again). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
Follow the link:
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
Gail +1 (secretary for the state assn.)
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet

Wow! I never thought it would grow to this!

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Groucho,

Please make it Mendocino +1. My dad wants to take the class. As I stated in a PM, I will miss the first class but he sould be at all of them and I will only miss the 18th.

Thanks,

Jeff

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
**Update for 2-5-08**By My count--32 participants

I updated the list(Again). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
Follow the link:

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino +1
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+

YOU CREATED A MONSTER :bolt::lol:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Cut, Paste, Slash, Burn, Print or Whatever and bring them to class !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Brian for posting the notes up in the other thread!! :cheers:

If anyone is interested, I cut & pasted the notes into a Word doc. I added a little bit of formatting to help me section out the sections...Feel free to modify as you please for you reading style :thumb: - 22 pages and don't forget to bring them to class :)

I also posted this up in the other thread...

EDIT: Updated the .doc attachment with the additional notes that have been posted

Attachments

• HAM Notes for Rising Sun Class.doc
    98.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Try to arrive early(up to 30 minutes) so we can start on time!!!

I updated the list(For the last time). Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

Dates:
Time:
7-9 PM (Please try to arrive up to 1/2 hour early so we can get things going! Thanks!)
Follow the link:

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino +1
Tramontana +1
gcmandrake
Shorty
Corbet
Red Cruiser

See you all Monday! Arrive early so we can get things rolling!

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Groucho-

Do we need to bring a copy of the book or is it just supliment to what is being discussed. Either way I am sure Uncle Ben beat me to it. :D

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Bring the book to ollow along.

That way we can move fast.

Bummer, my wife is down with the "crud" and can't make it tonight. If the space in class is limited, there is one opening that I can volunteer up.

I'll still be there. Cheers!

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
will be late, maybe not at all...sickness here too

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
stuck on a project...

still at work...won't be released until after 8...see you guys next Monday. (sigh)

Hey Groucho...let's talk about "remote learning" this week...maybe it'll get you familiar with our service. ;)

Failed

Tried the practice exams and got 69.9 on three tries. better than I got before tonight though.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Tried the practice exams and got 69.9 on three tries. better than I got before tonight though.

Sean, you'll do just fine when the real test comes. Being that you are still in high school and have active "learn it quick" skills that seem to atrophy in us older folks - I would wager that after one read through of this you will be consistently passing the practice exams. :thumb:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Now that most of the boring stuff is outta the way...

We can begin on learning the "hands-on" schtuff. Stay tuned for some information to make those classes a little more interactive...

See ya next week. :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I mentioned something in passing last night that I think need a touch of clarification (see how this stuff rattles around my head, I'll bet I'm the only one still lingering on this). The slide said that for a properly designed antenna the capacitance and inductance cancel.

For the technician's licensing test, this will be TRUE. You can safely stop reading this post now.

Couldn't stop, eh? You're hooked, like it or not. This is only true at a specific physical length of an unloaded antenna (approximately 2% shorter than 1/2-wavelength for a dipole and 1/4-wavelength for a monopole) and really only at one exact frequency or phase. This is where the idea of "bandwidth", "reflected power", "gain" and "antenna impedance" begin to creep in, so I don't want to confuse anyone prematurely, since there's still a touch more boring technical things to cover. I will just say that when the term "resonance" is thrown out it often simply means that you have an acceptably low reactive (i.e. some non-zero combination of capacitance and inductance) impedance over a range of frequencies.

In the end it's splitting hairs on a term. You do want ideally a perfectly resonant antenna, but that is not realizable in the real world if you want to use more than one frequency or have some directivity (or gain). So you live with compromises. Often to make real antennas look resonant to the transmitter you have to add components. A true resonant antenna will have no loss beyond the extremely small heating of the whip and any time you add components, you reduce the amount of energy radiated by the antenna itself. So to imply that a tuned antenna at resonance will radiate all the energy from your radio is not right for all antennas. Now WAKE UP AND BACK TO WORK!

Last edited:

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for that clarification Dave. I spent half the night mulling this over in my head :p:

On a positive note, I took my first two practice tests and scored 74% and 80% on them. And I aced the questions on Electricity concepts :thumb: