Rising Sun HAM Radio Wives Class

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
So can we take the test at one of these classes?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
*Update* 1-18-08

I updated the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
Gail +1 (secretary for the state assn.)

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So can we take the test at one of these classes?

Brian(SeldomSeen) is working on getting a VEC and 2 VE's to the last class to take the test.
VEC = Volunteer Examiner Coordinator
VE = Volunteer Examiner

We need all three to administer the test for us. Brian said he has a contact who may be able to convince the other two folks we need to come and give us the test. Look for updates.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, I got this book from the library.
"Now You're talking! All you need for your first Amateur Radio License"

Official ARRL License Manual. I would think that should work too or do you want us to have the ones you listed?

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
"Now You're talking" is the older version and will work fine, it doesn't quite follow the outline Groucho used in the last class, but all the info you'll need to pass the exam is in there.

So far, the test is a go. The where, when and why is taken care of only the who needs to be ironed out. The VEC has it on his calender, he just needs to round up 2 VEs to admin the test.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Nathaniel, I got this book from the library.
"Now You're talking! All you need for your first Amateur Radio License"
Official ARRL License Manual. I would think that should work too or do you want us to have the ones you listed?

Tom, actually that is only one book that Nathaniel lists...It just has a very lonnnnnng title. Found that out when I did a search on Amazon.com and came up with the same book each time :hill:

"The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual -- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator"

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Hey Brian, any word on the VEC/VE hams and their license level? I've been trying to get in to take my general test, just never find the time...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
"Now You're talking" is the older version and will work fine, it doesn't quite follow the outline Groucho used in the last class, but all the info you'll need to pass the exam is in there.

So far, the test is a go. The where, when and why is taken care of only the who needs to be ironed out. The VEC has it on his calender, he just needs to round up 2 VEs to admin the test.

I'm thinking I might study up and take my general at the class if thats possible....is it?

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
I mentioned to the VEC that there would be several people wanting to upgrade, he said it would not be a problem.

"Now You're talking...." and "ARRL Ham Radio License Manual...." are 2 different books. "Now You're talking...." was used b/4 the code requirement was dropped and contains info for obtaining the tech + ticket. Tech + no longer exists. Both books cover the all the basics needed to pass the exam.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Tom, actually that is only one book that Nathaniel lists...It just has a very lonnnnnng title. Found that out when I did a search on Amazon.com and came up with the same book each time :hill:

"The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual -- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator"

Actually, Brian is the most correct. That manual is old. The new one(which was released in summer 2006) is what you have listed, Jeff, and follows my lesson plans. The older version is not the same book, in the fact that the outline is different in how the information is presented. Just means that Tom will have to go back and forth from front to back to find the sections we are discussing, where those with the new book will just follow along from front to back.

I'm thinking I might study up and take my general at the class if thats possible....is it?

As long as all the Ve's are licensed high enough to administer the general exam, should be no problem. That is what Dave was asking about.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
The library has the other book you are using too but it is checked out. As soon as it comes back I will snag it. If it does not come back before then i will buy it somewhere I hope. That is a darn long title......................how about TARRLHRLM--AYNTBAARO Wow that is still to long.... ;-)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
OK, found the book at B&N for 22.45 ( I am a book club member) with tax basicly $25.00 Online cheapest was 17.?? plus $3.99 so $22 +- spend $3 more but I can read it this weekend already.

No flipping back and forth for me!!!!! PS they have more at the SW Plaza store and at the Tattered cover on Colfax. Normal price is $24.95

Edit 5:15 I am now the proud owner of the latest edition of the ARRL book...............NO Flipping YEAH!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Will the VEC be qualified to admin for the Amateur Extra test? Just wondering...

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Extra Class

Usually these guys are extra classs HAMs. They can administer all the exams.
I have been studying for a while on the extra stuff, and I'm still a little under-prepared.

Just a FYI, the Extra exam is 50 questions, with a passing score minimum of 35, whereas the general and tech exams are 35 questions with a passing score of 25(IIRC).

Go for it!

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Always room!

Glad to hear it, Matt.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Updated for 1-25-08--29 folks now!

I updated the list. Just to freshen the thread with the dates, times and locations, here goes:

HAM Radio Wives Class 2008
Dates:
February 11th, 18th, and 25th
Time:
7-9 PM
Stevinson Toyota West. RS Club Meeting room.
Book to help with class(available from public library, amazon and any of those folks who have taken the class previously)
The ARRL Ham Radio License Manual
-- All you need to become an Amateur Radio Operator

Here's the list:
Uncle Ben
Heather (Seldom Seen)
Rogue Leader
Mike Koons
Acon40
Jacket
Karie Farr
Matt Miller
Red Chile
Drew
Rock Runner
Art Hog
BillVanBeek
LeinesRed
Mrs. Teasdale
CardinalFJ60
Corsiar
Jeanette Nelson
Michele Nakari
rock_wagon
JadeRunner
JohnInDenver
timmbuck2
Mendocino
Tramontana +1
Gail +1 (secretary for the state assn.)
gcmandrake

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Sweet, got my book at Barnes and Noble last night - I'm stoked!

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Another benefit of RS being down - I spent a couple of evenings becoming familiar with the ARRL manual. Who needs warm milk or sheep counting when you've got frequencies, wavelengths, and modulation?? :bored: :lmao:

Looking forward to the class!